Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Heath Shaw
  2. Adam Treloar
  3. Callan Ward
  4. Jeremy Cameron
  5. Stephen Coniglio

2015 Rising Star Noms

Cam McCarthy (Round 8)

Ins – Steve Johnson, Dawson Simpson, Jacob Hopper, Matthew Kennedy, Harrison Himmelberg, Matthew Flynn, Sam Reid, Daniel Lloyd

Outs – Dylan Addison, Thomas Bugg, Tim Golds, Curtley Hampton, Jed Lamb, Andrew Phillips, Lachlan Plowman, Liam Sumner, Jacob Townsend, Adam Treloar, Sam Schulz

My Prediction

GWS started to announce itself last season. They threatened the eight before losing 5 of their last 7 games. That is still a pass mark for a team still so full of young legs. This year though they need to improve. They need to run the season out.

The forward line is full of danger. McCarthy was fantastic for a young player, Cameron will only get better and if they can keep Patton on the field then the sky is the limit. On top of that they now have Stevie J running around the forward line. Pretty handy teacher for a young player.

The midfield loses a genuine top line talent in Treloar. Not sure they will really feel it though. They have talent to burn in there and with players like Kelly or even Hopper ready to step up, it shouldn’t bother them too much. Mumford is the most important player in the middle for GWS. If he stays fit, GWS will play finals football.

The backline has some good talent as well and it serviceable. Again as players get more and more used to what is required at the top level, they will get better. I feel if there is an area they lack depth then KP backs is probably it. Davis and Mohr can do the job but gets thin after that. Corr played some OK footall last year but they need other options. Running from HB isn’t a problem.

GWS have a genuine depth of talent. They have pulled Simpson in the hope he can support Mumford but I doubt it. Mumford is a gun and needs to play 20+ games this season. I think this is the last season before GWS are a genuine challenger. Somewhere between 7-9 for mine.

People are also forgetting the US college system only works because the players get squat and the Universities get everything. Not bad when you can fill a 50,000 stadium, sell merchandise etc and not have to pay the team much more than free accomodation, meals and a class to sleep in during the day. Throw in the TV rights and we all know who's getting all the cash!

What we need to do here in Aus is build up the second tier leagues through national Televised coverage. Every VFL, WAFL, SANFLand NEAFL game available to watch.

Nobody cares enough unfortunately. Wouldn't be enough audience, wouldn't be enough dollars. Heck, nobody watches half the AFL teams as it stands, let alone their seconds sides. A league doesn't get much FTA coverage, domestic cricket gets none, where exactly are these 4 or 5 extra leagues being broadcast?

And as an aside, a fair few people need to get some help for their rampant inferiority complex about Australia not being America.

GWS best 22
B Patful Mohr Tomlinson
HB Shaw Davis Griffen
C Coniglio Ward Whitfield
HF S. Johnson Patton Pickett
F McCarthy Cameron Smith
R Mumford Shiel Scully
Int Hoskin-elliott Steele Greene Kelly
Emg Palmer Hopper kennedy

Geez they have some talent

Not even sure if scully s good enough to get a game.
Strong midfield.

top ten picks just outside 22
Hopper
Kennedy
Ahern

I guess they are/will be a bit short on talls. McCarthy wants to leave. Bit himmelberg may be ok as a similar replacement. Havent seen much of pickett/ahern or marchbank yet. Kennedy and Hopper look afl ready now. There will be lots of pressure on palmer, And other mids surely one will be squeezed out again kelly to us? With treloar leaving they wont miss him as have so many mids all improving.

Hopper/ kennedy/ ward/ coniglio kelly/ whitfield/ pickett/smith/shiel have potential to be very goodplayers. Like parish/ z merrett/ heppell potential.

Holes in list are ruck/ key defense if mumford gets injured and davis they could be in trouble. But midfield should win plenty of ball.

Predict gws to make finals finish 5-8th.
And their reserves will win Neafl comp.

Probably write McCarthy off this year.
I enjoyed watching GWS play in 2015. Exciting. I saw most of their games.
Fix their defence and they play finals I reckon.

Mcarthy granted indefinite leave to deal with personal issues, allowed to spend time in WA with family and train in WA

GWS ■■■■■■ up there

Mcarthy granted indefinite leave to deal with personal issues, allowed to spend time in WA with family and train in WA

GWS ■■■■■■ up there

You could argue they stopped Freo winning the flag this year

Will they get any free agency compensation when he goes next trade period?

Probably write McCarthy off this year. I enjoyed watching GWS play in 2015. Exciting. I saw most of their games. Fix their defence and they play finals I reckon.

