Ryan Bastinac

Interested to read that although he is contracted until 2017, the Kangaroos seem willing to entertain offers for Ryan Bastinac. I remember a number of Blitzers were very keen on him during the 2009 draft (when we picked up Melksham).

Personally thought he did really well in his first few years (was 5th in Rising Star in 2010) but has seemed to have fallen a bit out of favour with Brad Scott over the past year. Has always had great skills though, decent pace, a strong inside game and is durable (played 121 games in 6 years).

As a comparison his career stats read favourably against Melksham’s who has played 114 games (Ave Disposals 19.27 .v. 16.46, Goals 66 .v. 57, Ave Tackles 2.88 .v. 2.75).

The Lions are apparently offering pick 39 for him (and the Dees are said to be interested too).

Wondering whether those who have seen more of the Kangaroos play than I, have any thoughts on where he is at, and whether we should be enquiring ourselves?

Lose Melksham, bring in Bastinac? No thanks.

Poor man’s Jed Anderson.

He is an inside player who North moved to the outside. With Myers struggling to get through seasons and Watson seemingly the same… we have struggled for inside players.

(Doesn’t have to be in one trade - but end results)

Saints: Out 5 +42 , In Carlisle + 25
Rich: Out 12 + 31, In Yarran + 20
Melb: Out 25, In Melksham
NM: Out Bastinac, In 25
Carl: Out Yarran + 20, In 12 + 42
EFC: Out Carlisle + 23, In 5 + 31

Yeh average player.

He’s captain of the who are ya best 22.

Pass

Don't rate. Neither do North, who need outside run and carry.

Have to agree with Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb on this one.

Yeh … nup.

Bastinac has been a victim of the NM top up policy (along with Aaron Black). Bringing Higgins in & Jacobs stitching up the run with role has left him on the outer. He’s contracted so won’t be cheap and that being the case, it’s a no for me. I don’t think he brings much of what we need TBH. We need quick outside runners who can deliver the ball well or kick goals themselves & IMO he does neither, because that’s what NM need as well. Of their contracted players “available” I think Black is the one worth a look.

He’s a good runner and outside ball winner, but I reckon he’s been worked out. He really doesn’t respond well to physical pressure, and difference between his performances against good sides and weak sides is significant. Personally I think he relies to heavily on others giving the ball to him, and his ball use and ability to break up play with run and carry isn’t good enough to offset this deficiency. He should have gone to GWS when they had they offered him a big contract a few years ago.

Don’t rate. Neither do North, who need outside run and carry.

Don't rate. Neither do North, who need outside run and carry.

I agree. He had potential a few years back but I don’t think he works hard enough.

He's a bit of a poor man's Stanton in that he doesn't work as hard or get as much of the pill as Stants, but there's plenty of upside there.

I’d happily downgrade the Melksham pick to North’s late 2nd for him. 39 seems unders.

You have to remember that his averages are sub effected.
And North only really have 1 outside running wingman (Dal Santo) as they prefer to have either run with taggers (Gibson), inside taggers (Jacobs) or inside ball winners.

Didn’t even look at the stats tbh, those are just my opinions based on watching a fair bit of North.

It’s tough to compare, but you’re right. Bastinac is a touch behind Stanton at the same age this time last year but there has been a shift in North’s gameplan this year which has pushed Bastinac out of the team.

Bastinac’s career has usually followed this pattern…
1 - Gets dropped down to VFL.
2 - Goes back and plays very well in the VFL.
3 - Gets a heaps of possession in back to back VFL games.
4 - Plays seniors, is not the sub and smashes it.
5 - Within a few weeks, he returns to the sub vest for back to back games.
6 - Go back to 1.

I just don’t think he’s been able to get the best out of himself at North.
But agree, 39 is under for him.

If he came cheaply go for it otherwise move along

I would love to have him, I was one of those who was super active at the time and really wanted Bastinac

I’d take him for sure and the Melksham block would get it done.

He's a bit of a poor man's Stanton in that he doesn't work as hard or get as much of the pill as Stants, but there's plenty of upside there.

I’d happily downgrade the Melksham pick to North’s late 2nd for him. 39 seems unders.

You have to remember that his averages are sub effected.
And North only really have 1 outside running wingman (Dal Santo) as they prefer to have either run with taggers (Gibson), inside taggers (Jacobs) or inside ball winners.

Didn’t even look at the stats tbh, those are just my opinions based on watching a fair bit of North.

Yep wouldn’t mind at the right price definitely