1. Marcus Bontempelli
  2. Dale Morris
  3. Lachie Hunter
  4. Tom Liberatore
  5. Liam Picken

2016 Rising Star Noms

Caleb Daniel (Rnd 4)
Josh Dunkley (Rnd 20)

Ins – Travis Cloke, Tim English, Patrick Lipinski, Lewis Young, Fergus Greene, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh

Outs – Will Minson, Jed Adcock, Luke Goetz, Joel Hamling, Nathan Hrovat, Koby Stevens

My Prediction

Seems weird previewing the premier so early into the process but during the home and away they were the 7th best team. It was a bit of an unusual finals series and one I am not sure we will see the like of again for some time. I guess the question is whether it was also a freak event for the Dogs or are they a genuine challenger again this year.

The backline was under rated last year. They had some injury issues down back but they kept finding players and depth. Murphy comes back into the fold this year, there has to be some concern with both him and Boyd celebrating their 35th birthdays during the season and Morris not long after. For KP depth they look alright, Roberts and Collins coming through with Adams. They have the ability to provide good run from half back with Suckling, Wood and Johannisen all attacking players.

The midfield is the strength of the team. The Bont still has upside which is frightening in itself, much like Fyfe he can change a game very quickly. Libba and Wallis are still young and still have a lot of upside. You then look at Dunkley, Macrae, Daniel, Hunter and Dahlhaus and you have one of the best midfields in the competition. They really don’t lack anything through there and are still so young that they should continue to improve. If they arent the best midfield in the compeition, they are certainly in the conversation.

The rucks are an area that will be interesting to watch. Roughead did the job last year. Certainly doesnt feel like a dominant ruck and I think whilst Boyd was good as well in patches, surely he is needed more as a forward.

The forward line was the weak link last year. I am not sure I understand the recruitment of Cloke. I can sort of see why he is appealing but I dont think they lacked height or marking targets and with Crameri coming back they looked ok structurally to me. Campbell, Boyd, Dickson, Redpath and Crameri looks OK for marking targets. Stringer was down for periods last year but still capable of anything. They probably lack a real opportunist small forward but plenty of their mids drift forward like Macrae, Dunkley and Dahlhaus. Boyd stood up in the grand final last year and will be interesting to see if that is a turning point for him and his overall output this year.

Before I sat down to look at the Dogs I had a more negative view than I do now. They have so much talent through their midfield and reason for plenty of optimism up forward. Their backline could be fragile but there is certainly young talent developing and read to step up when the older players finish up. They should improve this year depending on how they deal with the premiership hangover. Top four team for mine. 3rd or 4th.

18th

Top 4. Though if cloke struggles it could really upset their structure and dynamic

Morris Adams boyd
Wood cordy jj

Hunter bont McRae
Roughead libba dalhause

Stringer Cloke Daniel
Dixon crameri Boyd

Picken, Biggs, bob Murphy, Smith,

Wallis will work back in once fit, dunkley unlucky but Bob might need a bit of time.

I think the Bulldogs are covering bases should Redpath/Crameri/Stringer have injuries - which is, let’s face it - highly likely.

Top 4. Though if cloke struggles it could really upset their structure and dynamic
Interesting comment given that they won the gf without him last year and also have crameri to return to the mix
Interesting comment given that they won the gf without him last year and also have crameri to return to the mix

I think he means if he’s in the team and struggling.
If he’s in the 2’s (where he should be unless there is a big jump in form) then they won’t be affected

Cloke is there for depth, although l expect him to improve on his output from his last season with the Pies, where he was badly managed by Bucks, and had his confidence shot. He will play his role when called on, but not convinced he is in their best 22. His kicking for goal is still a bit dodgy, but his work rate is still valuable. `

Travis ‘invisibility’ Cloke is there until Redpath gets back from his knee

I only got to watch them live once last season and that was against us at Etihad just before finals.

I was extremely impressed with their high quality skill level by both hand and foot, in particular in close and under pressure.

Their ball movement all over the ground was just so exquisitely clean throughout the finals.

Albeit having a few veterans on their list, they also have a battery of outstanding under 25’s which will keep them in the mix for another flag or two for 5 or so years to come.

I also believe that both their team and Cloke will benefit equally as he won’t have to deal with butchered entries into their forward 50 from the Doggies midfield as much as he had to with the Pies onballers.

Top two for mine.

Travis 'invisibility' Cloke is there until Redpath gets back from his knee
Not all that sure that Boyd and Redpath can exist in the same team.

Cloke’s a bit different.

Premiership hangover coming, top 4 with a late charge, out in the prelim.

Different from our 94 premiership hangover?

I think the Bulldogs are covering bases should Redpath/Crameri/Stringer have injuries - which is, let's face it - highly likely.

Does it count if Crameri only appears to be injured during a game?

B: Morris Adams boyd
Hb: Wood cordy Suckling
C: Hunter Bontempelli johanieson
Hf: Crameri Cloke Daniel
F: Dalhouse Stringer Boyd
R:Roughead Liberatore Macrae

Int: Picken, Murphy, Wallis, Dunkley

Emg: Smith, Biggs, Dickson

Not sure if cloke gets a game. They are a good team will finish top 4

Interesting to see what happens up forward. They scored at about the rate of a Ross Lyon team during the season before flicking the switch come finals time.

They will improve. 6th.

I think they barely make the 8. much like last year.

1 Like

Cloke’s been a good player for 9 years and terrible for 1, and I would argue he’s got about 43 mates on the Collingwood list who have played their worst career footy under Buckley in 2016.

Dogs generally get their scores out of the crumbers & chipscabs (cough Stringer cough) running forward, Cloke only needs to do enough to drag out the best big defender away from their good, small & mid-sized forwards. Can still mark, got a huge boot and he covers the ground OK. Less pressure on him to be the guy who kicks all the goals (cos he’s not and never will be the spearhead)

Redpath’s meh, and I don’t think Boyd’s all that much better yet, GF notwithstanding.

And surely the umpires wise up to their, ahem, “skill” at flicking the ball around??
Surely.

Let alone that utter cheat Toby “Selwood” McLean.

It seems were the only team that gets punished for it if it’s not Zach merrett or dois doing it.