Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Robbie Gray
  2. Ollie Wines
  3. Jasper Pittard
  4. Brad Ebert
  5. Travis Boak

2016 Rising Star Noms

Darcy Byrne-Jones (Rnd 10)

Ins – Todd Marshall, Sam Powell-Pepper, Joe Atley, Willem Drew, Peter Ladhams, Brett Addy, Jarrod Leinert

Outs – John Butcher, Kane Mitchell, Sam Colquhoun, Alipate Carlile, Jay Schulz, Cam O’Shea, Paul Stewart

My Prediction

They must have been disappointed last year. I think they have a list that should be capable of playing finals football. They appear able to win away from home and have Adelaide oval which should be a fortress although isnt.

The backline is average, they lack depth around the KP stocks but they do have some quality. Hombsch and Trengove are handy pair and Clurey shows a bit. They have plenty of distributors off half back and are trained to back themselves in with run. They have plenty who start back and can run through the midfield. They found one with Byrne-Jones but also have the likes of Impey, Krakouer and Hartlett who use it well.

The midfield is actually hard to get a read on. I feel like there is plenty of talent but then when you look at the individuals it starts to feel like so many arent playing or meeting their potential. Ollie Wines looked like he was going to tear the competition apart a few years ago, even Boak and Ebert seemed to have dropped off a little. Gray is a star and just incredibly reliable but he just needs more support.The likes of Toumpas and Polec need to lift in a big way. Hard to rate the midfield, on talent they are a top 8 team, on output they are a bottom 8 team.

Getting Ryder back will help their rucks. They have kept Lobbe who is another player who is living on his output of a couple of years ago. Needs to lift in a big way. Trengove shouldnt be playing in the ruck and I think ideally they would want Lobbe as first ruck and Ryder as forward/ruck although we all know Ryder plays better when he is the only ruck.

The forward line will be better this year. Dixon should be improved after probably not doing enough last year. I thought Young was good last year. Wingward was fantastic and is one player who certainly seems to get the most out of himself. I think they will enjoy see Ryder take some of the pressure off of Dixon as well. Westhoff has been steady previously but felt like his output last year was down.

Overall there is something decidedly average about the Port list and they could finish anywhere from 6th through to 12th. The pressure hasnt really kicked up on Hinkley. If he misses finals again this year, I think he will be gone. That being said, through gut feel more than anything else I dont think they will. I think they will sit somewhere between 6 and 8

F off and die Port

B: Byrne-Jones Broadbent Krakoer
HB: Pittard Trengove Hartlett
C: Ebert Boak Polec
HF: Wingard Westoff Neade
F: Monfries Dixon Young
R:Ryder Wines R Gray
Int: S Gray, White, Impey, Powell-Pepper,
Emg: Lobbe, Bonner, Amon

Port would be hoping a lift from the following players - Ryder + Monfries,
And improvement from Talented Youngsters - Riley Bonner, Powell-Pepper, Toumpas, and Marshall to put on some size in the SANFL.

If Ryder can become influential then they could have a good year. Possilby 7-12 range. My guess is 12th Miss the finals. Defence looks a bit weak against the top teams. And forwardline relies on Young and Wingard kicking the goals, need more from Dixon and to some extent Ryder, monfries back should help.

They cant play Lobbe and Ryder together IMO. Only if Ryder needs a "rest’ in the forwardline if sore etc.

IMO Lobbe needs to reinvent himself as a CHF
He’s too spudly in the actual ruck contents to be considered a first choice ruckman, and not Adam Goodesy enough to make up for it

B: Byrne-Jones Broadbent Krakoer HB: Pittard Trengove Hartlett C: Ebert Boak Polec HF: Wingard Westoff Neade F: Monfries Dixon Young R:Ryder Wines R Gray Int: S Gray, White, Impey, Powell-Pepper, Emg: Lobbe, Bonner, Amon

Port would be hoping a lift from the following players - Ryder + Monfries,
And improvement from Talented Youngsters - Riley Bonner, Powell-Pepper, Toumpas, and Marshall to put on some size in the SANFL.

If Ryder can become influential then they could have a good year. Possilby 7-12 range. My guess is 9th Miss the finals. Defence looks a bit weak against the top teams. And forwardline relies on Young and Wingard kicking the goals, need more from Dixon and to some extent Ryder, monfries back should help.

They cant play Lobbe and Ryder together IMO. Only if Ryder needs a "rest’ in the forwardline if sore etc.

Hombsch and Jonas will come back into the backline injuries permitting I’d expect

Quickly becoming one of my most hated teams in the league. Huge FIGJAM club. Kochy is a dickehad. And I cannot stand every single one of their players.

2 Likes
Quickly becoming one of my most hated teams in the league. Huge FIGJAM club. Kochy is a dickehad. And I cannot stand every single one of their players.

I like Wines and Wingard, But you can have the rest.

So much of their success hinged on the so called fitness advantage which has gone and since then their drafts have been a bust.

Too much left to too little.

Also they have more infighting than any team in the comp.

Such an irrelevant club. Up there with north for the most irrelevant franchise.

