5. Sam Jacobs

2013/2014 Rising Star Noms

Sam Kerridge
Rory Laird
Luke Brown
Brad Crouch
Matt Crouch

Ins
Luke Lowden, Kyle Cheney, Jake Lever, Harrison Wigg, Mitch McGovern, Harry Dear, Reilly O’Brien (rk), Keenan Ramsay(rk), Anthony Wilson(rk)

Outs
Ben Rutten, Jason Porplyzia, Luke Thompson, Lewis Johnston, Jared Petrenko, Shaun McKernan, Angus Graham, James Battersby, Alex Spina

My prediction

I don’t know much about Phil Walsh but his appointment seems to be a sign of just how much people are keen to get into whatever Port has going for them. I think Sanderson as incredibly unlucky as last season could have gone very differently, they have blooded some good young talent in the last couple of years.

They have a pretty good forward line with plenty of options. Clearly they rate Walker and will be interesting to see if having the extra responsibility changes the way he plays. Seems a strange move for mine and you would think there would have been other options with more experience and perhaps better placed although only those in the club know.

I think the bones are there of a good team and they could have made the finals last year with a little more luck. They have kept most of that team together and with and extra years experience into their younger players I think again they should challenge for the lower spots in the 8. I think they should finish somewhere from 7-9.

Mrs Wim is Adelaide which pretty much makes them my second team.
I like them.
They’re honest and competitive against the top teams, and they’re bizarrely forgettable. The team, and a lot of their players.
They were a kick away from playing in the GF two years ago.
Still, they were a fringe team last year, and it’s hard to see from the outs and ins where any improvement will come from.

Since 2012 they’ve lost Tippett up forward and added Bettes and Pods (who added a year to his career by putting in some decent, in some cases game-saving, performances in defence).
Lynch has shown flashes of brilliance for them, but is no-one’s defensive nightmare. Then there’s Jenkins. He had a purple patch of about four games midyear as a key forward, but while clearly best 22 has been pretty underwhelming at times.

Oh, just as an aside, Hartigan is one of the biggest spuds I’ve seen playing senior football for a long time. I can’t believe he’s still on their list.

Anyway, people have been saying this for a while, but Thompson is old. He’s still old. In fact he’s older than the last time someone called him old. He’s gutsy, but he turns the ball over and gets caught so damn much these days.
I’m expecting Sloane to have as good a year as last year, while I’m actually expecting Dangerfield (and Walker) to have a better one.

I kind of have one foot on the Talia train. I think he’s very, very good. I don’t rate him among the league’s best tall defenders yet. And yes, I know that puts me at odds with the AA selectors.

Will the Crouch boys improve? Can Shaw get on the park and validate the promise he showed in his first few games?
Was Jaensch’s year a flash in the pan, and have forwards worked him out after a brilliant first half of last season?

Too many ifs, for me.
Having said that there’s too much rebuilding in the teams below them (GC aside) for them to fall too far.

9th-10th

Their midfield is strong. But for how long with Douglas and Danger F.A. and Sloane out of contract?
Pods, Walker, and Jenkins are all dangerous KPF. Chuck in Lynch who CAN play tall, Betts crumbing everything and Martin/Wright/Danger rotating at HF, you get one of the best fwd lines in the comp.

Other than Talia, they’re KPD are not good enough. Hartigan and Lever will be wayy too experienced and Cheney is just too short. That’s their biggest weakness for me.

Lowden is their only ruck besides Jacobs which is also another problem.

Still can’t see them making the 8. Prediction: 9th.

Gifted the softest of draws the last three years and only made it count in 2012. Defence is their issue - Below average when transitioning from turnovers - Improve defence and they can make the eight. They are a true 50/50 prospect for the wight.

Allblack - it is Rutten. Just letting you know so you can fix. Also his loss (or loss of form last year) is part of why they have fallen away. He and Johncock were massive lynchpins.

They also got burtn bad by GC and GWS losing their two CHB’s to each team, yet still have Talia.

For mine, their midfield is vanilla outside the obvious three.

Sanderson going is typical of a ruthless board, but for mine a stupid move.

