Round 2 Essendon vs Brisbane - build-up

Has been raining all night up here in Brisbane. It’s still going strong. Knowing this place, the sun will be out mid-morning then we’ll have 100% humidity.

Looking forward to coming off a real positive round one, looking at all the “we’re going to beat them” comments in the next round thread and finally feeling comfortable thinking that we probably actually will. And then, we’re going to beat Fark Carlton to go 3/3!

1 Like

If we really are a top 8 side, or even a 9-10 side, then we have a realistic chance of 3/3 from here.and we need to. The hard road starts with Adelaide and there are some tough ones after that which will really test us out. We need 7-8 wins at the bye, As the season wears on, our depth will be tested against that of the other clubs

1 Like

Weather forecast says all the rain will be today (80 to 150 mils though!) Windy with a shower possible Friday and fine for Saturday. How do Brisbane locals think the ground will hold up from that?

Not a local but they seem to get a solid storm every second day of the test match up there each year and it’s always fine so should be no issue.

As long as we don’t lose too many overs we should have enough to get the 20 wickets.

9 Likes

Yes we live in a stormy area but this right now is no normal storm. All schools in SEQ are closed today, can’t remember that ever happening to me through 13 years of schooling. Plus the turf is still recovering from the Adele concert. The grounds keepers have their work cut out for them.

1 Like

This is more than a solid storm, though not very windy atm. It’s about to flood downstairs here for the 3rd time in the 4 years. All schools are closed. Not sure how well the gabba drains but i guess could be fine by Saturday if it backs off by tomorrow.

No time to be farking around, ‘trying’ blokes in new spots or any of that crap. Howlett comes in and hopefully gets something like 18 touches, 8 tackles, two goals and an assist.

1 Like

Beat me to it Billy

Have been sent home from work. Rain is torrential.

Good point - rain only, ground would be ok.

Problem is it is also being rehabilitated after the Adele concert.

Metricon should be on a hot standby.

Keep in mind we used to play games at Stadium Australia at Homebush. A tornado could run right across the 'Gabba and it would still be in better knick than SA on it’s best day.

All our schools just got closed down. The hway from GC to Brisbane closed in parts.

she’s gonna be a wet one.

might watch game from home.

I am expecting 1 change , maybe 2.
Replacing Green? SMack was very aggressive and it helped, but he gave away 6 frees, was generally beaten in the air around the ground as he tired and half his disposals were clangers. Will we bring in TBell and run with 2 ruckmen? More likely we will bring in the Bobcat because the ground will be wet. But asking SMack to play 90% game time is a big ask and potentially has some serious negative consequences.

1 Like

Reckon we should expect a bit of a come-down after the intensity and occasion of the guys coming back. Still don’t think there is any real excuse to lose though.

“Adele and Debbie making life hard for Gabba groundsmen.”

You saw this headline first at Blitz.

7 Likes

After the controversy surrounding the AFLW GF, I wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL keep the game at the Gabba even if the ground’s a mess.

I’m flummoxed.
If there was ever any doubt that the ground was up to standard before the rain, surely there can’t be now?
I don’t want to seem too precious about it, there have been some great games played on mud.
But what sort of damage were they talking about in the first place?
Are they talking about holes, or…?

AFL say the game is definitely going ahead at the Gabba.

1 Like