Round 1 2019 Non Essendon Games

Yes, that’s what I really meant to say. Thanks

Tempting as it is, but keeping my powder dry until tomorrow arvo.

1 Like

I like the new kick in rule although miss the quirky kick to self which often resulted in a humorous stuff up.

3 Likes

Fark I hate Geelong, farken bunch of protected species

3 Likes

It’s only a 12 month lease? LOL!

Ironic that rule came in a year too late to save Goddard.

2 Likes

Poor Brendon. His timing in life hasn’t been the best.

3 Likes

How can you hate any side that defeats Collingwood?

People talk about Collingwood having some punchable heads but there is plenty of Cats players that deserve a fly kick to the face. Not helped by being coached by the biggest wanker in the comp either.

8 Likes

Fark carlton lost
Collingwood lost

Good start to round 1

2 Likes

I won’t be getting any joy out of Carlton and Collingwood losing until we get a win this weekend.

4 Likes

There is a crowded field for biggest wanker in the competition.

3 Likes

I should have said biggest wanker coach in the league. The Scott twins have the award jointly sown up. Absolute pair of cockswombles

6 Likes

The 6.6.6 rule in itself probably hasn’t made a difference to scoring. By my reckoning only 6 goals directly from a centre stoppage. Where it has made a difference is to secondary stoppages at centre bounces, only 3 secondary stoppages in two matches. I’ll check the data on that but it’ll be way down on past seasons I’d suspect. To those who think the Parfitt goal last night has been played up, I say this. That goal more than likely doesn’t happen in past years. Collingwood would’ve sent 3 or 4 players back to block up that forward line making a one on one contest difficult and even if they could’ve manufactured a one on one, the space to work in was that constricted that the game would’ve most likely been shut down. That goal is the poster child for the new rule.

I’m currently analysing the trends from the first two matches but that is where the impact of the new rules was most significant. The other is what Riewoldt highlighted on last nights fox coverage re the extra man in defence from Richmond. I’ve felt all summer they’d be the team most hurt by 6.6.6 as their game style relies on Rance or Vlaustin being the spare/intercept player and launching the counter from a shallow opposition entry. Despite the players they have in there, Richmond aren’t a dominant stoppage team. I think Melbourne will be most advantaged by it with Gawn, Jones, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw etc clearing the ball cleanly to an open forward line. The question is whether they have the forward potency to capitalise.

What I found most curious last night was the fact that neither team tried to manufacture that outnumber when they had a goal lead within the last few minutes. Why? Is it the no runners rule which they were concerned about losing all their structure? Surely teams have trained the 2 minute drill all summer for that scenario. Will be crunching the data and watching intently the other seven games. I think the teams that best expose the new rules early could potentially pinch a break on the rest of the comp which could equate to one or two games. If that’s the case and the competition is as close as we all suspect, that’s potentially the difference between a finals or top four spot.

6 Likes

I love how angry you are this year Aceman, embrace the hate man!

Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett are the most protected players in the comp. They squeal like stuck pigs on the rare occasions when they don’t get the free kick. I’d love to see someone put Selwood into next year with a swinging forearm.

2 Likes

You’re bang on mate. Richmond are most affected. Luckily the Bombers not so much.

Here’s a good breakdown for you:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-champion-datas-2019-afl-prospectus-on-how-666-starting-positions-will-impact-richmond-most-of-all/news-story/d8ed03ce4145fe4d764c482cb93024a6

Pretty sure he finishes most games covered in blood. So you’ll get your wish.

I want more than a bit of blood. The only way to stop him ducking is to be knocked out cold a couple of times.

1 Like

Geelong players tread a bit more wearily when playing the bombers I reckon.

They have been done cold, legally, with plenty of force a few times against us recently. Mainly at the hands of Tippa, but others aren’t afraid of their rep either.

But if we are making requests now, if someone could wrench Dusty’s arm off from the shoulder when he fends off, that would be great.