Round 22: Essendon vs Gold Coast: Changes, Discussion and Match-Ups

As much as i love JOEY D

we need to make the decision now, which system is better

JOEYD/RYDER (ruck/forward) + CARLISE/AMBROSE (forwards)

or

BELLY/RYDER (ruckforward) + CARLISE/AMBROSE (forwards)

we looked dam pretty good when Ryder was having spells forward vs sydney and bellchambers was in the ruck..

Stop nominating NO‘B to come in this week. He has played about half a game in the last five weeks (held back as emergency, bye, currently injured).

well Kommer or Browne then.
REIMERS!!!

Bullen all the way. . .

Seriously though, if we are going to roll the dice with Belly this season, hoping he makes a difference (which be be a massive one if it comes off) it must be this week.

If yes then it’s a choice between Carlise & Ambrozi. If not then as you were. . .

Melk is the conundrum. Jerrett isn’t the answer (right now) IMO. If there’s a change then it’s Gleeson, Ashby or a fit again Nob when he is good to go.

As much as i love JOEY D

we need to make the decision now, which system is better

JOEYD/RYDER (ruck/forward) + CARLISE/AMBROSE (forwards)

or

BELLY/RYDER (ruckforward) + CARLISE/AMBROSE (forwards)

we looked dam pretty good when Ryder was having spells forward vs sydney and bellchambers was in the ruck..

Nope...
Don't wish to pick on you, as your posting has been improved of late.
This debate is not worth arguing.
Joe Daniher will play every game between now and the end of our season (whenever that is) regardless of form, provided he is fully fit of course.
The experience and development he can get from playing in a final/s outweighs any possible(but not probable) advantage we may derive from your suggestion.
We can't win the Flag this year, and Belly won't get anywhere near his maximum output, so why do it ?

Why cant we win the flag this year? Of course we can.

Don’t forget, I’m a miserable Lid On C*nt !

Just give Goddard a rest.

Stop nominating NO‘B to come in this week. He has played about half a game in the last five weeks (held back as emergency, bye, currently injured).

Edwards ready yet Djr ? Would be a good game to bring him in........if he is ready.

I still recall earlier in the year when I think we had most of Gleeson/Ashby/Zerrett/Jerrett in the team, and it became too much of a weakness in terms of banging in/tackling/physical pressure.

I expect finals football to be tight and tough, so I am unconvinced about bringing Gleeson in (at this stage of his career).

Re Gleeson/Ashby/Jerrett/Edwards, it's worth remembering that one of bomber's trademarks when he was coaching Geelong is leaving young kids in the 2s for a long time to learn their role and work on their games before giving them a real run in the seniors.  So while these blokes might get a go if injuries require, (and Gleeson at least has an argument for a regular ones gig once he's running out full games in the VFL, based on his early season form), i suspect they'll really have to earn it, and team selection will continue to be fairly conservative.

and fwiw another of the Bomber-coached Geelong sides' trademarks (before they clicked and started winning flags all over the place) was inconsistency.  They'd beat anyone on their day, and then fall in a heap against teams they should cream.  Sound familiar?

Re Gleeson/Ashby/Jerrett/Edwards, it's worth remembering that one of bomber's trademarks when he was coaching Geelong is leaving young kids in the 2s for a long time to learn their role and work on their games before giving them a real run in the seniors.  So while these blokes might get a go if injuries require, (and Gleeson at least has an argument for a regular ones gig once he's running out full games in the VFL, based on his early season form), i suspect they'll really have to earn it, and team selection will continue to be fairly conservative.

and fwiw another of the Bomber-coached Geelong sides' trademarks (before they clicked and started winning flags all over the place) was inconsistency.  They'd beat anyone on their day, and then fall in a heap against teams they should cream.  Sound familiar?

I find both of these alleged hallmarks to be completely inconsequential.

For example - this year we've given decent enough chunks of games to about 5 guys (Ambrose, Daniher, Zerrett, Gleeson, Ashby) in their first or second seasons at the club. If there is a "leave them in the twos" policy, then it's certainly not blanket across the list.

I'd argue the Cats did the same, when it suited them. IMHO it should be characterised as they had plenty of patience with guys who they thought were made of the right stuff, even if they weren't producing. Weren't bothered that Varcoe or whoever weren't producing early days, as they had confidence he could when he got it right. Which also comes back to list depth, we haven't had that list depth until maybe last year, so we had to play a Melks or whoever because he was legit in our best 22.

And we've been an inconsistent side for about 8 years - along with a decent majority of the clubs in the league, from North down.

For mine both are a bit of a furphy... you can find examples, but I don't think looking at the evidence coldly would suggest either link.

Now is not the time to be resting blokes when we are in the flaky form we're in. You can rest guys if youre Sydney or Hawthorn - proven finals performers who have been humming all year.

Only changes should be by necessity. We need to start playing consistent footy, and fast.

Goddard didn't look right on Saturday though (suspect he's carrying an injury). No knock on the guy because he has been fantastic this year, but Saturday was about the worst game I've seen him play for the club.

Is Carlisle going to be right? Back spasms can be hard to gauge.

We might even go in unchanged.

Is Carlisle going to be right? Back spasms can be hard to gauge.

We might even go in unchanged.

No, Melksham is shot this year-confidence at all time low.

Considering his last 10 games last year, I'm astounded at his lack of form.

MOOOSE

If Carlisle is right then i'd bring him in for Melksham.

If not than Ashby for Melksham.

In: Carlisle
Out: Melksham (omitted)
B: Baguley Hurley Steinberg
HB: Dempsey Hooker Hibberd
C: Stanton Watson Zaharakis
HF: Goddard Carlisle Chapman
FF: Zerrett Daniher Ambrose
RR: Ryder Heppell Hocking
I: Colyer Myers Howlett SUB:Winderlich

Give Winders a rest but still keep him so he can come on ether in attack or defense.

I agree with this, although I'd start Winders as he is integral for us wherever needed. Therefore I'd have Zach as Sub again.

I'm not sure how many talls the Suns have though so whether Steinberg will be required, I'm not sure. Jake can float forward and back like he does so well. If he's floating back, move Ryder forward. If he's forward, have Ryder provide some cover back.

Whats happened to Ashby?

I really liked what he showed at AFL level...

(especially giving it to Marc Murphy)

Whats happened to Ashby?

I really liked what he showed at AFL level...

(especially giving it to Marc Murphy)

He primarily plays HBF, and we have roughly a thousand half back flankers.

Game still needs to be won. If not 100% don’t play, but resting players just because it’s GC is wrong. No use resting if we can play them later because we didn’t make it is not the right way. There are no guarantee wins (ref StK, Tigers & Melb where Essington showed up). Need to win and win on our terms for 4 qtrs and not have Games where WCE get 30+ in front at all. Need to play like we did earlier in the year where we smashed Carlton, & PIES and even when we lost against Hawks.