RIP, Doc Reid

You’re right, AT, unfortunately. No one truly “beats” it. But there are cases of sufferers extending out to 5, even ten years , post diagnosis. Usually for Peritoneal Meso, from what I can gather.

We all obviously hope for best possible.

Great man.
■■■■. Disease.
Strong man.

Dr Reid
You are in our thoughts and prayers

2 Likes

There’s been a mountain of well wishes on social media from all places within AFL circles, some totally unexpected (e.g. Wayne Carey).
I wait with interest to read them from Fat Andy, Gill The Dill and indeed the AFL…
I hope Doc uses what time he now has (which we all hope is lengthy…) to do something constructive, like write a book… it would be fascinating reading…

No. He should spend what time he has left with his family, not reliving the Saga.

9 Likes

Our thoughts are with Dr. Bruce Reid, his family and friends, thank you Bruce, for all you have done not only for this mighty club but everyone you have touched both in and out of football.

Blessings to you and yours.

2 Likes

The Doc has a wonderful sense of humour which we used on the cover of Jackie & Tiffany2.

12 Likes

He had a boner?

Same here. Took my uncle too. We were best of friends. He suffered quite a lot…terrible disease.

1 Like

Been spotted in the box against the doggies?

Any updates on the prognosis ?

Ah ■■■■. Terrible news and my deepest wishes for the best for him and his family. I see a lot of meso claims in my line of work so I know he has pretty long odds. :sleepy:

1 Like

There is no good prognosis for mesothelioma, it’s universally terminal.

He’s doing really well…better than expected

7 Likes

I’d had a crook back starting in my late Twenties, treated by a heap of Chiropractors, physios and others, some helped most didn’t. In 97 the back started to get bad again and as usual I put up with it, it got worse in 98 and in 99, as I was due to retire in Jan 2000, I thought I would visit the new hospital at LaTrobe Uni, and get a free consultation, I arrived early one morning asked to see a doctor. Out comes Dr Reid, well I was astounded. Reidy put me on, in his words a strong course of Anti Inflammatories, come back in 14 days and we’ll see. It’s now 20 Years
I’d just like to thank you Dr for your help and what you’re done for me and EFC.

12 Likes

He was on the podcast - said that he is going ok and that he has had immunotherapy. Just recently, some more was identified and he is back on the immunotherapy and another treatment (I think he sad chemo). He was upbeat but he still can’t identify how he got the mesothelioma… he thought it could have been home renos many years ago.

Far out, saw this thread bumped and thought the worst

4 Likes

Sorry for thread bump - Doc isn’t doing so good. The boys on the pod were wishing him well and sending their regards.

8 Likes

:cry:

Not sure if there is a more loved Essendon figure who isn’t a player (or Sheeds).

Let’s hope he can turn it around.

10 Likes

:anguished: