Season 2018 - Fremantle

Will finish above Wet Toast on the ladder, but remain in the bottom half of the ladder.

1 Like

I think they’d keep him around in that event, if they played a decent amount of promising young players for the year.

A few posters are saying that they will be hard to beat at home. I don’t believe that this will be the case as they will be playing at the new Perth Stadium with different dimensions than what Subi was for them.

I think it will take both WA teams a good year or two before they feel like they are comfortable playing there and therefore are ripe for the picking at the new ground for travelling teams.

With both WA teams lists looking rather average at this point, we may have to wait until the Western Derby to finally see a Perth team ‘christen’ the new stadium with a win.

2 Likes

I agree BB. The new Perth Stadium standard ground shape takes away a lot of home ground advantage, so now theres the travel, and the home crowd to deal with. Its probably worth a couple of goals. Playing in the West early in the season is bad, potentially having heat on the back of the dehydrating effects of the plane trip to deal with.

We were cooked by half time against Freo last season.

“…Flying may be a quick and convenient method of getting around, but it does have some drawbacks. Some of the common health problems that affect airplane passengers, for instance, are often the result of a lack of humidity in the cabin air, which can lead to dehydration if you’re not careful. The air inside the cabin of a plane usually has a humidity level of 10 to 20 percent — much lower than a comfortable typical indoor humidity of 30 to 65 percent. For this reason, it’s very important to take measures to keep yourself hydrated while you’re on a plane…”

By Marijke Vroomen-Durning, RN
Medically Reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH

1 Like

Who do you have trading places with them?

I’m still coming to terms with the fact that Zac Dawson is no longer on an AFL list.

2 Likes

Don’t agree with the stadium thing at all. They will still have their significant home ground advantage, which is 80% plus due to the opposition having to fly, them having the hostile crowd and the huge umpiring bonus they get, not to mention the occasionally high temperatures which causes a monstrous advantage when it applies (see us in 2015 was it?).

5 Likes

And you know this? how?

Good question. As per my range, maybe none. However outside of that WC, Footscray, Stkilda and Hawthorn are all within that level and could rise or fall.

WC for me - they have the most downside, I reckon. Hawks will be middling, and the other two will be around the top 8 you’d say.

I can understand your thinking but the change in dimensions (similar to the MCG & ES) will suit Freo’s game. They won 5 of 10 home games last year against struggling interstate teams: Bulldogs, North, Essendon, Carlton and Gold Coast. Whereas their results in Victoria were 3 wins from 5 games beating Melbourne and Richmond at the G and North at ES. They lost to Geelong by 2pts (Walters missed an easy goal to win the match) and Essendon at ES by 15pts when we had so much more to play for. That’s 4 good performances against top 9 teams.

Freo have a better than average list and will be tough to beat in round 2.

1 Like

Harley Bennell apparently in trouble again.

Such a shame he’s p!ssing his career away because he is one of the most talented guys in the AFL. We may never actually see his best footy.

1 Like

The AFL.com article is even predicting the future now. It says he found himself in more trouble in april this year.
At least we know from that he gets another chance after this night club incident.

Seriously though, I agree with you re never seeing his best. It’s unlikely now you’d think

I like Ross Lyon

When do I cash in my bet?

I thought you said he’d never play for them?

1 Like

I was wiley enough to cover my ■■■ with the qualifier that if he did it would be a minute amount of tokenistic games. Which they were. I think they were hoping that hauling him onto the park would control the chaos. Unfortuately there’s the other 6 and a half days of the week to account for…

3 Likes

I don’t get this. He had a 10k fine with 5k suspended from his last incident.

So this time lets give him a 15k fine with 5k suspended, given there is no mention of the activation of the suspension I assume that of the 10k he has to fork out, 5k is the previous suspended coin. Given the success of the last 5k suspended fine why bother again?

All he has learnt is next time he stuffs up it will cost him 15k…with 5k suspended.

Bloke is a lost cause. Hardly anyone at the club likes him

1 Like

The VIC