Round 12 Essendon v Nth Ballarat @ Eureka Stadium, 1pm Sunday 9 July 2017

Not arguing with that bit…

So, Begley named in AFL emergencies two weeks in a row (supposedly meaning very close to debut), but then is emergency for VFL team and doesn’t play at all (meaning no chance of AFL debut next week).

Was he injured… or not?

I don’t get it.

More likely to play AFL next week after a rest than if he’d played VFL today, he wouldn’t play off a 5 day break.

I’d say he (and others not playing today — can confirm none of the five were injured) are the only chances to come in.

Five rested is a bit over the top given we knew we’d won the day before, but I guess we reckoned we were only playing Nth Ballarat…

1 Like

EFC stats:

Disposals: O’Brien 33, Howlett 28, Mutch 23, Laverde 23

Goals: Merrett 3, Laverde 3, McKernan 2, Younan 2, Boyse, Hind, Hocking, Howlett

1 Like

This will be emblazoned across his tombstone.

2 Likes

REPLAY IS UP!

(Click through to Youtube, as Blitz will keep kicking you out of the video whenever it reloads the page.)

1 Like

I believe he followed Bomber Thompson over to North as a top up player.

Laverde got 23, but viewers say didn’t get much of it?

23 n 3, you BEauty!!!

1 Like

i thought redman played an exceptional game

I think we have a long term replacement for Kelly there

He’s tough one on one and a really attacking half back with a bit of mongrel and a great fend off

7 Likes

Bests listed on the VFL site and copied below. I did not see the game so interested to see if this is about right:

Best Players: B. Howlett, J. Laverde, J. Merrett, K. Strachan, A. Francis, H. Hocking

1 Like

We can’t play him down back, because he was drafted as a forward.

How was his kicking

I hope you are correct. He was terrible up foward first half of the year but looked a lot better down back. Good to hear he is still playing well down there

His kicking from the games I’ve seen is very clean. He seems very composed with ball in hand. I’ve not been tracking how good his defensive work is. But hopefully we could have a good player.

Looked clean and composed

His aggression was what stood out though

Can we just pay out Stanton and make sure he doesn’t have to struggle through anymore VFL games? His first half was just awful, second half when the heat was off he did a bit.

I’m an enormous fan of his, makes me upset watching someone who was so consistently good at AFL level for a decade or so struggle at VFL level. The year off has absolutely burnt him.

Nothing would make me happier for than him to prove me wrong by the way. Would love to see him hit some form and finish his career in the AFL. Absolute warrior for us during some terrible years, and it is far too easily forgotten.

11 Likes

Thought Redman was just OK. Far from convinced about him. Seems to have gone backwards this year. Strachan looks like a talent and Laverde is all class

Personally… that order is pretty good…but I would consider replacing the last two names with Hind and Ferry.

2 Likes

Just named all those guys in the changes thread as the ones AFL listed as having done ok, and had Strahan, Boyse and Hind of the VFL guys.

After that, I did notice Redman Mutch Clarke & Ridley a bit.

1 Like