Russia invades Ukraine - the first ten weeks

All the other former USSR states that border Europe have joined NATO, with the exception of the Russian puppet dictatorship that is Belarus.

Putin will not attack a NATO country. That would immediately trigger a military response. Ukraine is a NATO ally, but not in NATO, so the military response isn’t automattically required.

And honestly, as much as it sucks, I’d far prefer Ukraine to get thrown under the bus than a full scale shooting war between the USA and Russia.

1 Like

Ukraine seems very divided between Democracy and siding with Russia.

I think it makes Ukraine an easy target for Russia. At this stage, I don’t think any other country is at risk, unless they take direct action against Russia.

1 Like

The repressed rage of a small man

2 Likes

Oh dear - people might think that’s legit! I think it was a servo in South Korea.

None of this matters unless the Ukrainian armed forces dig in. If they melt away like Sadaams army, this’ll be over quickly. If they don’t, there’ll be a lot of dead people.

I should have clarified ethnically Ukrainian, as far as that term has meaning. Obviously there’s a lot of internal division between Russian and Ukrainian nationalists.

1 Like

Russian military have targeted Ukrainian infrastructure

The Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has just spoken. He says Russia carried out missile strikes on infrastructure and border guards.

Russia’s RIA news agency has also cited a Russian defence ministry as saying Russia is targeting Ukraine’s military infrastructure, air defence, and air forces with high-precision weapons. It says the military is not attacking Ukrainian cities.

This is confronting. English-speaking reporter captures the moment a missile flies directly over his head.

2 Likes

It’s Goebbels level misinformation from Putin. Wants to de-Nazify a country run by a Jewish president.

3 Likes

That’s ■■■■■■■ terrifying…

1 Like

I can’t wait for the US and it’s allies to start flooding the anti-Russian neo-nazi groups in the Ukraine/Eastern europe with more weapons and funding.

4 Likes

China’s ambassador to the UN calls all parties to “stay cool headed”

From CNN’s Beijing Bureau

China’s ambassador to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, called on all parties involved in the Ukraine-Russia crisis to “stay cool headed and rational.”

“It is especially important at the moment to avoid fueling tensions,” Zhang said at an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on Wednesday night.

“All parties concerned should exercise restraint and avoid the further escalation of tensions,” he said, adding that China believes the “door to a peaceful solution to the Ukraine issue is not fully shut.”

“China will continue to promote peace talks in its own ways and welcomes and encourages all efforts aimed at a diplomatic solution,” Zhang said.

i think it’s pretty well divided by region. some states yearn for the soviet era, some prefer eurovision more, that kind of thing.

2 Likes

Cheers China, a rational response from their perspective though

2 Likes

Could solve a lot of the worlds problems if you could solve that enigma.

3 Likes

Going to be interesting to see how the Ukrainian military responds.

Russia will have been monitoring Ukrainian positions for the past few months. They will have a strike list of every known command and control location, every munitions depot, every troop camp, every military vehicle. They’ll be working down the list of targets, wiping out as much resistance as they can.

Ukraine will have known this. I’d expect that Ukraine has scattered their military assets, hidden and protected them as much as possible. They’ll be fighting an ambush style war against Russian units moving into hostile territory.

Question is, how much of the Ukrainian military that survives the first 48 hours of strikes will be motivated enough to fight an ambush style war? If they walk away from their positions and equipment, then it’s over quickly. If they fight a guerrilla war, using the hand held anti-tank weapons shipped over the past few months, then this becomes incredibly painful for the Russian forces.

3 Likes

Has anyone asked Yakov Smirnoff for his thoughts??

CNN live cross - air raid sirens going off in Kyiv

Can someone explain to me why this is happening? I have no clue about this war and the reasons behind it.

Air raid siren in Kyiv (reposted the livestream)