Richmond def Essington Turnoverfest at the G: Review Thread

You pretty much nailed it

Well said

Tell us something we don’t know.
Did Woosha make any positional changes at all?

2 out of 3 marquee games for 2017 is a big improvement for good old Essington. GWS are gettable with all their injuries. Just hope the real Essendon turns up. Go Bombers!

2 Likes

Not sure if Woosha has supreme confidence that plan A will eventually deliver a flag or he simply has no plan B. We were outcoached again and our selections are baffling. We’ve been smashed for clearances every week even when we win yet refuse to play Bird who is soooo much better than Myers it’s not funny.

5 Likes

Very good summary. Richmond was able to get the game on their terms very early and in general play we were worked over all game and should have lost by 7 goals. Their pressure was excellent, they were disciplined in their zone and they gaurded the corridor well. We actually won the clearances and contested possessions but just didn’t have the poise to work the ball through their zone and we continued to turn it over in the most dangerous areas. I’m not sure what the answer is and I don’t know how many different styles of play you can teach a group in year 1, but we needed to slow it up a bit at times and badly needed to work harder. When we had the ball in defence, we looked so flat footed we just allowed Richmond to set up their system and stood within it, very little movement, no one running around the back looking to draw the player on the mark. It was very frustrating and clearly a system based issue. We also looked like we didn’t switch as much this week which to my mind has been a strength in our ball movement all year. The forward pressure was really poor tonight, I felt going in we could really hurt them with our smalls but when you loose the inside 50 count by 30 you’ve been beaten further up the field.

1 Like

Insult to injury, Hooker would have taken about 100 marks the way the Tigers were bringing it in.

Also, I’m so proud of being a member of the EFC and are forever thankful for Sheeds and his innovative mind. They’re now talking about Dreamtime ranking second behind Anzac Day and when you think about the national and cultural significance of both themes it’s great to know Essendon is a leader in this space. Give the Farmers game a few years to warm up and it’s status on the calendar will rise as well. Thanks Sheeds.

20 Likes

BC won the hit outs allright but they were mostly to the advantage of Richmond players. Did very little else around the ground. Nankervis stood up towards the end of the the game with a couple of telling marks and BC was nowhere to seen.

Richmonds short passing style of game has been the template at defeating Essendon this year.

Essendons desperation at getting the ball into their F50 quickly and playing on at all costs was their constant undoing all night and their inability to control the tempo of the game (plan B) was alarming.

One thing that struck me early was the Hollywood style of play Essendon insisted on playing. I suspect, after consecutive wins against 2 top 4 teams they thought they’d just turn up on the night and everything would fall into place. When challenged they had no answers.

All part of the learning process I guess

3 Likes

How will that help if the skills are appalling? Our structure was fine and it doesn’t magically change from how good we looked against west coast, we just didn’t execute well

3 Likes

Exactly, transitioning the ball out of the backline using accurate short kicks has been a weapon for us allowing us to kick long into space to our forwards. Tigers shut that down and we did not have a plan B. Having majority black jumpers like the Tigers would not have helped either.

More concerning was the lack of pressure in the forward half, not sure why …IMO at the end of the day team was a bit off and our game plan can’t cope with that. We will bounce back !

My feeling post game too. We missed a lot of kicks and ran ourselves into trouble a lot. It wasn’t just one avenue it was all the avenues. Not sure the stats but we must have turned it over 5 times a qtr. tough to stay in a low scoring game.

Lastly, the only thing that looked like getting us over the line was hitting that kick or handball. I understand the decision to try and win it the way we have other games.

Next three weeks look tough but no more so than the previous three and we should know more now what we have to do to win them.

Why would he?

I reckon our match ups and positions and structures and setups and game plan would’ve looked a whole lot better if our players stopped giving the ball away every other minute.

Can’t see how any of last night is on the coach.

12 Likes

Yep kinda have to agree with this, Tippa’s not used to the limelight. Went missing for most of the night. Was at the game and he seemed to be always running the opposite way to the ball drop at stoppages.

3 Likes

Same ■■■■, different year.

1 Like

Watching our kick outs and I’m having flash backs to Gary O’Donnell in 1997.

1 Like

Similar result to Melbourne game

Backline fantastic, got hammered and probably the only concern was Hartley, remember last year he was hitting contests hard and pubching long, tonight he was a step off the pace and didnt commit to the spoil with everything he had.
Dropped marks by Colyer and Hooker set the scene early - Clunk my ■■■■ has only taken 1 or 2 Clunks all year
Joe Dan good but mate their on to your wheeling around for the long shot, sure when your 4 goals up go for your life but in a tight game find a target
Raz is not good when he has a hard tag from a player just as quick and nimble, he can work on smarter play
Compare Hepp’s to Martins disposal wise, both got plenty but Dusty hit low hard targets over 30-50 meters Dysons looped high balls are to easily spoilt
Zach annoys the ■■■■ out of me, stop sheeping kicks behind the play. Look he can play but what happened to his ability to win his own ball?
Something to work on, Laverde is missed with his high half forward work, imagine the development he could have made with these games under his belt

Always bext week, out Hooker until he gets his Clunk back

One thing that irks me about our losses this year is that as soon as the conditions are slightly off (eg. wet, swirly wind, heat) our skills and decision making turn to ■■■■.

Most of our wins, apart from ANZAC Day perhaps, have been achieved in near perfect conditions.

How the variables in the weather continue to affect the way the team performs so dramatically farken astounds me, but then again we were putrid against Melbourne at Etihad with the roof shut too.

Maybe I’m looking for bullsh!t excuses for losing games like last night but it does get a little annoying when we don’t adjust to the conditions.

I didn’t think this game was as bad as everyone else is making it out to be. In fact until the middle of the last quarter I still thought we would win.
And playing as badly as we did, that is a very poor reflection on Richmond.
To me it was a game where everything was just a little “off” (that’s a technical term). Our timing was off.
The handball that just missed, the kick that fell just a little bit short. The player that took off in the other direction just as someone kicked the ball to them. The just missed tackle. Not the tackle that wouldn’t stick, but the tackle that just missed being made.
And like another poster on here I wondered about the lights. And I am not making excuses, I just wondered.
It was to me a game of split seconds. And for that reason I kept thinking that everything would gel at some stage and we would win.
Yes we had some passengers but it wasn’t thought lack of effort. No one played a full four quarters, but no one had a real stinker.
This was nothing like the Carlton and Melbourne games where players were not going in hard enough.
This was a game of split second off-ness.
Goddard was fantastic I thought. I thought Connor was good, Heppell was good.
I am not a Tbell fan and Tippa had one to forget. Fanta was good in the first quarter, McGrath was good in the last.
Our backline is to be commended and they are one of the reasons the margin was so low.
I don’t like losing but I didn’t think that game was as bad as others on here do. If our timing can be that bad and we still only lose by 15 we can take heart.
For the first time in a few years I feel that we are headed in the right direction, despite the loss.

19 Likes

How could our tackling be so good for 2 weeks then so putrid the next. We where brushed of like weaklings and it wasn’t just by martin it was by all there players.

That venom was just not there, we need to be able to bring intensity every week to be a good side.

Richmond where very good defensively, but the amount of times we turned the ball over when not under pressure was shocking.

Our defenders defended extremely well and it was a credit to them. But attacked poorly. Partly this was due to Richmond’s very good defensive structure, and pressure.

When we finially did get out we looked like scoring then would turn the ball over with shocking skill errors dropped marks by hooksy, poor kicks, and poor decision making.

With all this said we where still in the game all night, while doing a lot wrong. Its a pretty good sign to be able to play so poor and still almost get up.

3 Likes