Season 2016 - Richmond

and for a lot he’ll be rememberd as that senile old flog on SEN

media can do wonders for ones reputation

Flog, ■■■■ coach and a squib who couldn’t man up and admit he played for himself in a team of stars and wondered why he couldn’t relate to anyone that could handball to someone else when he started coaching.
Stain of a human who buried a great man just for the purposes of his career and own self interest. I hope your club folds into a parallel universe where you have to play in the backline every week and get kicked in the balls by Satan wearing hobnail boots.
And I really mean that.

I have no problem having a go at players but when it comes to concussion (and they have both had it) then their decision to wear a protective helmet is never going to be worth ridiculing.

Can we make fun of the fact that helmets dont work and if anything have the potential to make things worse

Source?

There is plenty of research that moves along that line. NFL players suffer enormous levels of head injury and they wear serious helmets. With AFL a lot of the thinking is that it providesa false level of security and results in players taking extra risks.

Neglecting the false sense of security aspect (which for the most part I agree with - particularly with NFL players) the rest of that is just one man’s opinion with no actual studies to back him up

This doesn’t delve too much into helmet vs no helmet, but at least provides quantative evidence that there can be variation in concussion prevention effectiveness between different helmet designs
http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/football-helmets-reduce-concussion-risk-study-says

Have to point out that NFL & NRL are very different games to Aussie rules. Those games actually almost call for going in head first into opponents, whereas in the AFL, we don’t really do that as a rule … unless your name is Selwood.

Have to point out that NFL & NRL are very different games to Aussie rules. Those games actually almost call for going in head first into opponents, whereas in the AFL, we don't really do that as a rule .. unless your name is Selwood.

Accumulative head trauma is one thing (and I don’t think anyone would argue there is more in AFL than NRL or rugby), what’s being debated here is whether helmets have any effect reducing the severity or concussion.
In regards to physics, the logical answer would be yes (some force of the impact would be absorbed by the helmet)
Whether this actually reduces the severity of the concussion is still being debated, and unless China or Russia decide to do a real world test it will likely continue to be debated.
If i get a couple of hours free over the weekend I’ll try and find some proper studies, but a quick google tends to show up more opinion pieces rather than any definitive statistics outside the pure number of occurrences of concussion

If it makes the players and their families feel better than who cares what a bunch of people say in studies? It is up to the players and it won’t be made mandatory so why bother with this argument?

Flog, ■■■■ coach and a squib who couldn't man up and admit he played for himself in a team of stars and wondered why he couldn't relate to anyone that could handball to someone else when he started coaching. Stain of a human who buried a great man just for the purposes of his career and own self interest. I hope your club folds into a parallel universe where you have to play in the backline every week and get kicked in the balls by Satan wearing hobnail boots. And I really mean that.

Who?

Jim

I have no problem having a go at players but when it comes to concussion (and they have both had it) then their decision to wear a protective helmet is never going to be worth ridiculing.

Can we make fun of the fact that helmets dont work and if anything have the potential to make things worse

Source?

There is plenty of research that moves along that line. NFL players suffer enormous levels of head injury and they wear serious helmets. With AFL a lot of the thinking is that it providesa false level of security and results in players taking extra risks.

Neglecting the false sense of security aspect (which for the most part I agree with - particularly with NFL players) the rest of that is just one man’s opinion with no actual studies to back him up

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/6/314.full

Helmets and other devices have been shown to reduce the risk of severe head and facial injury, but current designs appear to make little difference to rates of concussion

Hard finding a stufy that comes out and supports or doesnt support helmets from a concussion perspective. That and I am too lazy to look too deeply. I remember during a coaching course for rugby some years ago that the talk was they werent effective in limiting concussion and the false sense of security they provided actually meant often they were worse. As far as I am aware, helmet design hasnt changed much in that time

Source?

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/6/314.full

Helmets and other devices have been shown to reduce the risk of severe head and facial injury, but current designs appear to make little difference to rates of concussion

Hard finding a stufy that comes out and supports or doesnt support helmets from a concussion perspective. That and I am too lazy to look too deeply. I remember during a coaching course for rugby some years ago that the talk was they werent effective in limiting concussion and the false sense of security they provided actually meant often they were worse. As far as I am aware, helmet design hasnt changed much in that time

Certainly not a lot of definitive literature that’s for sure
Guess it’s a bit hard when the only true way to test is to attempt to give humans concussions lol

Flog, ■■■■ coach and a squib who couldn't man up and admit he played for himself in a team of stars and wondered why he couldn't relate to anyone that could handball to someone else when he started coaching. Stain of a human who buried a great man just for the purposes of his career and own self interest. I hope your club folds into a parallel universe where you have to play in the backline every week and get kicked in the balls by Satan wearing hobnail boots. And I really mean that.

I hate it when you sugarcoat.

He also looks like Montgomery Burns.

It’s not surprising helmets have limited protection for concussion. The brain is surrounded by cerebrospinal fluid so will move with acceleration/ deceleration/twisting forces causing the brain injury through impact with the inner skull or stretching of fibres etc. A helmet won’t protect against brain movement inside the skull. It will dissipate a force & reduce skull fractures or scalp lacerations.

Removing the helmet if the player is injured can become a problem. Eg managing an airway in an unconscious patient when there is a grill in the way.

I look forward to taking a leak on that flogs statue after we smash richmond next season

BYO ladder ??

I look forward to taking a leak on that flogs statue after we smash richmond next season

What about No.2’s ?

Too far ?

BYO ladder ??

You’ve underestimated robbo.

BYO ladder ??

You’ve underestimated robbo.

Lol, just had a vision of him trying sans ladder & ■■■■■■’ in his own eyes …

Besides, if you’re gonna do it, you want to do it properly & be spraying away on that bald bronze bonce.

What about No.2’s ?

Too far ?

Why not both

Paint a red stripe on the statues sash and then put a paper bag with Tippas head on it.