Season 2018 - Hawthorn

On the list of possible explanations, that’s somewhere near the bottom I reckon.

1 Like

With Stratton, Frawley etc nearing 30, maybe a tall defender was their first priority.

They have Breust, Morrison and maybe the #36 in their magoos, Dylan something Moore(?) as small forwards.

I expect they thought they could net the Mozzie at pick 60-something.

2 Likes

Was Mosquito selected in the 3rd round? All the good defenders are playing for someone at that end of the draft. You’d think that a highly promising goal sneak would be pretty desirable if still available. Look, I’m hoping young Mosquito kicks 400+ over a long and successful career but if Hawthorn had the capacity to take him but declined, you have to wonder why?

It was pretty simple, they wanted him but not at that price because they felt they would lose the tall they wanted.

You can go looking for other things but there simply aren’t any. They didn’t rate him as being a high pick and passed on his price due to other requirements.

He isn’t Rioli, he isn’t a high first round pick. He is a good prospect that falls to a later pick.

7 Likes

Yes, but why though?
And why did they pick exactly the same sort of player with their next pick even though they didn’t at all but let’s pretend they did.

1 Like

I think Dodo summed it up when he said that by pick 38 you are taking a risk and we decided to risk it on an exciting type with a lot of upside whereas Hawks went more conservative.

1 Like

If Kosi’s cousin is similar to Kosi in consistency & temperament, they are taking a hell of a risk also.

If I were a Sainter, he would have been the most frustrating player to watch, as he under performed in so many crunch games it wasn’t funny.

Bit like us with Myers/Rioli. I guess we did have Lovett running around though.

2 Likes

How many small, almost project-like, crumbling forwards go early in the draft?
We had 4 play seniors last season; 2 came off the rookie list, 1 we got as a delisted FA and the other was a third round pick

I’m not wondering why Mosquito went when he did, rather why didn’t Hawthorn match Essendon’s bid to keep him after investing so much time and effort into him?

Question will be…do they really spend much time and effort on NGA or is it just a rort for Sydney to take advantage of?

2 Likes

Apparently Hawthorn members were getting regular updates over the last few years on Mosquito and were expecting to draft him. However they are now claiming he was only worth a late pick or a rookie spot.

1 Like

Because Moz found out that The Dawks put Snags in Rolls, and told them to fk off, … & if they drafted him, he’d retire rather than be associated with such nonsense.

2 Likes

You’d think any club that goes to the trouble of establishing an academy would seek to benefit from it at some point.

Sydney wanted Dunkley’s kid but couldn’t afford him (not enough points for Mills + Dunkley IIRC) so he went to the Bulldogs. Hawthorn passed on Mosquito for no obvious reason. Seems odd.

They’d already picked up 2 x small fwd/mids in Minchington as a DFA and Wingard via trade.

Clearly they felt needed to address other list needs at that point over another similar type.

I assume they would have taken him still though if got past their first pick which was a kpd at 52.

If they’d have picked him next pick wasn’t until 70’s IIRC after getting something back courtesy of points given how that system works.

1 Like

Minchington - ■■■■ got about 5 games in 7 years at a ■■■■ club in St Kilda.

Yeah…he’s their new Cyril.

2 Likes

Apparently …

In any case worked in our favour so who cares

Hopefully Hawks will bleed over this like we have for Rioli for so long!

Look, I hope it works out for I Mosquito, who doesn’t want to hear that name over the next 10x years but it seems like a strange move from Hawthorn.

Anyway, it wouldn’t be the first time a club makes the wrong call on a player. They did it with J Kennedy but apart from him, I can’t think of too many other mistakes they have made in this regard recently.

Can’t they go into deficit for the following year?

Not sure the deficit rule existed at the time.

1 Like