GWS ■■■■■■ up there

Yeah, cool story, GWS.

Surely the AFL should suspend McCarthy for failing to play? He should be suspended for a year (2017), he has signed obligations and is refusing to honour them. It is time the AFL started making it clear that a contract is a contract and penalties apply to those who, via their ■■■■■■■ managers, are failing to meet them? Also Freo should not be getting him for basically free just because they decided they didn’t want to really pay for him when the chance was there.

Surely the AFL should suspend McCarthy for failing to play? He should be suspended for a year (2017), he has signed obligations and is refusing to honour them. It is time the AFL started making it clear that a contract is a contract and penalties apply to those who, via their ■■■■■■■ managers, are failing to meet them? Also Freo should not be getting him for basically free just because they decided they didn't want to really pay for him when the chance was there.

If he’s got indefinite leave because of homesickness, then fair enough. A fine is fair.

But without knowing the specific details, it’s unfair to say he should be fined.
He could have a grandfather on his death bed, mother or father diagnosed with cancer or something similar. Under those circumstances, he’s entitled to some leave.

Or…
It could be the AFL’s way of punishing him for breaking the illicit drug code.
I’m surprised no one has been nabbed yet.

They’ll make the 8.

Surely the AFL should suspend McCarthy for failing to play? He should be suspended for a year (2017), he has signed obligations and is refusing to honour them. It is time the AFL started making it clear that a contract is a contract and penalties apply to those who, via their ■■■■■■■ managers, are failing to meet them? Also Freo should not be getting him for basically free just because they decided they didn't want to really pay for him when the chance was there.
It does reek of toys being thrown out of the pram, but it's unfair to jump to that conclusion.

Message to Cam McCarthy - toughen up princess.

It does reek of toys being thrown out of the pram, but it's unfair to jump to that conclusion.

Am I wrong in remembering that this year, he declared that he was moving to WA and did not want to play for GWS in 2016?

If he’s got indefinite leave because of homesickness, then fair enough. A fine is fair.

But without knowing the specific details, it’s unfair to say he should be fined.
He could have a grandfather on his death bed, mother or father diagnosed with cancer or something similar. Under those circumstances, he’s entitled to some leave.

Or…
It could be the AFL’s way of punishing him for breaking the illicit drug code.
I’m surprised no one has been nabbed yet.

Lol. Farking home sickness.
Grow a farking pair and live up to your obligations little boy.
This is the real world not kindie and then home to mum for play lunch.
You signed the contract, you took the money, now it’s your turn.

'Boot I assume you had all your sht together when you were 19/20 and never made decisions that seemed awesome at first but proved to be a bit tough later?

Draft age should be 21.

Kids get told all throughout high school “go to uni and get a degree! it’s the thing to do!”

They get to uni and realise “oh fk, life away from home is hard, I can’t do this” for a multitude of reasons. Financial, illness, depression, etc.

First year dropout rates are something like 1 in 8 for all unis, and 1 in 5 for regional unis (mostly featuring kids from rural areas).

Hardly surprising that every now and then an AFL footballer suffers similar issues.

'Boot I assume you had all your sht together when you were 19/20 and never made decisions that seemed awesome at first but proved to be a bit tough later?

Draft age should be 21.

I grew up in Adelaide and by the time I was 18 I was adamant I was going to have to move to Sydney at some stage as I was pretty ambitious career-wise and knew I had to up and move to gain the opportunities. Ended up moving to Melbourne at 25 and it proved the right decision.

If you have aspirations to play AFL you know moving is a pretty big possibility. If you haven’t mentally prepared for it you have done yourself a disservice and to be honest, it’s pretty ■■■■ of those you surround yourself with not making it perfectly clear as well (I obviously have no idea in Cam’s case, but geez, many signs point to what I’m thinking).

Draft age should be 21.

I grew up in Adelaide and by the time I was 18 I was adamant I was going to have to move to Sydney at some stage as I was pretty ambitious career-wise and knew I had to up and move to gain the opportunities. Ended up moving to Melbourne at 25 and it proved the right decision.

If you have aspirations to play AFL you know moving is a pretty big possibility. If you haven’t mentally prepared for it you have done yourself a disservice and to be honest, it’s pretty ■■■■ of those you surround yourself with not making it perfectly clear as well (I obviously have no idea in Cam’s case, but geez, many signs point to what I’m thinking).

can’t prepare yourself for depression.

Draft age should be 21.

Agree

We really need to look at how the US college system works in regards to sports

Draft age should be 21.

Have been saying that for years.