Farkport
10th

Hate them all except for gus.

Fark them, hope they fold.

They’ll probably be around the 8 but doubt they’ll get in.

I think they’ll be middle of the road. The list is ok so might come down to luck with injury.

If they have a really bad year Hinkley would be a dark horse for a late season sacking. Doubt it though as I think they’ll be ok.

F off and die Port

In depth well thought out and brilliant summary of how we all feel.

I like Wines and Wingard, But you can have the rest.

So much of their success hinged on the so called fitness advantage which has gone and since then their drafts have been a bust.

Too much left to too little.

Also they have more infighting than any team in the comp.

Which was beaten by a few extra running sessions.

One of the hard teams to get a read on, being able to beat or lose to anyone on any given day. Too much was left to too few and their fast rebound football style was found out and shut down,

Backline - 6 : Trengrove played his best football in the ruck last year but is more needed down back with Ryder returning, he’ll slot straight into a KP position spot. He’s never been anything more than a reliable back and with him and Hombsch returning from injury they’ll form a reliable pair. Logan Austin was called on for the second half of the year when Hombsch got injured and did a good enough job to allow Trengrove into the ruck without missing out on too much, likewise Clurey who found himself in the side and was useful without being anything special. You can’t carry all four in the same down down back so I’d think Trengrove and Hombsch would be the first two options. Jasper Pittard has the best year of his career and one of the few winners all year for Port down back. Too the game on regularly with strong rebound and is definitely their best player and most creative down back, he’s definitely their most exciting prospect off the half-back line. Hartlett has gone from a long term contract to being put on the trade table such was his fall. Regularly he struggled and he was nothing more than a good player on paper, even at one stage having 2 kicks for an entire game. He’s still a good player on paper but I don’t know what happened to him, in Port’s prelim year a few years ago he was one of their best and now he looks lazy, lost, doesn’t man up and didn’t even do too much attacking wise. He’ll need a huge lift this year. Bryne-Jones you could put in the tick category, he tried to pick up some of the Hartlett slack and had some good games suggesting he could follow Pittard’s suit and be a good line breaker. His kicking is still suspect so he’ll need to tighten that aspect of his game. Broadbent proved to be one of the few winners along with Pittard, he was pretty good all year and decent enough from the backline and was one of the few to actually want to tackle which a lot of his team mates don’t like doing a lot of. Jonas I don’t rate, couldn’t get in the team for the majority of last year and provides nothing offensively, reminds me of Morris mk2. Krackeour is another who I don’t rate, the guy will be 29 and still doesn’t have a tank and goes missing for long stretches and has some shockers, if ever there’s a guy that needs consistency it’s him, at his best he can read the play like few others but he’s too often lazy and ineffectual. They have some good runners off the backline but it’s hardly one that you’d worry about, very middle of the road backline unless a few stand up.

Midfield - 6.5 : Probably only on paper because in reality was closer to a 5 or 6 than 7, I’m being generous in thinking the players that were so good a few years ago will be able to return to some form. Robbie Gray is easily in their best and most consistent player, either in the midfield or up forward he kicks goals or is just a class ahead. I won’t be surprised if he wins a Brownlow this year as he can turn a game, he just needs some of his mates to come with him. Boak was good in 2015 but mediocre at best in 2016, managed to win a little of the ball but had just as many average games as he did good games and unless he can enter an elite grade with Gray then they can probably forget about finals. Ebert was a underrated gem a few years ago but like Ollie Wines they both just lacked spark, Wines did his best to win the contested ball but neither were as good as they were previously and seeming as they rely on their midfield so much if they aren’t improving then you’re regressing You paper you’d have to say a midfield containing Gray, Boak, Wines, Ebert and perhaps Wingard & Hartlett and you should have yourself a good midfield but they are all very like for like and lack pace and imagination and some silky skill. They can all win the hard ball but you’d have to think only Gray would really hurt you, and still no other midfielders have really stepped up. Toumpas was a former number 4 pick but hasn’t done anything at Port just like he did at Melbourne, and I don’t think he’ll be anything more than a ball magnet at best. Polec on his day is a gun but from my count had about 3 very good games last year and the rest were OK, you just can’t afford that if your aim is finals. Perhaps Matt White’s return will be the tonic for a boost, his speed and presence probably mean more to Port than his actual output and I think they need more players like him that can add an extra dimension to their side, in the same way Colyer does for us. Otherwise a lot depends on their established players to give them a shot whilst at the same time hoping to blood a player like Bonner or hope Sam Gray can take the next step.

Ruck - 7: Plenty of options, Ryder returning means Trengrove returns to the backline and should switch up between forward and ruck. Lobbe struggled with injury last year so whether he can return to the side will be interesting, he needs to add more to his game than just rucking. They have 3 first choice options that can ruck easily so they should be better placed than last year.