Cheers

B brown talia Thompson
Hb smith McKay jaensch
C crouch Thompson Martin
HF Douglas walker kerridge
F betts podsiadly Jenkins
R Jacobs dangerfield sloane
Int wright van berlo crouch
Sub Henderson
Emg. Lever, Cameron, otten

Crows to finish middle of the road 8th- 13th

Hard to gauge with new coach.
Will struggle down back if talia gets injured.

Sloane, danger, sauce will all gave good years. Could be thompsons last. Crows to trade a high pick for aish at seasons end.

L.Thompon has been delisted. And there’s no way Mackay will play at CHB.

B: Cheney Lever L.Brown
HB: B. Smith Talia Jaensch
C: Sloane S.Thompson Mackay
HF: Lynch Jenkins Wright
FF: Podsiadly Walker Betts
R: Jacobs Dangerfield Douglas
I: B.Crouch Van Berlo Otten
SUB: B.Martin

A reply to: @Pevers-Legend regarding QuoteLink

Allblack - it is Rutten. Just letting you know so you can fix. Also his loss (or loss of form last year) is part of why they have fallen away. He and Johncock were massive lynchpins.
Johncock? Was good in 2011. Battled in 2012, 2 games in 2013 and zero in 2014.

Massive lynchpin might be putting it a touch strongly

Smith has been outstanding as a rebounding small. Can’t remember if he made AA or not but he’s really classy.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Pevers-Legend regarding QuoteLink
Johncock? Was good in 2011. Battled in 2012, 2 games in 2013 and zero in 2014.

Massive lynchpin might be putting it a touch strongly

Smith has been outstanding as a rebounding small. Can’t remember if he made AA or not but he’s really classy.

He was.
Dropped right the ■■■■ off when his side needed him at the end of the year, though.

Another interesting one in 2015.

Adelaide Crows’ Brent Reilly sustains fractured skull in training collision, expected to undergo surgery

Adelaide Crows defender Brent Reilly is set to undergo surgery after sustaining a fractured skull in a collision at training on Monday.

Reilly, 31, who has played 203 games for Adelaide since making his debut in 2002, was injured in a collision in a routine training session.

The club released a statement on Monday afternoon confirming the defender had received medical attention at the training ground before being taken by ambulance to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Reilly, who remained conscious, was diagnosed with a fractured skull and was expected to undergo surgery later on Monday

Quoted Post

Adelaide Crows' Brent Reilly sustains fractured skull in training collision, expected to undergo surgery

Adelaide Crows defender Brent Reilly is set to undergo surgery after sustaining a fractured skull in a collision at training on Monday.

Reilly, 31, who has played 203 games for Adelaide since making his debut in 2002, was injured in a collision in a routine training session.

The club released a statement on Monday afternoon confirming the defender had received medical attention at the training ground before being taken by ambulance to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Reilly, who remained conscious, was diagnosed with a fractured skull and was expected to undergo surgery later on Monday

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-09/crows-brent-reilly-sustains-fractured-skull-in-training/6080816

Thats really horrible.

I wish Brent all the best and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

I’m going early here, but I can see this phil walsh love in and success lasting about 18months at the crows. I just get the vibe that he’s an abrasive/arrogant sort of character and modern players won’t cop it for longer than they have to.

just a gut feel.

I'm going early here, but I can see this phil walsh love in and success lasting about 18months at the crows. I just get the vibe that he's an abrasive/arrogant sort of character and modern players won't cop it for longer than they have to.

just a gut feel.

fkg concur

I'm going early here, but I can see this phil walsh love in and success lasting about 18months at the crows. I just get the vibe that he's an abrasive/arrogant sort of character and modern players won't cop it for longer than they have to.

just a gut feel.

fkg concur

Adelaide are brutal with coaches. The have no issue sacking them.

just a gut feel.

The media are already tiring of him, for a first year coach he seems to have an opinion on everything and his spray at Vince was cringeworthy

Walshy coming back to earth.

Left the box early and was walking back to the changerooms with over a minute remaining. Looked like he will give them a bake tonight
Left the box early and was walking back to the changerooms with over a minute remaining. Looked like he will give them a bake tonight

I reckon he loves giving bakes. Deserved or otherwise.

Adelaide has 28 more inside 50’s and still lost by 5 goals.