Round 16

If you mean the one dragged and flung to the guy that ran in for a goal, .. I thought it was Cyril, .. totally a throw.

That was another example. I think there was a 3rd one as well that resulted in goal.

That stretch in the 3rd qtr was the absolute pinnacle of umpiring. I lasted watching this game for 15minutes and will never get that time back again. It is ;little wonder why I dont watch footy outside of essendon games anymore. This game is unwatchable, its biased to the point of results almost being pre-determined. Bruce McAvenys idea of commentating is barracking for Hawthorn or Richmond to the point of not being able to objectively call another team.
That was a 5-10minute period where hawthorn was paid about 10frees/50’s or an obvious decision not paid to Port (ie riolis marking attempt)
Its an absolute disgrace.
and as we all know not a thing will be said about it.

Good to see other sides get shafted by the umpires besides us. Port have had a rough go. Funny how it never happens to Hawthorn.

It’s been happening all season.

Officiating of this sport is completely stuffed, and it’s not isolated to Essendon.

Umpires genuinely have NFI what they’re doing anymore. And who can blame them when the rules change every season - and sometimes in season.

I wonder if the Bundesliga, Serie A, EPL, NBA, NFL etc have Umpires coaches or directors… or rules of the game committees.

If umpires were as bad in soccer as they are in afl they would be lucky to get out of the stadium in Europe.

I had a chat to Luke Ball and he assured me that while the umpiring wasn’t perfect last night it was 99% perfect. So I don’t know what everyone is complaining about, that’s a pretty good strike rate.

The gushing from the C7 commentary team was nausea inducing. If I were L Hodge, S Mitchell or C Rioli I’d ask them to tone it down because it’s embarrassing.

I had a chat to Luke Ball and he assured me that while the improving wasn't perfect last night it was 99% perfect. So I don't know what everyone is complaining about, that's a pretty good strike rate.

If youre 99 pc improving, are you really improving? You either are or you aren’t. Its a bit bit like saying Collingwood and lukey were 99 pc not draft tampering.
Mans an idiot.

I had a chat to Luke Ball and he assured me that while the improving wasn't perfect last night it was 99% perfect. So I don't know what everyone is complaining about, that's a pretty good strike rate.

If youre 99 pc improving, are you really improving? You either are or you aren’t. Its a bit bit like saying Collingwood and lukey were 99 pc not draft tampering.
Mans an idiot.

Damn autocorrect.

58 free kicks last night. Average for the season is 38 a game. That’s a fair way over the average.

Mans an idiot.

Damn autocorrect.

Idiot was referring to Luke ball by the way.

so hawthorn won again, just for something different?

Great “competition” the afl is these days!

There was a game last night?

Not joking either. I genuinely had no idea

I don’t usually comment about the umpiring of non-Essendon games, but that was seriously bad.
Essendon in Perth level bad.

If you launch yourself by putting your hands on your opponents shoulders, that's a free kick against you (not a farking mark McAveney, you moron)

No, they changed the rules to allow that so that more high marks could be taken. It was a good rule change and should never be a free kick.

Lewis puts a forearm into Hartletts head, Hodge puts a knee front on into Boaks ribs and they call it unsociable. For every other team they call it dirty football.

I’m at the game tonight and the Hodge incident wasn’t far from us. Loved it, wished we had some guys that would hurt opposition players

That “incidient” happens many times throughout a game, it is only because someone hurt his ribs are people making comment. Hodge didn’t deliberately knee the guy, he went up for the ball and you always use your kneee as leverage.

I don't usually comment about the umpiring of non-Essendon games, but that was seriously bad. Essendon in Perth level bad.

Except the free kick count was 30 to 28 Hawks way. If that was against Eessendon we would have been lucky to get remotely close to 10

I stopped watching after about 3 instances of Hawthorn running well over 15 metres out of defence without bouncing another 2-3 instances of . letting the ball dribble out of grasp when tackled in defence .
Watching the game made me sick, clearly the umpires are prejudiced and favour the “better” teams, and as has been pointed out, its not so much the number of frees, its WHERE they are paid.

Please send Bruce Macavany over to Rio, not to return during the footy season.

There were loads of bad decisions, and a couple against Hawthorn (believe it or not), but a few of the ones that went their way just sh*t me to tears…

• Gibson got caught cold 15metres out.
    Admitedly, he had very little prior op, but I was under the impression that you still need to make an attempt.
    He was spun around 720 degrees, before just giving up and dropped the ball as if to say, " look, I don’t even have it ".
    That was fking dropping the ball, and Port would have goaled from it.

• Poppy gets a good go from the umps, a bl**dy good go.
    Last night late in the game he was caught with the ball.
    Because he had no clear option to handball to, he made out as if he was trying to release the ball, but couldn’t because it was pinned.
    It wasn’t, the slow mo clearly showed that his arms were free, and he could have disposed of the ball.
    Should have been holding the ball.

• The awe surrounding Luke Hodge is at insufferable levels in the commentary box, and it extends onto the field with the umps.
    I can’t see how that 50mtr penalty is called, just because Hodge takes a mark, and then immediately points to where the mark should be on the ground.
    I’ve only watched it once, but it looked like a very, very soft 50 !

/rant

Please send Bruce Macavany over to Rio, not to return during the footy season.
There were loads of bad decisions, and a couple against Hawthorn (believe it or not), but a few of the ones that went their way just sh*t me to tears.....
  • Gibson got caught cold 15metres out.
    Admitedly, he had very little prior op, but I was under the impression that you still need to make an attempt.
    He was spun around 720 degrees, before just giving up and dropped the ball as if to say, " look, I don’t even have it ".
    That was fking dropping the ball, and Port would have goaled from it.

• Poppy gets a good go from the umps, a bl**dy good go.
    Last night late in the game he was caught with the ball.
    Because he had no clear option to handball to, he made out as if he was trying to release the ball, but couldn’t because it was pinned.
    It wasn’t, the slow mo clearly showed that his arms were free, and he could have disposed of the ball.
    Should have been holding the ball.

• The awe surrounding Luke Hodge is at insufferable levels in the commentary box, and it extends onto the field with the umps.
    I can’t see how that 50mtr penalty is called, just because Hodge takes a mark, and then immediately points to where the mark should be on the ground.
    I’ve only watched it once, but it looked like a very, very soft 50 !

/rant

If you just don’t watch the footy then you don’t have to worry about that stuff. That’s what I do. Mainly because I forget about games that aren’t Essendon’s, but also because this sport ■■■■■ me to tears and I’d probably give myself a brain aneurysm if I had to sit through more than two hours of football a week.

“Just don’t care”. It works wonders.