Round 1

I agree he looked good against Port. I think he will get plenty of games, but I'm not sure he is in our best 22 - and only because we have Hooker, Hurley and Fletcher. Hibberd probably plays taller than Pears too.

The game has changed so much since Pears was at his best. Then, forward lines were more open, and leading forwards were kicking goals. Pears at his best was able to keep up with the best leading forwards and efect a spoil. Now foward lines are more congested due to the numbers getting back, and midfields are forced to deliver the ball higher. There aren't nearly as many forwards getting hit up on the lead. So there are fewer true leading forwards, and more gorillas getting the ball put on their head.

I think you're right that Crameri and Darling are good matchup for Pears (though Darling has touched him up a few times). I wouldn't feel confident if he was isolated one-on-one against Taylor Walker. Looking at the Premiers, Gunston is probably the best matchup for Pears. He is also the best matchup for Fletcher. So really Pears has no alternative than to work on his rebound game. His height is an issue, but I would guess he is the same height as Hurley, Lake and Scarlett. He just doesn't read the ball as well in the air.

There probably is no other player that I'd rather see do well than Pears considering what he has been through. He also seems like a ripping bloke. But I do worry that the game has moved past him, and that he doesn't have the tools to reinvent himself.

Would love to have seen him in the centre during a NAB game, just to try something. Or run-with role? If his pace is not too shot that is as he was once very quick

I believe Gleeson is worth a starting berth based on his two practice games.

He certainly is skinny.

I reckon Ashby is closer to selection. Though he didn't do much in the second game, he was impressive against GC. He looks tidier with the ball and better in the contest than Gleeson. But realistically, neither will be getting a game R1. Zach Merrett looks like the only R1 debutante.

Ashby has impressed also and would be close.

Terrific to have young blokes pushing up.

I think they will go with Glesson round 1. Just feeling. He seems to me to have a bit of natural game sense.

Couple of nice marks by Ashby I must say. I believe I read about a few more in the VFL last year too. A great attribute from a player who is very much mid-small sized.

Also, given no more injuries, I'll have 50 with anyone that says Gleeson won't play rd 1

zip and 2 after north and hawks

will wipe the floor with carlton in rd 3 and get our season back on track

Norf by 21 pts

Also, given no more injuries, I'll have 50 with anyone that says Gleeson won't play rd 1

mate, to get a nibble on that you would have to offer odds, he is no chance.

Richmond practice match will be fascinating. 

Lots of fringe guys will be busting their ■■■■■ to get the round 1 spots on offer.

There's 2-3 spots available between about 6 eligible guys.

Also look forward to a very competitive and injury free game tomorrow.

At the moment Gleeson edges out Ashby and Pears for the HBF spot (presuming that Hibberd wont get up) becuase of his ability to break lines.

Hardingham somehow stays because of his versatility. Zerrett is a gun and might just be the best young mid we've drafted since Heppell.

This is also presuming that Kommer and Dempsey will be right for round 1?

Baguley Hooker Fletcher

Dempsey Hurley Gleeson

Goddard Watson Heppell

Chapman Carlisle Zaharakis

Kommer Daniher Jetta

Ryder Stanton Hocking

Int -  Myers Howlett Hardingham  Sub- Zerrett

Emg - Pears, Jerrett, Kavanagh

Depends on Richmond game, but it is likely that he or Ashby will get a run.

Sadly 4u, it's more likely than Dellevation.

zip and 2 after north and hawks

will wipe the floor with carlton in rd 3 and get our season back on track

If we are going to be anything this year we should beat North. Hawks of course will be tough but I hope we don't talk ourselves into believing North are too good for us.

We’ll beat the tin rattlers and possibly beat Hawthorn.

I think we have the team to challenge the Geelong’s and Hawthorn’s of the AFL as long as we stay relatively injury free and focused for a full 4 quarters like we did for the beginning of last season.

Yeah agree let the real stuff begin. We were just toying around against port. We will smack norf

What's wrong with Kommer, Edwards, Dalgliesh?

Myers and Melksham will play round 1....

Winderlich a maybe, more precaution need with him....definitely a round 2 start though.

Jetta and Pears get the nod for mine....both shown they want in this year....

What's wrong with Kommer, Edwards, Dalgliesh?

Kommer is injured.

Edwards has had little preparation.

Dalgleish is seemingly injured.

And it's a bit hard to play Round 1, when you have a suspension hanging over you.

Myers and Melksham will play round 1....

Winderlich a maybe, more precaution need with him....definitely a round 2 start though.

Jetta and Pears get the nod for mine....both shown they want in this year....

Melksham suspended.

Ahh that's right.

Give Ashby a go or Kav.