RIP, Doc Reid

Not great news, hope he fights and beats it. Best wishes to him and his family.

1 Like

Is that not one of the worst brain cancers to get? All the best to do reid. Let’s hope he can pull through.

Its not great, not if cancer ever is. Unfortunately, once is spreads beyond the original source, it is considered too advanced to do anything. Very sad. Hoping not the case here.

Mesothelioma got my grand father, an industrial chemist by trade that used to literally grind asbestos. Tough tough way to go.

All the best to the doc and his family. i’m sure the club will do everything it can and he’ll literally have 100s of thousands of people cheering for him.

2 Likes

It’s not brain cancer. Is generally but not always in the lungs.

Also: fark ‘em up, Bambi.

1 Like

Oh, there you go. Must have it confused.

So sad! It is funny to think that there would not have been an Essendon game I have seen where he has not sat on the bench!

1 Like

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Doc.

1 Like

Sad news re Doc Reid.

Had a very dear friend pass away with Mesothelioma. :disappointed_relieved: It was only 3 months from diagnosis to passing away.

Hoping for Doc Reid it is early stages and he can be treated. All the very best to Doc Reid a wonderful servant of and to our club.

1 Like

The way browne researches you’d think he was a pot plant

1 Like

common amongst older builders

My beloved Aunty had it.

Terrible.

It took away so much and left her with little.

She was a nurse and cared for people all the time.

It wasn’t fair that someone who gave so much had to be spat out and put into the ground like that.

I hope Doc Reid and his family enjoy what they have left.

Everyone should know how this man has dedicated his life to the Bombers and to his patients. A truly great man indeed.

9 Likes

Can only hope that he caught it early. Club won’t be the same without him around, hopefully he’ll be cheering on the boys (and girls) for many years to come.

5 Likes

That is very sad news… I’ve never met Doc Reid but have so much respect for him (which doubled when he told the afl to gagf).
He has given so much to the club, players and their families over many years.
Good luck doc. Hope you beat this ■■■■■■■ awful disease.

Love you doc - best wishes from Jackie and Tiffany.

8 Likes

Great man. Shocking disease. Life just isn’t fair.

The treatment he copped during the saga was disgraceful he would have never put the players in danger. like everyone else at the club he got hoodwinked by that piece of ■■■■ Stephen Dank and for his troubles he now cops this terrible disease.

All best Doc you will be missed

1 Like

Watching my grandfather die of lung cancer was one of the worst 6 month periods of my life. Condolences and best wishes to Bruce and his family.

Mesothelioma is a swine of a cancer. 80% of mesotheliomas are caused by contact with asbestos. Recovery rate is not enormous, either.

Thanks for everything you have done for the Club, Doc. If the Board and Chief Executive had followed your example, the Saga would not have caused half the havoc that it did at the Club.

An honourable man and a courageous one, too. You’re in our thoughts, Doc.

5 Likes

Terrible , terrible news. As for peoples’ expressed thoughts of him beating it… sadly no-one beats mesothelioma.

That and pancreatic cancer are probably the two most incurable, but the lung complications probably causes more suffering.

(As Julie Bishop would have known when she defended asbestos manufacturer against mesothelioma sufferers)

5 Likes