Rex Hunt has notched up 2000 games of football broadcasting

worst caller in football.

l enjoyed him.
Also enjoyed the Captain and the Major.

Difference is that you had some idea what was happening on the field with the Captain and Major.

Rex is the worst radio commentator in the last 40 years.

You over rate the man. Worst commentator ever. Any media. Full stop.

l enjoyed him.

Difference is that you had some idea what was happening on the field with the Captain and Major.

Ha ha Ha.

Rex was a decent TV caller when the viewer has pictures ( i remember him calling the VFA ) but shocking as a radio caller.

l enjoyed him.

Ha ha Ha.

Rex was a decent TV caller when the viewer has pictures ( i remember him calling the VFA ) but shocking as a radio caller.

I want a commentator to tell me what is going on, not force me to spend all my time deciphering infantile nicknames.

And I despise broadcasters so lacking in skills that they equate shouting with excitement/tension.

Rex was my personal commentating nightmare.

l enjoyed him.

Ha ha Ha.

I want a commentator to tell me what is going on, not force me to spend all my time deciphering infantile nicknames.

And I despise broadcasters so lacking in skills that they equate shouting with excitement/tension.

Agree with your sentiments.

I suspect that some posters have grown up in recent times with extensive TV coverage, rather than following the footy on radio.

It gives you a different sentiments.

And Rex Hunt forced the resignation of one of the all-time great radio commentators in Bill Jacobs.

EDIT... Just curious did, Rex do something inappropriate

LOL.

l enjoyed him.

Ha ha Ha.

I suspect that some posters have grown up in recent times with extensive TV coverage, rather than following the footy on radio.

And Rex Hunt forced the resignation of one of the all-time great radio commentators in Bill Jacobs.

I grew up in the era of radio broadcasts and minimal tv coverage through the eighties and loved it. It made me hungry to find anything that I could on the game as it wasn't at the saturation levels that it is today.

I loved listening to Geoff Leek and Doug Bigelow on the ABC and even Drew Morphett and a younger, dare I mention, Tim Lane… uurrgh shudder…sorry but he was quite good in those days as a caller.

Later on I switched to Rex and did enjoy his calls for a little while when he was at his peak but did tire of him as his profile grew and his success started getting to his head.

Throughout the nineties I loved Bruce and Dennis, particularly on Friday night games. Bruce’s Rain Man-like abilities with stats and Dennis’s clever little quips and silky, smooth delivery were a highlight. Now twenty years on their commentary grates on my nerves as it feels like that they’ve been stuck back in those days and just haven’t grown with the modern game.
Plus it’s all too familiar and boring now.

Actually Peter McKenna and Don Scott were good value back when the Eagles entered the comp with their pro-Vic bias which used to really rankle their supporters. Growing up as an Essendon fan in Perth was great when these two were on, as all the Eagles fans would lose their ■■■■ and complain about them whenever they would do the special comments for their games.

Lou Richards would have to be my all-time favorite though as he brought real colour and excitement to a game through his calls. Will always cherish his call of the final quarter of the '84 GF.

Rex is an interesting person. In the 50s and 60s we lived in nearby streets in Parkdale, played junior footy at the Parkdale Rec in the Federal League. Equally skilled at school in cricket and footy and talking, he has done very well for himself considering he left school at about the age of 15-16. He is definitely an extrovert; basically what you see/hear is what you get with Rex. Full points to him for introducing a new style of fishing program, and adding his own unique personality to football commentary. It is a bit unfortunate that he is probably going to be best remembered for being outed for a peccadillo that exposed him to accusations of hypocrisy. Show me a man who hasnt had some “forbidden” sexual exploits, and show me any man who has never been to some extent a hypocrite. Rex is one of the more colorful characters I have known.

Like other Blitzers, I found his later style of commentary with all the rhyming player names very annoying tbh.

Paul Salmon. Crouches over. Adjusts the hosiery. LInes up. Skippity-skip hop hop hop and kicks a gooooooal. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL TO FISH SALMON!

l enjoyed him.

Ha ha Ha.

Now there was a man I couldn't stand...Bill Jacobs. Whiny old b*tch.
’Twas a disaster when he swapped with BT.

BT ruined 3AW, and I take it 3AW’s blokey moronity ruined Rex.

thats where everyone gets ruined. BT was really good before he went to 3AW and Chanel 7. I cant remember were he was before that but he was fun once upon a time.

rex was good in the yaaaaaaablett years but now appears narcissistic and a bit of a plunker

Don’t know if it still exists but about 14 years ago his fish and chip shop in South Melbourne was ridiculously expensive and really not that good at all.

Don't know if it still exists but about 14 years ago his fish and chip shop in South Melbourne was ridiculously expensive and really not that good at all.

Clearly due to the thugs in the scallop industry.

Terrible commentator. I could never work out wtf was going on.

Is also guilty of environmental vandalism in my opinion, by continuing to release foreign species in our waterways.

I did do some work at his joint once. Is a great payer.

I cant remember the name of the street, but yeah, in Beaumaris, overlooking Ricketts point type of thing.
Had the deepest pool i’ve seen in a backyard, and a putting green.

I did the usual thing, thought of a number and doubled it, and he pulled out a wad of cash and paid me on the spot.
I suspect he had been stuffed around for quite a while, and was pretty happy he had finally found a tradie that had sorted things out for him.

I used to work a capital golf course.some significant people play golf there.he is not one of them.

I used to work a capital golf course.some significant people play golf there.he is not one of them.

Interesting,The guy that referred me to Rex was a greenskeeper at capital.

I cant remember the name of the street, but yeah, in Beaumaris, overlooking Ricketts point type of thing. Had the deepest pool i've seen in a backyard, and a putting green.

I did the usual thing, thought of a number and doubled it, and he pulled out a wad of cash and paid me on the spot.
I suspect he had been stuffed around for quite a while, and was pretty happy he had finally found a tradie that had sorted things out for him.

Yep, prices of homes in that street range from $3 to $5M on the beach side because of the view and the elevation. Prices are a lot less on the land side. Problem with those blocks with a view are that they face south overlooking the bay and when the south west wind blows, the outdoor areas are very very exposed and its pretty unpleasant 50% of the time during summer and bad about 100% of the time from March to September.