Round 1 - Ess v Hawks - Sunday 19th March 2023 - 3.20pm @ the G - the buildup

2 Likes

I more than happy to accept some bad losses if we prioritise playing the young players, especially when the team selection choices are borderline.

Choosing guys like Kelly, Phillips and Hep is not a great start from my perspective.

2 Likes

Iā€™d also like to see team selections reflect a firm focus on developing the future side. Hopefully that is BScottā€™s plan.

Maybe heā€™s tempering going all in by giving the youth an opportunity to get AFL ready in the VFL. Also to give the ā€œseniorā€ players who are earmarked for the future a chance to bed down the new game plan as he transitions in the youth.

All speculation. But I would expect heā€™d have a plan sketched on how he wants to build the 2025-27 sides.

1 Like

Came back next weekend

Win or lose I want to leave the game tomorrow knowing that the players gave it everything they got and im not talking about for a qrt or a patch for a full game.

Want to leave tommrow knowing ā€œi can see what we are trying to do it will take time but i can see itā€

No more rubbish where it looks like players dont give a fark or give up becuase the opposition decided to up the pressure want 100% commitment to the contest and an apetite to defend like their lives depend on it.

And if they do put in a great performance needs to be backed up the follwing week

3 Likes

I get that totally. For one, Iā€™d have played mass over kelly.

I think we are just unfortunate with injuries to young players that heppell and Phillips got picked

I imagine once players such as Hobbs, cox, Reid and voss get some continuity, theyā€™ll be given much more opportunities

The dog thread.

6 Likes

Both already have continuity atm - theyā€™re always injured.

He said in his press conference that the team will look and play differently by the next 4 - 6 weeks.
I suspect he is giving the senior players the chance to show their worth.
If not, theyā€™ll be out.
My guess is players like Heppell, Kelly, Phillips etc will out of the team atm by seasonā€™s end and the team will look very different.

12 Likes

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

1 Like

I like how Sdloemas thinks

This game will forever be known to me as the Harley Reid cup

3 Likes

Be worth it to finish last

He is a beast!!!

1 Like

so firstly YOU view what someone says as negative and then make a pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  remark about wanting to slit their wrists.
then If they actually lose and you know what people were saying comes true, you donā€™t want to come on here to see they were right (and not just negative) which shows you up as the coward you come across as, hiding when your view has been proven to be more leading to a delusion than a reality.

Hopefully either way it goes tomorrow you donā€™t stick around with ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  comments about people wanting to slit their wrists over a football match.

Even if we lose we will still not get pick 1 we would have to play worse than 2016

Ninoā€¦ā€¦.you follow Essendon. You should already know that we can be worse than 2016. Nothing surprises me anymore

3 Likes

So whatā€™s wrong with that? If we genuinely are struggling badly (and we are, unless youā€™re wearing rose coloured glasses), then most realistic assessments are going to be seen as ā€œnegativeā€. Spare me the foolā€™s optimism that so many seem to think is a good thing.

1 Like

BlondDJ
Things my Stupid Kids Say
Photos Iā€™ve Taken

Basically - any non-footy thread.

3 Likes

Well, to try and be positive, at least our forward line looks better than it did for round 1 last year. Even with the injury to Wright.

Iā€™d forgotten how many players in our forward line were injured at the start of last year

3 Likes

I went strawberry picking today. It was awesome.

8 Likes