Rohan Connolly - Writing for essendonfc.com.au in 2018

what’s wrong with Shaw?

1 Like

Unshaw…

6 Likes

Oh please. You want him to quit his job because his employer he did something he may not have liked? Sure there’s a few noble people out there that would do it, but most of us need to keep feeding the family.

3 Likes

Plenty.
But nothing for discussion here.
Let’s just settle on I don’t like him.
As a person.
At all.

1 Like

I don’t mind Rohan. Glad to have him on board.

1 Like

Same. To be fair I’ll listen to most Essendon supporters talk about the club. Although Lloyd, did we mention he was a good footballer.

3 Likes

He took a redundancy from Fairfax a year ago. Just for the record.

4 Likes

l am prepared to withhold judgement until he has written an article or few. sure his writing will be a different flavour to the reviews done by Rob Shaw, and l expect that. l hope there is a decent level of analysis. If there is that much, l will count it as a good start.

Didn’t really rate shaws articles. seems like a relic to wheel out for the older crowd.

1 Like

(re-assumes role of the resident raving silhouette-webpage kook) I think that’s an excellent suggestion. There is plenty of scope to value add to the site with information that would be of interest to the members/fans. You can have the human interest stuff, but also hard footy info for the “serious” Essendon supporter.

You hit the nail on the head - it’s about caring enough to think it is worth doing.

1 Like

I really enjoyed that article. Good read.

I too will miss Robert Shaw. He helped me understand the game.

1 Like

Can’t stand him, just another reason to avoid the website and get my bomber news from here.

Tasmanian rivalry, love it.

I did like Shaw’s articles, will be interesting reading Connoly’s. As SMJ said, he is one of the few who will write about games, not often getting involved in politics. I thought Shaw had a great football brain, be interesting to see it from Connoly’s perspective where he is probably about as analytical as quite a few on here. That’s not having a go at him (or intention isn’t) but he probably sees the game in a similar way that we would (excluding the one eyed folk)

I’ve never understood the argument he should have been more critical of Caro and the age. Despite what he feels privately it would be unprofessional and career limiting of him to publicly criticise his boss and his employer. He made it clear where he stood which was fair enough.

Anyway I like Rohan as a journalist. He focuses on the footy rather than the off field rubbish. Happy to have him on board.

3 Likes

Doubt he has ever mentioned that.

Except he wasn’t a drummer… What’s wrong with being nostalgic about your brother who drank/dabbled himself to death anyway?
Would rather read that than a single word spewed by 99.99% of the smug, self-important, self-absorbed, self-interested football media.

Fark me, if you’d rather read the vitriol of SWMNBN, Fatprick and Purple, the incoherent utterings of Slobbo or the AwFuL-approved scribblings of anyone from Fat Hutchy’s stable of kissarses then you are clearly farked in the head.

At the very least, Connolly at least does his level best to uphold the basic tenets of journalism, which is as rare as rocking-horseshit these days…

11 Likes

Perhaps he ca help out with the media releases and get rid of the fluff in them. The one on RMIT was a doozey

1 Like

Yeah because this place is full of facts…

6 Likes

The point about that photo is that he is an Essendon supporter, who “liked” Collingwood’s style of play so much he agreed to be put on the jumper. It was a stunt for an article. Nothing more.