Season 2019 - Adelaide

Thanks for the reminder.
Here’s to Adelaide losing the Grand Final.

1 Like

If Stocker is a flop and they lose pick 1 or 2 to Adelaide, Sos is going to be crucified by the supporters. it will be a joy to watch

6 Likes

Liam Jones has already gone down for them, not sure how big a loss he is really.

he was the closest thing they had to a KPD last year with Docherty out and from memory Weitering was still being used up forward

every little injury or interruption to pre-season counts.

Walker and Sloane announced as co-captains. sounds like more and more players are being promised captaincies if they sign multi-year deals with their clubs.

Walker is OK to good as a player, but I am not impressed by him as a captain. Playing an absolute stinker in a Granny is enough to be sacked imo. But then his performances in the media last year were poor. OK, maybe he is popular with the players. So be it, I couldn’t give a rats tbh.

I’ve never been a big wrap for key forwards being the captain. It just seems like its the most difficult part of the ground to really show leadership when the side is struggling. Even a great like Carey didn’t really have much influence in his 3 GF’s with a total of 4 goals.

TD and James Hird say hi !

2 Likes

they werent your run of the mill key forwards though.

1 Like

Yeah but James captained mostly from the midfield & never actually played full-time as a key forward (roaming half forward is not the same as a 194cm, 98kg key forward). Like TD, he was a versatile player who could play almost anywhere & often did. When the team needed it both would go back or drift forward depending on the situation. James in particular appeared to have full licence to go wherever he wanted. Thats the whole point - a tall heavy player doesn’t have that same versatility around the ground hence why I believe they can struggle to effectively lead when the team is down. Walker individually didn’t have that bad a GF game but for a captain he was invisible when they needed a leader on field. From FF, I think its harder to inject yourself onto the game. It doesn’t mean they aren’t good leaders in every other aspect.

2 Likes

Reckon both Hirdy and TD were definitely key forwards.

Hird was a mid without a doubt.

you haven’t watched much footy if you think otherwise.

1 Like

He wasn’t a very good full back.

1 Like

You remember those guys named Lloyd & Lucas - they were our key forwards. Salmon, Merrett - seeing any patterns here at all, you know maybe the fact they were taller & heavier??? JoeDan is a key forward, Stringer is a half forward who can rotate on ball. Stringer can often be found in a key forward role BUT he is not a key forward. Tex Walker does not have the versatility to play almost anywhere on the ground like Jim & TD did hence why I believe comparing them is silly at best.

TD for example was moved out of CHF during the 84 grand final replaced by Westen. TD played a fair chunk of his career in the backline in varying roles because he was flexible enough to do that. I don’t believe I’ve seen Walker holding down any defensive role in any game.

Tex Walker’s only defensive role has been to plead “Not guilty” at tribunal hearings.

Norm smith runner up in 96.

Kicked himself out of it more than anything - total of 4.7 in his 3 GFs.

JBomb, you are more black & white and farking more stubborn than me.

I’m also clearly most observant than you if you think Hird played much if any of his years as captain in a key forward role.

Yep. Hird played everywhere. And mostly on the ball. What I recall is that when the team was struggling, which it did, then he’d be the one to go on to the ball to try and change the game.

1 Like