Round 2 Essendon vs Brisbane - build-up

Begley’s a harder tackler than Howlett? On what evidence? Howlett is one of the best tacklers on the list

3 Likes

Often when players truth from long lay offs, it’s the 2md game back that’s the problem. It’s the first after-match recovery and with the flight, will be interesting how we go.

HOWLETT THE DOGS BACK IN??

6 Likes

Benny in for mine as the only change, unless Smack is a little fried after Saturday night and would be better sharing the load with TBC if Tommy is fit enough to ruck most of the game.

This would put Smack in the forward mix, which returns us to the argument who goes out for the BobCat.

If we are serious about Langford, he should stay in, I would consider dropping Zaka, but only if significantly wet and we need to swap Zaka’s speed for Benny’s toughness.

I’m not sure if it was Woosha or Harvs who referred to the “back 7” in a club video, which is in reality our defensive unit.

I have set out my team below to reflect this, with BJ making guest appearances in this actual group that did the job on Saturday.

I think it is useful to look at the team with this more modern shape in mind.

I have also spread 4 players across half forward as this reflects our forward set up better.

B: Mark Baguley, Michael Hartley, Patrick Ambrose

HB: James Kelly, Michael Hurley, Andrew McGrath, Martin Gleeson

C: Travis Colyer, Dyson Heppell, Brendon Goddard

R: Shaun McKernan, Jobe Watson, Zach Merrett

HF: Orazio Fantasia, Joe Daniher, BobCat, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

F: Cale Hooker

I: Darcy Parish, Brent Stanton, Kyle Langford, David Zaharakis

E: Craig Bird, TBC, Matt Dea, Heath Hocking

As above I don’t mind the look of the forward group with Smack in it as ruck relief.

2 Likes

Yeh bobcat for corgie with langford and zaka on notice that bird and hocking are chomping at the bit to come in.

2 Likes

Had a look at replay and my observations are

Zaka could gave gone harder ( did not squib) and 2nd half was very decent. Crappy turnover in 2nd but more than made up for it.

Langers may not have got much of the ball which is often the case playing HFF , but used the ball well when he had it , and reality is ’ he kicks those goals - he’s better than played his role. Marks inside 50 and finding space

2 Likes

Goals which he didn;t in fact kick. He had a quiet game, an underwhelming performance.

4 Likes

do people forget howlett is not a forward ?
he is a midfielder who they play in the forwardline cos of the reasoning some in here have used. When he plays solely as a forward he normally produces those 10 possie games and has little influence.

He is not a like for like for green.

The only other player that should be dropped is zaka. His second half was better, but considering his first half, it wasn’t that hard to do better. Those first half squibs are just not acceptable and again despite the second half, should not be tolerated or acceptable.

http://lon-cdn220-is-10.se.bponlinewoc2264.ngcdn.telstra.com/platform_release/671/136/FS_ESS_HOWLETT_PACKAGE_RD11_S_2763102266__228135.mp4

Sausage #5 is fantastic!

7 Likes

No bring in TBell, Green goes out with a hammy 1-2 weeks.
Both T Bell and Smack should account for Martin.
Our mids Watson. Zerrett and Heppell cancel out Zorko, Rocky and Beams. They have kids in the forwardline and toddlers in the backline.
Guys like Zakka, Parish, Tippa, Goddard are going to run amok.
Can’t wait to belt them.

2 Likes

BJ was great, but Benny was stiff not to get the award that night

Pretty sure 74 is the average number of free kicks he gives away in th ruck each week!

Bring in the mule!

3 Likes

According to the weatherman on ABC News 24, the cyclone is likely to morph into a rain front and move south over the next few days with significant flooding likely. He didn’t specifically mention Brisbane, but you would think it will be a very wet few days coming up there.

Apparently so…

1 Like

Yep, they’ve got it tracking right over Brisbane on Friday night.
Better than Saturday night, I guess.

Metricon, here we come!!

Bring in Hocking and Howlett. And every other strong body/contested ball monster we can lay our hands on.

1 Like