Rookies

Claremont colts ruckman Darcy Cameron is training with Essendon in the hope of being snapped up by the Bombers in tomorrow's rookie draft.

Cameron was overlooked in last Thursday's national draft despite a stellar season with the Tigers and outstanding test results at the national draft combine.

Three ruckmen were selected in the national draft, with Michael Apeness heading to Fremantle in the first round, Greater Western Sydney picking Swan Districts' Rory Lobb in round two and Tasmanian Toby Nankervis going in the second round to Sydney.

The Bombers called Cameron last Friday to invite him to train at the club with several other potential draftees

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro confirmed the club was looking at Cameron as a potential rookie selection.

"Darcy Cameron is here training with a number of other young players," he said. "They will train with the VFL squad tomorrow. He is certainly one of a number of players the club is looking at for potential rookies."

The 203cm Albany junior ran a 2km time trial yesterday in 7min. 20sec. Cameron averaged more than 27 hit-outs and 12 disposals in his 16 colts games and 19.3 hit-outs and just under 10 possessions in four matches with WA at the national under-18 titles. Cameron performed strongly at the national draft combine in Melbourne last month, returning impressive results in the beep and agility tests while finishing equal second in the kicking test.

Last month, WA Football Commission State academy manager Raff Guadagnino heaped praise on Cameron.

"Darcy's hand-eye co-ordination is the best I have seen from a 2m-tall player in under-18s football since Nic Naitanui," Guadagnino said. "He is a good example of a player who prides himself on developing his skills."

Tomorrow's pre-season and rookie drafts are the last opportunities for AFL clubs to add players for the 2014 season

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/20023537/cameron-gets-last-shot-with-bombers/

So he's tall, fast, gets a lot of hitouts, super fit, athletic, excellent kick, and gets reasonable amounts of the ball.

What are the knocks?!

BRING HIM IN

Claremont colts ruckman Darcy Cameron is training with Essendon in the hope of being snapped up by the Bombers in tomorrow's rookie draft.

Cameron was overlooked in last Thursday's national draft despite a stellar season with the Tigers and outstanding test results at the national draft combine.

Three ruckmen were selected in the national draft, with Michael Apeness heading to Fremantle in the first round, Greater Western Sydney picking Swan Districts' Rory Lobb in round two and Tasmanian Toby Nankervis going in the second round to Sydney.

The Bombers called Cameron last Friday to invite him to train at the club with several other potential draftees

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro confirmed the club was looking at Cameron as a potential rookie selection.

"Darcy Cameron is here training with a number of other young players," he said. "They will train with the VFL squad tomorrow. He is certainly one of a number of players the club is looking at for potential rookies."

The 203cm Albany junior ran a 2km time trial yesterday in 7min. 20sec. Cameron averaged more than 27 hit-outs and 12 disposals in his 16 colts games and 19.3 hit-outs and just under 10 possessions in four matches with WA at the national under-18 titles. Cameron performed strongly at the national draft combine in Melbourne last month, returning impressive results in the beep and agility tests while finishing equal second in the kicking test.

Last month, WA Football Commission State academy manager Raff Guadagnino heaped praise on Cameron.

"Darcy's hand-eye co-ordination is the best I have seen from a 2m-tall player in under-18s football since Nic Naitanui," Guadagnino said. "He is a good example of a player who prides himself on developing his skills."

Tomorrow's pre-season and rookie drafts are the last opportunities for AFL clubs to add players for the 2014 season

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/20023537/cameron-gets-last-shot-with-bombers/

So he's tall, fast, gets a lot of hitouts, super fit, athletic, excellent kick, and gets reasonable amounts of the ball.

What are the knocks?!

We need to consider onselling games to Patterson's stadium at a decent rate. family and friends alone would ensure its a sell out every time.

What are the knocks?!

His names are confusing. They can both be first names and surnames.

What are the knocks?!
His names are confusing. They can both be first names and surnames.

And as first names they are also non gender specific. Great name. Versatile.

I know, it is far too confusing. DNPHU

Cameron a good option I think.

On other clubs Collingwood have structured their list so rookie Hudson can play Rd 1 if required (nominated rookie)

Also Hawthorn get serious ruck minutes out of Roughead

And on us. If we use Daniher in the ruck then we’ll be looking at Hardingham or someone similar at FF.

Darcy Cameron + Cameron Conlon

What are the knocks?!
He doesn't have leadership skills!

I rate Cameron highly.  He's only 87ish kg from memory, so will need a bit of physical development, but he's a great prospect and I was surprised to see him go undrafted.

My main knock on him is perhaps he doesn't push to create an option around the ground very well, and doesn't impose himself on marking contests very much.  By instinct I think he's the sort of running, extra-midfielder type ruck rather than the big-marking dual-position fwd-ruck, but he's got to sort his running patterns out before he can make a real impact in that role

afl.com.au has Darcy Cameron listed at 102kg.

I know his brother is an utter twat but has Essendon considered Joel Tippett ?

I'm not sure a mature aged Full Back is really what we need, unless we think he can play as a forward. But I doubt it as he doesn't have the same level of talent as his brother.

Exactly the sort of bloke we need. WSPHU.

Need another tall bloke that can develop as a goal kicker/pinch hitter...

I would then be very happy.

Gee LEROY is very lucky, we could use his spot on the list.

Looks like we are in to Conlon.

As is Collingwood.

As is Collingwood.

Ranga Ruckman. He'll cost a fortune in sun lotion but we'll have him.

Do Pies have a PSD pick?

Edit.

JUST five clubs are eligible to take part in Wednesday's pre-season draft with Greater Western Sydney to use the first selection on Sydney Swans' midfielder Jed Lamb. Collingwood has the second choice, with Richmond, Carlton and the Sydney Swans

I believe that list is based on clubs being allowed to have 38-40 on the senior list. Pies have 39 currently, so are allowed a pick in the PSD, but won’t be taking it, as they intend to go 39 main list with 5 rookies and have Hudson upgraded from Rd 1.

Swans plan on going 38 / 6 for salary cap reasons, so they also won’t have a PSD pick, and I assume others will be in similar situations.

I believe that list is based on clubs being allowed to have 38-40 on the senior list. Pies have 39 currently, so are allowed a pick in the PSD, but won't be taking it, as they intend to go 39 main list with 5 rookies and have Hudson upgraded from Rd 1.
Swans plan on going 38 / 6 for salary cap reasons, so they also won't have a PSD pick, and I assume others will be in similar situations.

Emma Quayle seemed to indicate on twitter today that GWS would take one pick and no-one else will take any.
Personally I don't see much point in the PSD any more now that we have free agency. Players have enough in their favour now, so I reckon scrap it and stop anyone doing a McPhee

I wonder who else was training with us?

As is Collingwood.

Ranga Ruckman. He'll cost a fortune in sun lotion but we'll have him.

He's a forward.

Like Daniher, playing him in the ruck would be a criminal waste.  Very very good mark, crappy tapwork.  And it's made worse in Conlon's case because he lets the ball get behind him when going for the tap and he reaches far, far back for it.  You find yourself cringeing and waiting for the inevitable snap-crackle-pop of shoulder ligaments the whole time.