1. Tom Lynch
  2. Kade Kolodjashnij
  3. Steven May
  4. Touk Miller
  5. Michael Richitelli

2015 Rising Star Noms

Adam Saad (Round 5)
Touk Miller (Round 16)

Ins – Daniel Currie, Matthew Rosa, Jarrad Grant, Callum Ah Chee, Brayden Fiorini, Josh Schoenfeld, Mackenzie Willis, Tim Keough ® , Darcy MacPherson ®, Ryan Davis ®, Cameron Loersch ®, Jesse Joyce ®

Outs – Harley Bennell, Andrew Boston, Charlie Dixon, Daniel Gorringe, Josh Hall, Zac Smith, Tim Sumner, Greg Broughton, Tyrone Downie, Jarred Ellis, Joshua Glenn, Louis Herbert, Andrew Raines

My Prediction

Has there ever been a single player more important to a team than Ablett to the Suns. He played 6 (mostly injury riddled mediocre) games last season and still finished top 10 in their best and fairest. Also tellingly without his impact and with a new coach they fell apart on the field. They have too much talent to be sitting in the bottom four of the ladder.

They clearly felt they were underperforming in 2014 when they sacked McKenna and brought in Eade as a seasoned coach to guide them towards their first premiership. What happened next very few saw coming. The bottom absolutely fell out and left them a mess. Player behaviours, previously ignored were made public and discipline seemed out of touch with what is required to be a successful sporting team in this day and age.

Eade needs to succeed this year. He needs to get into the eight or at least threaten it in a big way. For that he needs Ablett to play a lot of football, which it seems is possible based on training reports. They will argue they laid a base of behavioural and training expectations last year which will pay benefits this year.

They have the talent to challenge the eight this year. Their list has enough games in it for them to challenge this year but something just isn’t right up there. I think they will improve and should win the majority of their home games but not enough to challenge the 8. I think the 12-14 range is about where they will end up. For a team gifted every chance of success, it feels like true success is a miles away.

Remember when half of blitz said they were going to be really good this year after they beat us? Lol

They are terrible. Can 100% see them folding one day

If we were playing them this week instead of round 1 we’d beat them.
They’ve lost a shitload of blokes with injury since then.
Plus the team seems to have a busted heartledge

Remember when half of blitz said they were going to be really good this year after they beat us? Lol

They are terrible. Can 100% see them folding one day

Isn’t it? Well it sounded good at the time.
Maybe less one two handball type things then

That’s not what happened historically with them

Ablett out for season. Suns to start winning.

Remember how the AFL chose 2006 to remove the priority pick, largely because we would have benefitted?

2016 - the year the priority pick returns…

*for brisbane and gold coast

Wonder if they will have any players left once they all leave.

What a useless club

I’ve seen worse.

Remember how the AFL chose 2006 to remove the priority pick, largely because we would have benefitted?

2016 - the year the priority pick returns…

*for brisbane and gold coast

GC won’t get one, they already receive benefits.

Only club that might get one is the Lions.

Hold this L Gold Coast

Last 4 weeks for a combined loss of 359 points. Surely one of the worst months in history?

I think that Eade won’t work well with GC as he is too old school for today’s generation. I find the quotes on the AFL site ludicrous re Eades continued coaching. I also like the deflection re the Suns early coaching choices yet McKenna was vastly more successful in his last 2 years when compared to Eade (note the 37.5% of this year will be greatly reduced as the season unfolds).

Rodney Eade 2016 8 3 5 0 37.5%
Rodney Eade 2015 22 4 17 1 18.2%
Guy McKenna 2014 22 10 12 0 45.5%
Guy McKenna 2013 22 8 14 0 36.4%

Eade safe as chairman questions early Suns choices
Dinny Navaratnam May 21, 2016 1:11 PM

Newsletter
RSS
AFL 2016 Rd 06 - Geelong v Gold Coast
Injuries, scandals and poor form have made Rodney Eade’s job difficult
RELATED

Eade can see light at end of Suns’ tunnel
With great respect to our inaugural coach, there’s no way we should have had a junior coach
Tony Cochrane
RODNEY Eade will coach Gold Coast through to the end of 2017 at the very least, says Suns chairman Tony Cochrane.

After being victorious in their opening three games of the season, the Suns have been winless since.

Injuries have been a significant issue for Gold Coast, with captain Gary Ablett and Aaron Hall the latest to join names like David Swallow and Jaeger O’Meara on a long list of those unavailable to play Adelaide at Metricon Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Cochrane told SEN on Saturday Eade would be in charge next year regardless of how the remainder of 2016 panned out.

Follow Suns v Crows LIVE

“You have it in writing. I’ll put it in my blood if you like, not that my blood’s worth much,” Cochrane said.

“Rocket’s got a three-year deal here, and I am not a change merchant for the sake of change.”

He expressed confidence out-of-contract midfield pair O’Meara and Dion Prestia would not leave.

“They are required players here at the Gold Coast Suns,” Cochrane said.

"The money and the energy and the effort we put into getting O’Meara back to peak physical fitness with his problems has been extraordinary, and I think he appreciates and acknowledges that.

“I sincerely hope that he’s on board to repay our enormous effort and faith we put into him over the last couple of years while he’s been going through a difficult period.”

Cochrane also criticised the decision to appoint Guy McKenna at the club’s inception.

McKenna was sacked at the end of the 2014 season.

“I’ve only been here for two years, so I’m really, probably, the wrong person to ask (about why the Suns haven’t progressed further), because all I can do is give you Tony Cochrane’s opinion, not the Gold Coast Football Club’s opinion,” Cochrane said.

"I think they made some chronic errors. With great respect to our inaugural coach, there’s no way we should have had a junior coach.

“I think one of the outstanding things they did in (GWS) was put Kevin Sheedy up there, and Mark Williams for the first couple of years.”

Interesting that Andrew Swallow has criticised Gold Coast rehab group for their handling of his Brother’s injury… And they also have the issue with Jaegar’s injury… could he have been better handled at another club?

Yeah ti fell apart but the coach also changed a lot of the game style and that hurt them as well. Mixed in with the discipline problem you touched on meant they lacked focus on the field. If they get it back then, on paper, they could be very hard to beat, will be interesting to watch.

I hope they fail miserably and finish second last with carlton pipping them for the spoon on percentage. dislike them immensely.

Gold Coast

Ins – Daniel Currie, Matthew Rosa, Jarrad Grant,

My wordy lordy.

Are they trying to beat Carlton at the “huh? That guy got another gig?” game?

best 22
B Harbrow Thompson Saad
HB Malceski May Koldashnij
C O’Meara Prestia Swallow
HF Hall Lynch Miller
F Matera Day Garlett
R Nicholls Ablett© Rischetelli
Int Rosa Hallahan Mckenzie Lonergan
emg Shaw Wright Ahchee

Best 22 looks ok. I think if fit they will threaten for finals action.

If garlett ahchee and wright come on plus their mids stay injury free then they will finish 6-12 for mine. If gcs finishes lower than 12th eade will be in trouble.