Season 2018 - Sydney - Diggers.. come at him

The reason the Cats delisted Menzel is very well known. 4 Knees, struggles to stay on the park. Sydney know that and are happy to take a low risk punt. If he plays a heap that’s great. If not then it’s a very small investment.

The Mosquito thing is an unknown at the moment so people are speculating. Mozzie will be great though.

I think its pretty obvious why the swans did it.
They just flicked someone with stuffed knees Johnson 5-6 recos.
so they have picked up someone else with slightly less stuffed knees who can stay on the park.
Also SCG Fits in with less chasing. And he adds experience to the forwardline, ie would be handy if buddy was out.
However if Menzel cant do the team things, I can still see him playing in the NEAFL.
Its really a pretty low risk punt, depending on the coin.

I still have fond memories of the game we won at the SCG in 2007 after Mcphee stepped outside the boundary & Spike kicked a last minute goal. After the 3qtr time siren Spider Everett conceded a rushed point after he punched the ball through even though it was falling well short. The Swans fans were completely ignorant of the rules had no idea why we got what turned out to be the winning point. “Is there anyone here who’s actually ever played this game before” didn’t exactly shut them up but I enjoyed the ire it drew.

3 Likes

Fixed that for you.

4 Likes

He only played 13 this year but 18 & 19 the previous years. Thats not struggling to stay on the park like he was a few years back. I still reckon there must be other issues he has offield because for mine Geelong need another forward goal kicker more than just about anyone else.

Plus it has been suggested, (not by Geelong but also not denied by Geelong) that Menzel’s defensive deficiencies are greater than his offensive strengths and they felt he has become a liability.

What’s known is he can kick goals. What’s also known is that his tackle count is very low. Sydney feels it can get a positive return from him.

Not sure how A Johnson would feel about his hiring though. Delisting a guy on 5x recons and hiring a another guy on 4x.

1 Like

I think the scenario would be different if Menzel didn’t have 3 decent years clear of his last reco & Johnson wasn’t just starting his rehab from his latest. Terrible story, but I’d be surprised if Johnson begrudged a guy who had overcome similar hurdles.

You don’t like questions do you?

“That guy is curious. He doesn’t think like us… GET HIM”.

You are as white bread, beige and vanilla as they come.

That’s true.

Yes he has been better the last couple of years. He doesn’t have any off field issues. His team mates rate him as very professional. He’s always locked horns with Geelong over contracts. It was more likely something in that space. Also Geelong are really lacking forward half pressure. Sydney probably have more capacity to cover the areas that Menzel’s game lacks. And they need more firepower.

Something wrong with vanilla?
You prefer chocolate or strawberry, perhaps?
Also - that I’m ‘vanilla’ is pretty laughable.

1 Like

Laughable? You’re a funny guy, Vanilla Boy.

One of my many strong suits, thank you :slight_smile:

Plus, their overly defensive game-plan is so. ■■■■■■■. Boring. Roos, Longmire, and Lyon should be charged by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute.

1 Like

You’re pretty funny alright.

I met Luke Parker the other day. True story.

I trust he was nice to you?

1 Like

I always liked Sydney. Then we had 2 really painful losses to them in 2017 and i hated them. Then we beat them this season and now i can like them again. Who knows what 2019 will hold.

I’d like to get a Sydney supporters honest opinion on where they’re at? I have a friend that’s a mad swans supporter and he thinks it’s looking a little grim. He generally leans toward the glass half empty opinion every year though. I’d say they’ll just scrape into the 8.

1 Like

I wasnt that wrapt with Sydneys draft.
Blakey will be a gun and they were lucky no bids came early.
But Rowbottom at his pick didnt inspire me that much.
He wasnt in Cal Twomeys top 30. - was a surprise for Cal. And Knightmare had him at 42.
James Rowbottom (VIC)
Height, Weight: 185cm, 78kg
Summary Profile: Proficient stoppage player. Strong tackler who wins his own ball and has a burst of speed.

I’d like to get a Sydney supporters honest opinion on where they’re at? I have a friend that’s a mad swans supporter and he thinks it’s looking a little grim. He generally leans toward the glass half empty opinion every year though. I’d say they’ll just scrape into the 8.

well you’ve come to the right place…

5 Likes