Round 1 - Essendon v Hawthorn

Love the squad you’ve named for us Ivan, that’s who I would roll with exactly.

That Hawks squad is an interesting one. They’ve still got a top 2 forwardline (crows #1 for mine) but their midfield lacks class with Mitchell and Hodge out. I think Hooker and Joey can give their tall defenders a real touch up if we give them the chance.

I suspect both sides are going to be looking for a lot of goals ‘over the top’ this year, relying on big long kicks out of defence and using their smalls to run it forward. Adelaide were the benchmark team with this strategy in 2016, but were exposed by teams with quality intercept markers who held their press ‘back’ a little more than is common. Based on that, I think Hurley and Gibson shape as the key to the match.

That Dawk lineup looks nowhere near as dangerous as in the past.

We’ll win.

1 Like

I’d play the exact same team, although I’d swing it around a bit, as long we Bellchambers is ready.

This game will be the start of the cocky Dawks decline. We will win convincingly, and don’t worry about any fadeouts I’m sure this will be addressed by the coaches and players.

3 Likes

2 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, just about everyone else was worse.
And we generally didn’t go after the little blokes.
Unlike Hawthorn.

After reading that article, I’d drop Gleeson for Franga and Stanton for Hocking.
This is Hawthorn.

3 Likes

Hocking should play IMO

2 Likes

Just a query, checked the EFC site, & there was no mention of this being a fully ticketed match, but had it suggested to me that as a member, you can & may need to actually buy a standing room ticket?

Our intention was to just get to the ground early, … (provided they don’t start prdedicting a sell out), … scan in, then go to BirraMar for events then the march.

Thus far, I can’t find any info that disputes that that will be cool.

Anyone confirm or correct pls? :confused:

1 Like

Remember, it is a replacement ‘home’ game for Dawks members. They can also just scan in GA.

1 Like

I would say whilst you should be right…it’s also a risk. It’s going to be a massive game.

3 Likes

I just read that article, and my first impression was how footy journalism has changed and indeed how footy has changed.

Firstly, what paper today would print an article that long?
What reader would read it, given that it was more than one paragraph long?

What prize winning pre-eminent Football writer, would actually write so well about the personalities of the game, about the events on the field ?

Footy then was “whatever it takes” You dished it out, then you copped it back… On the field.

Today the war is waged between the powerhouses of mainstream ( accredited) media aligned with the AFL itself and the social media which is slowly driving the newspapers out of business.

On the field, it is a more sanitised competition, with never an elbow raised, and a distinct distaste by those running the game for the spilling of blood, or the sight of anything red except on the Sydney swans strip.

The game today is cleaner, and the passion of players is more controlled, but one day, in the future, a grand final will be played and the passion will spill over. More than likely, that Grand Final would need to be between Essendon and Hawthorn.

4 Likes

AFL announced only 1 home and away game this year is fully ticketed and that is ANZAC day.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see Franga ragdolling some whoreforn bitchboy. I think I may just keel over and float up to heaven if that happens.

5 Likes

Was just reading the big footy hawks forums, through all the vile discussing ■■■■ and poo, and after having 7 showers (still feel dirty). The consensus is that they will be relying on there fwd line and attacking midfield to keep the scoreboard ticking over. They seem to be expecting high scoring games all year with this been no exception.

We just can’t allow to many clean takeaways from clearances, if we can keep these to a minimum, keep the pressure on around the ball, I think we can beet them. Pressure them into turnovers and then move the ball quickly like we did last week.

2 Likes

I think hawthorn fans have no idea how much their forward line is going to miss Sam Mitchell. He creates time for every other midfielder on the ground because he constantly beats his man and creates overlap. Their forward lines feasts on uncontested final disposals into it. I don’t think they will find it as easy to score this year.

3 Likes

JOM will dominate, but you’re right mitchell is a very potent player.

I wonder who we’ll send the tag to…

I think keeping JOM ironed out for the match would set a good precedent.

He should be made to regret not walking our way. And besides he is most likely still a gun, so we should take the opportunity to psych him out and put him off his game first up.

3 Likes

Just found out I’m going to the game. Curtesy of the lady friend. I think my emotions will take over if we win.

I can’t wait.

5 Likes