Round 16 Non-Essington Games

So we’ve had something work once, and now we have to have a rule change. Go and right royally ■■■■ yourselves! Bunch of wankers!

Nothing stopping Carlton picking up the loose man in the forward line.

Monfries tried this in the game we beat St Kilda in 2009. Marked near the goalsquare and rather than take the easy shot to put us a goal and a half in front, kicked it back to Prismall, who, being the softcock he is, missed the easy kick and it went forward for Riewoldt to mark and miss.

1 Like

With 1 point awarded to opposition.

Good kick-in by Goddard after the Prismall miss too.

1 Like

Don’t get the backlash. Melbourne played it exceptionally well. Carlton not manning up was the issue.

1 Like

What is the rule?

Why can’t I mark on the wing and line up for a shot from there? Even if I legitimately will try kick a goal despite it being impossible I will not be allowed the time to do so?

Why can’t I try? It’s my choice if I want to shoot for goal or not, why will I be told to play on just as I’m commencing my routine?

On the other hand, why can I pretend to take a shot and be allowed to waste 30 seconds when I have no intention of actually shooting for goal? In some cases the player is already at the top of his run-up well before the 30 seconds is up and will just stand there with the ball in his arms watching the clock.

Always found our timekeeping system completely non-sensical. If you want to run down time it should be through actual skill by being able to hit a target. But the time you waste should be the length of time it takes the ball to travel. Once you’re standing around doing nothing the clock should be stopped.

If we had the run with injuries that Melbourne have had, we’d be in the bottom 3. Dees are going nicely - to be where they are despite top players like Gawn, Viney, Jones, Hogan, and Watts missing significant games with injury is a not insignificant achievement.

Umpire’s going to tell you to get your hand off it. But Neal-Bullen from 30m would be expected to take the shot.

No rule change required, but brain implant required for sundry Blitz members.

1 Like

Didn’t Myers try to convince the ump he was going for goal from like 60m out and the umps said no?

Yep. And it isn’t the umpires right to make that call.

1 Like

But it is the umpire’s right to deny him the thity seconds.

Unfortunately, yes. It’s an area of the rule that needs fixing. Who the ■■■■ is an umpire to say if a player can kick 60 metres?

But surely a common sense approach fixes it. If a bloke is lining up from the wing or center circle surely the ump can say “na ■■■■ off” but 60 mtrs is well within some players range.

Agree.

But you lost the AFL at “common sense”.

Does the umpire have to take into account who’s kicking?

Do they have to take that wind into account?

In any case, the real issue is why does time continue to tick down when doing so. There’s no game being played. It should be similar to a free throw in basketball. Time starts once that ball is live again.

If you stopped the clock for every set shot for 30 secs you’d have some qtrs going upwards of 35 mins

Well then don’t make the quarters 20 mins if you don’t want the players actually playing for 20 mins.

If people think its a problem then the clock could stop when lining up for goal in the last 2 minutes of a game. Would make minimal difference to the length of quarters and would stop the wasting of time in the last 2 minutes.

this was never a problem before, because we didn’t have to have a “shot clock” because american sport.

FFS people, stop creating new problems under the guise of “we have to do something”.

I like to think that I’m extraordinarily perceptive, and I’m getting a slight inkling that you really don’t care much for the West Coast Eagles ?

2 Likes