Round 11 Port Adelaide Vs Boring Sprinklers FC Match Review Thread

that went a lot better than i expected.

6 Likes

He doesn’t keep his feet and thus has no second effort much of the time. He’s really quite bad.

1 Like

Just replace with Essendon

1 Like

The worst thing about this loss is that it was only by 16 points and Josh Mahony and all the others will be able to say that the effort was there and with a bit more luck, etc., etc., etc.

The fact is that we were utterly horrible in the first half, played pretty well for most of the third (although Port got the last goal and were attacking for the last part of even that quarter) and just plain outworked in the last. It was a ■■■■ performance.

Having Jones back is a plus. Durham and Martin are pluses. McGrath, although he’s a current Blitz whipping boy, played very well for the whole game. On the other side there are half a dozen players who would not get a game at any other club.

7 Likes

Agree absolutely, I totally expected a 10 goal defeat, which was tracking beautifully at half time, so that 3rd qtr, was a pleasant surprise. Perhaps the 38 point deficit will be the turning point for the year. But whatever happens there is sooo much work to be done. The fish rots at the head. Goodby Board, goodby X. Rutten is on very thin ice as well.

I’m happy with Hobbs, Durham, Martin and Perkins.

18 Likes

So from that, are you a glass half full or half empty person?

1 Like

Jeez… I didn’t think it was that bad. Turned up the pressure and got on top for a while when it started ■■■■■■■ down. Hobbs, Martin and Durham were great to watch. Thought Hind has been finding some good form of late, too. If we didn’t stink it up in the first quarter, we would have been a red hot chance.

I dunno… Maybe my standards have just been lowered by what I’ve seen so far this year.

6 Likes

And speed. We have Hind, but Kelly, Lav, Reid, Hepp etc are not quick enough for small forwards working back into the 50. We did flip McGrath and Merrett through there but that may have been part of the problem, pushing up too high to be part of the midfield contests. We were much better after half time when it became a straight line game.

1 Like

I watched with little interest and move on equally disinterested adterwards - I feel it helps see the game through an objective lens however.

Very boring footy to watch from us, we have bad connection across key areas of the ground and regularly have players spoil each other going for the same ball cause we don’t communicate, or because have no real leadership.

On the plus side, kudos to them for narrowing the margin rather than packing it in,.at least we can say they tried (better than previous weeks). Jones’s aerial threat has been missed and I thought Hind looked better today; Martin continues to impress.

Heppell and Shiel continue to spud it up and irrespective not whom this offends, consistently bad performances should not warrant continued game time; we’re not playing finals so stop wasting time on blokes who don’t deliver.

I think there’s a decent crop of good youngsters on our list; but the current gameplan and lack of senior leadership on and off the field will majorly alienate this club and drive memberships down, if not already.

9 Likes

What’s with all the usual toxic negativity here? We took it to a good side away from home in the wet when we’d normally fall in a heap.

Only positives from today given where we’ve come from

3 Likes

you gonna get done for domestic violence nino? id be hesitant of posting DT content

Hind was zippy.

McGrath needs to be done back to do the same.

1 Like

Thanks for posting sal. Sums it up well.

In the first half the midfield let themselves down with terrible fifty entries after winning clearances. Our horrid zone/team defence then got cut up.

I thought the the tide turned when Wanga made a tackle and a smother inside forward fifty, which inspired a few others to join in. Once we stopped Port getting that first easy possession in a rebound, things went more our way.

And when it rained we willed it forward, but also on occasions used time and handball when it was clearly on. That should be the style whatever the weather.

And it was nice to see Harry to run around. Probably cost us a couple of times, but he was just desperate to touch the pill.

2 Likes

Half full. I’m only here for the next 9 and then off on a plane so I couldn’t care less!

:joy:

2 Likes

On isolation maybe not. But this is the exact thing that has been happening for the past 20 years. Something needs to change

Unfortunately the second half effort will be used as an excuse by the club as to why we’re on the right path.

2 Likes

not sure i agree with the melts this week

first half? yep. second half? absolutely not

reeks of a young side. they arent capable of consistent 4 quarter efforts. i was ready to blow up at half time, but i was impressed the second half

27 Likes

I think it’s the way we basically shat the game away in the first 1 1/2 quarters that has made me feel I’ll. Gives you the feeling you’re never truly in it. The way we played was so loose, almost all of their goals were two easy and didn’t really require any grit and this has become a pattern with this group. Something is so wrong with how we’re trying to play.

Why is effort and coordination seemingly so conditional with this group?