Season 2019 - Hawthorn

DIE

5 Likes

The chatter amongst player managers is that Hawthorn are no longer a destination club.

So, its go back to the draft and become irrelevent for 10 years I guess.

And then off to Launceston

BJ has spoken.

1 Like

Alastair Clarkson says trades are certainly on the table as Hawthorn embarks on long road back to top

David Davutovic , Herald Sun

July 4, 2019 12:08pm

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is considering going back to the trade table as he plots their return to the AFL summit.

While Grant Birchall is edging closer to a return, he urged people to reserve their judgment on Chad Wingard trade, which while saying they were being “ultra cautious” before bringing him back into the squad.

Hawthorn, currently 12th and eight points of the top eight, faces Collingwood at the MCG on Friday night, but Clarkson said they were playing the long game.

“We’ll do whatever we think will be best for our club. Things come up that’s like a bear jumping on your back.

“We didn’t anticipate in the last two years that Grant Birchall would play no footy and Cyril Rioli was going to retire at 28,’’ Clarkson said.

“We had no inkling this time last year that we’d be in the market for a Chad Wingard because we didn’t really need him while Cyril was at the club. (You ask) have we got someone like Cyril right now, someone emerging, someone in the draft. There’s not, so we go to the trade table.

“That’s the area of Graeme Wright and Mark MacKenzie, but we’re all on the same page. We’ll do what’s best for the club — sometimes that’s draft, sometimes that trade.

“We’ve got some hits and misses in that space, like all clubs.

TRADE HQ: ROUGHEAD OUT, PATTON IN AT HAWKS?

Alistair Clarkson says Hawthorn “we’ll do whatever we think will be best for our club”.

“We’ll continue to look at our list and our playing group. We’ve got eight games to go, where that takes us in terms of finals — it’s not about the short term goal for us, it’s about the big picture and the long game in terms of when we can next seriously compete for silverware.”

Clarkson said it was foolish to be making judgments on the Ryan Burton-Wingard trade.

“People say the Burton-Wingard thing wasn’t good for Hawthorn. It’s five minutes old. Come back to us in 2027 and let us know how it’s gone,’’ he said.

“I couldn’t even tell you who Port got for Shaun Burgoyne. People want a winner and a loser. Years ago Wayne Schwass and Shannon Grant swapped clubs — both clubs benefitted.

“It’s a 5-8 year plan rather than a five minute plan. Shaun Burgoyne, people forget in his first year forget that he didn’t play they first 10 rounds of that season.”

Favourite son Jarryd Roughead will not take on the Magpies on Friday night.

Jarryd Roughead was ruled out of the Collingwood clash, but may play for Box Hill this week as Clarkson warned about the rebounding Magpies.

“By their standards they were average last week, but the Kangas were outstanding,’’ Clarkson said.

“Expect a pretty fierce response from the Pies, they’re a proud club.

“But they’ve won 10 games, they’re in a good space — we’ve got a few more issues than they have.

“We were competitive with our effort last week, kicked poorly.

“Having won five and lost nine, we’ve got a percentage just under 100. We’ve been really competitive, just lacked polish and consistency.”

He didn’t know on July 4 2018 that Cyril Rioli had retired that day?
Was he not paying attention?

1 Like

Hawthorn are finished. Clarkson doesn’t have the stomach for a rebuild.

1 Like

Can hardly blame him, the previous one he did turned into (arguably) the greatest team in the modern era.

He really doesn’t need to prove he can do it, and he could walk into a better placed list and earn $1.5m a season tomorrow if he wanted to.

1 Like

You’d rather he stay and go through the rebuild at Hawks than end up at Blues

If the ■■■■ is cooked Malthouse style I would love for Carlton to sign him and for him to royally ■■■■ them over. FARK CARLTON!!!

1 Like

I want to see a “Mick Malthouse-style rebuild at Carlton” at Carlton, but with Alistair Clarkson there

2 Likes

Clarkson is 51. If he keeps on trading players, he will need to give up players under 30 who have currency. There would be 11 players over 30 at the start of next season and 9 of these played AFL this season. About 5 are cooked. Maybe 1 or 2 have any currency.
Basically the longer the tries to delay it, the longer Hawthorn will be mid to lower level team.

Does he really really want to destroy his reputation waiting until he is 61 for another flag?

Hawks have no currency to trade. The long epic meltdown appears to be coming.

I’d be trying to pick one of their players off like a Gunstan.

1 Like

Gunston is not currency?

1 Like

No I think he means no decent picks to trade out. But Gunston, Sicily, and Mitchell have currency, but are the nucleus of the team going forward.

Didn’t they finish top 4 last year and this year first year for a long time they may not make finals this year, and now its a disaster. Wow we are 15 years behind and going ok??

Their list demographic and trading history is a cancer eating them away.

Burgoyne
Gunstan
Gibson
Frawley
Hale
Omeara
Mitchell
McKevoy
Lake
Dew

I reckon they e done all right through trading personally.

1 Like

They won 4 flags. Now they will pay for them. If Essendon had the same success i would not complain at all.

12 Likes

We all said the same thing about geeong.
Nek
Minute…

3 Likes