Sean Wellman Leaves

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-09-16/wellman-to-pursue-other-interests

Essendon assistant coach Sean Wellman has decided to pursue business and career opportunities away from football.

After three seasons as an assistant coach, Wellman said stepping aside from the Bombers coaching panel was an extremely difficult decision to make.

“I‘ve thoroughly enjoyed my time coaching at Essendon,” Wellman said.

“The playing list and people who work at the football club are fantastic people and I‘ll be supporting the players and the club from the stands next season and beyond.”

“This decision does not have anything to do with the events of this year, and while I wanted to help the club work through the challenges ahead, the timing to pursue further study and business interests was right for me and at a point in my career that I couldn‘t ignore.”

“I wish everyone involved at the Club every success for the 2014 season.”

The 2000 Essendon premiership player has also left the door ajar for a return to coaching in the future.

The Club will now begin the process of replacing the role vacated by Sean and will communicate any developments when necessary.

===

Idea: Fletch plays one game and then moves up to the box.

Laters.

Helloooooooo Harvs!

as called by wilson a couple of days ago...

Egan  coach the backs. Lloydy to coach he forwards?

Sad :frowning:

Damn! Fabric has a thread loose.

I like how he made absolutely certain that people would understand that he wasn’t leaving due to the saga. What’s the bet though that Wilson ignores that and carries on as though he was leaving for the reason.

Good Luck to him in whatever he does in the future!  If his heart is not in it he has done the right thing!

Getting Harvey and Lloyd is vital now.

Edit: also congratulation to Wellman for all the work he has done with our backline. IMO he’s assembled the best defensive unit in the league.

always liked wellman , sad hes going

the afl have really done a job on us

and if the afl puppets werent pushing for harvey id be a bit more supportive than i am , i dont have a problem at all with harvey but it scares me the likes of jon ralph and co are pushing his case

Imagine losing hird, wellman, Goodwin and potentially bomber all in one off season.

Would be hard to pick up on the gameplan and structures that hirdy will want when he comes back

The whole thing worries me a bit. Really need some high quality people at the club and probably best if its not all Essendon people. Need some strong culture from outside. Would love C Ling if he's interested in coaching.

It's not good losing that many people in one year - particularly if Bomber goes.

Give Solly a call, not sure he’d leave the Gold Coast but it can’t hurt to ask.

Edit: also congratulation to Wellman for all the work he has done with our backline. IMO he's assembled the best defensive unit in the league.

Hasn't Lloyd said he would only come back in a lesser capacity (ie; not as a full time assistant)?

Agree that we probably need Harvey because of his experience. 

I certainly did not see the complete disintegration of TRB coming.

So far its:

No Head coach

Bomber undecided on whether he stays at all

Goodwin applying elsewhere

Egan Gone

Wellman gone

Doc Reid Gone

Head of football Dept?

Interim CEO

Crameri on the brink of leaving 

No draft picks

massive financial penalty

What a *&^% of a situation to be in.  

It may not be onfield (yet....) but it looks like we need a rebuild. 

That's a kick in the guts. Really liked what Welly accomplished with our backs.  

Thanks Sean for the time and effort you put in to the role.

Edit: also congratulation to Wellman for all the work he has done with our backline. IMO he's assembled the best defensive unit in the league.

Hasn't Lloyd said he would only come back in a lesser capacity (ie; not as a full time assistance)?

So far its:

No Head coach

Egan Gone

Wellman gone

Doc Reid Gone

Head of football Dept?

Interim CEO

No draft picks

ouch!

Hasn't Lloyd said he would only come back in a lesser capacity (ie; not as a full time assistance)?

So far its:

No Head coach

Egan Gone

Wellman gone

Doc Reid Gone

Head of football Dept?

Interim CEO

No draft picks

Is the doc definitely leaving?

So far its:

No Head coach

Egan Gone

Wellman gone

Doc Reid Gone

Head of football Dept?

Interim CEO

No draft picks

I don't think its been clearly stated anywhere but I thought that was the general consensus. 

Yep, looks like we are screwed off-field. To lose most of your coaching panel plus have an interim coach, how on earth can the game plan we have been working on for 3 years continue in the current form if there is no one there to continue with it?

I asked this question in another thread, but did we make a mistake by giving Hird an extension?

So far its:

No Head coach

Egan Gone

Wellman gone

Doc Reid Gone

Head of football Dept?

Interim CEO

No draft picks

I don't think its been clearly stated anywhere but I thought that was the general consensus. 

So won't the 2014 flag be that much sweeter.