Season 2019 - Collingwood

The thread on that twitter link is mostly horrible.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a serious issue and people will make disparaging comments until the AFL/AFLPA openly acknowledge certain issues exist amongst the AFL playing group. Gambling and drugs are the big two I’m referring to. The way these issues are hushed up unfortunately means a lot of cynicism exists and social media is a platform for these messages to spread like wildfire.

4 Likes

… and it is a disgrace that the AFL deal with these issues in this way.

Why.

Because I don’t think he has a mental health issue at all. I think it’s likely some other issue that is being covered up under the subject of mental health.

I have no idea if I am correct. But the AFL have given me no reason to be anything other then highly cynical.

4 Likes

They constantly cover stuff up under the guise of mental health

In saying that Beams certainly has had things happen in his life which would caused immense mental anguish

1 Like

Some of the tweets about his father this year were absolutely disgraceful.
Given he moved to Brisbane to be closer to him in the last portion of his life, I wouldn’t be surprised if it spiralled him back towards depression or whatever else he did to mask the depression.

2 Likes

Wasn’t Beams out indefinitely with a hip injury anyway?

and second on the ladder.
i’d like it too, but they still have to get out of that gear come finals, that’s the thing you can rarely just flick a switch and it happens.

1 Like

yep wasn’t depression the biggest factor as to why he gave up the brisbane captaincy.

I get the cynicism as mental health issue has become a get out of jail free card in certain aspects.

but the ones who seem to have legit mental health issues follow a certain parth, Clarke, boyd, stevens etc etc.
They rarely just miss 4 weeks and then come back to career best form, cough franklin cough.

DID YOU GUYS HEAR RAZ IS GOING TO PORT ADELAIDE???

Addiction is also classed under metal health. Why is that an issue?

1 Like

My point is the AFL and the AFLPA flatly refuse to admit their players have any issues with any forms of addiction. The end result of this is that when someone like Beams comes out his story is meet with cynicism.

If there was confirmation that yes gambling and drugs are a problem, but we are working with our players accordingly I think these breaks from the game would be better understood by the public.

1 Like

It shouldn’t though as he has had depression before. Idiots on the internet are the problem, not the AFL AFLPA or Beams.

I don’t care that people are cynical, that’s their choice, I do care when they post ridiculous and unfair things about people that they know nothing about (that’s not an attack on you btw, just in general).

1 Like

I agree. However when the Beams gambling story first bubbled to the surface Robbo ran an article about the issue of gambling in the AFL which was torn to shreads by the AFLPA etc. That’s more my issue - the complete denial/head in the sand approach. This is made all the worse by the total saturation of gambling in footy.

1 Like

The rumour was that McGuire paid out his sizable gambling debt and that this contributed to him inexplicably turning about face on Brisbane just as they were coming good.

So I read that at the time as cap or draft cheating.

As soon as that Facebook post started to hit the main stream media heavily, all of a sudden Beams got an indefinite hip injury. I listened to Beams front the media about it and when asked “what is it that they are going to operate on and target” he said “I don’t really know actually”.

At the exact same time as the Beams thing went down, Buckley slagged off Malthouse and the press was all over the re-igniting feud.

Now Beams disappears all together.

Sus.

10 Likes

1 Like

If that was an intentional play from Buckley, than kudos to him. Shows how much he cares about his players that he’d be willing to put the blowtorch on himself.

I’m skeptical that it was, but if it were, well done to him.

Of course it isn’t true. Like the journo’s we bag, plenty on here make crap up all the time and make it sound plausible.

Nope, just a person.

3 Likes

It’s sad that when players take indefinite leave due to mental heath issues that people automatically think there’s an ulterior motive. Given the secrecy with which the AFL work under in terms of the illicit drug policy, etc, that cynicism to some degree is justified. What’s clear is that he’s had long-running issues which to me are genuine. I hope he can sort himself out.

5 Likes

Jesus let it go.