Forwardline - 6.5 : Dixion will be their man, I think he copped some criticism but I thought he never gave and always tried to have an influence. I think too much was left to Dixion and I have a feeling he was carrying a foot injury for most of the year so this year will be the true test. 50 goals for him should be the aim provided the midfield can actually help him. Westhoff isn’t really a KPP and more a third/roaming forwardback/ruck who fills in everywhere. Dixion will need both Westhoff and Ryder to help chime in with some more goals which may mean the Hoff plays closer to goal this year instead of roaming around getting easy kicks. I can probably count on one hand the amount of games Ryder has won playing forward and it’s not many, so I’m not sure counting on him to kick regular goals is wise. Monfries will be interesting to watch, some said he might not even get a spot on the list , provided he maintains some form he’s a regular goal kicker and he’d be in my forwardline until they find anyone else that can manage to kick a goal or two. Age might count against him but he can snare you 2/3 goals most weeks. Wingard fell down a hole last year, kicked 53 goals in 2015 winning AA selection and struggled to find a goal last year. He needs to be able to have more full games, too often only having good bursts and then going missing. I think perhaps midfield might be more his go this year because he should be so much more than a handy goal sneak for someone has talented as him, he was supposed to be a superstar and last year he was OK. Aaron Young impressed me last year, coming into the team and kicking goals often and having a lot of 4 goal bags and to me was their best find of the year. He just needs the others to stand up and he’ll be a dangerous player, someone that will cause big headaches this year for opposition teams. Neade knows how to snare a goal but needs to learn how to do more when the ball isn’t in his hands whilst Impey switches towards forward and back without being overly good at either. Both could make a difference but neither probably will.

Predicted Finish - 7th - 10th : Very hard to read, could get a home final or could finish well outside finals, you just never know. They have good names that need to lift and is typical of a team that got ahead of itself too early with Gray and only possibly a handful of others that actually had a good 2016. I think they’ll finish about 8th, I can’t see too many of their stars having another bad year.

I reckon if you asked every one of their midfielders who was the team’s most important midfielder, they’d all say, ‘I am.’

1 Like

Great work CB

Koch is a raving DH, and I hope Judas' stupid teal boot falls off with his foot still in it.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

( someone here mentioned the red and yellow flag of China months ago, can’t remember who it was, but take a bow :slight_smile: )

GOLD Coast is leaving Port Adelaide president David Koch red-faced on the jumper row not even the AFL will touch before their historic clash in China.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The Suns are disputing Koch’s claim there is a contractual demand for Gold Coast to abandon its red-and-yellow home jumper — which resembles the Chinese national flag — to wear white in Shanghai on May 14.

And the Suns have rebuffed Koch’s threat to have Gold Coast never again invited to China saying it is the AFL — and not the Power boss — who will decide who plays when and where on the premiership calendar.

Gold Coast put, in its reckoning, a full stop to the guernsey drama by presenting its red jumper as its official uniform for the China at an AFL-managed media presentation in Shanghai today.

The AFL is refusing to enter the stoush, with league executive Travis Auld repeating the game program has Gold Coast listed as the home team — and league rules allow the Suns to stay in red while Port Adelaide will wear black.

This is the same arrangement the AFL allows for all Suns v Power games whether they are on the Gold Coast or at Adelaide Oval because of the distinct contrast between the two clubs’ home jumpers.

Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane today told The Advertiser he would not “get into a public stoush” with Koch, a longstanding friend, out of respect for his work in financially refloating the once-ailing Port Adelaide Football Club.

But Cochrane invited The Advertiser to run past the AFL the explosive remarks Koch made on radio station FIVEaa during the Power’s internal trial at Alberton Oval last Friday.

Koch said: “It is in our contract that they will play their away strip.”

Gold Coast responds: “There is no written agreement.”

Koch said: “I’ve said this quite clearly from the start — if you want this to be only a one-year project for you, then you wear your home strip.

“If you want to be our partner for a number of years … well then you’ll wear your away strip.

“It’s not an ultimatum, it’s just very clear where we’re coming from. We’re paying you half-a-million dollars to buy your home game.”

Gold Coast responds: “The AFL — not Koch — has full responsibility for the league calendar.”
The Suns also dismissed the notion it has brought nothing to the commercial table for the game that will mark the first AFL premiership match played outside Australia and New Zealand.

This was backed up today with Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Steven Ciobo announcing in Shanghai that Toruism Australia will financially back the May 14 match. Ciobo is the Federal MP in Gold Coast’s south Queensland district.

The Tourism Australia logo will appear on the back of both the Suns and Power jumpers.

Cochrane told The Advertiser the Suns will continue to add to the commercial return in Shanghai by delivering Queensland Tourism and Gold Coast Tourism to the game sponsors’ list.

“We’ve played a role too,” Cochrane said. “We’ve used our marketing power too, particularly when China ranks at No. 1 in the Queensland tourism market.”

Gold Coast this week in Shanghai was named China’s most popular western destination at the annual Destination of the Year awards.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/port-adelaide/suns-declare-port-adelaide-president-david-kochs-threats-on-china-jumper-row-are-empty/news-story/098e3a12089a5d1749050ad41646b4a0

Koch is a raving DH, and I hope Judas’ stupid teal boot falls off with his foot still in it.

farkport