Season 2019 - Melbourne

If McCartney never went to the bulldogs, we never would have drafted Zach Merrett…

1 Like

Yeah, but we would have had Campbell, Dickson and Redpath.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Whatever happened to Matty Egan? Didn’t he bail on us for a Dees pozzie?

1 Like

Melbourne deserves a coach like rocket eade.

MELBOURNE forward Tom McDonald will likely miss the rest of the season, having torn his meniscus during the side’s narrow victory over Carlton on Sunday.

Great pickup for the Dees with Darren Burgess being appointed head of strength and conditioning. Was really hoping we could lure him over

1 Like

They had one of worst injury lists of the year so def needed to do something on that front

Bugger.
That will help turn them around

How long is Goodwin contracted for?
You’d have to think if they don’t bounce straight back into finals next season then he’s gone

It’s amazing how many guys who build massive reputations as great development coaches turn out to suck donkey balls in the big seat.

McCartney at Geelong and Richardson at Collingwood, both had stints with us as assistants or line coaches when we desperately needed a good development coach, got gigs at other clubs and got the lemonade.

I’m amazed at how Macca constantly gets jobs. His communication skills are ■■■■■■■ deplorable.
He was a school teacher of mine for 5 years as well as school footy coach. Understand he’d have developed in this area over time but from the sounds of it he had big issues with the same thing at the Doggies.
A workmate close to some of the Dee’s players and a Dee’s member told me at Round #1 they moved Macca to the bench out of the coaches box for this reason and he’d be moved on by end of year.

1 Like

I went to the pre-season game at Kardinia Park and found myself standing next to McCartney for a short time. Someone, Geelong supporter, asked him what his role was at Melbourne to which he responded, “not much, sort of just make sure the players are organised”. I am paraphrasing, but that was the manner in which he answered. I was pretty surprised. I know he’s not going to reveal much, being employed by another team, but the tone of it, and him being at K- Park for a pre-season game, was weird. A bit like, ‘I’m just going through the motions until I can get back here’.

1 Like

Cough…Neeld … Cough

There was a great I think article (could’ve been an interview) from Mick Malthouse about Mark Neeld from about the time he was appointed. Absolutely raving about him, his tactical knowledge, his ideas, the work he’d done with development.

It’s such a huge, huge difference from being very good at one part of coaching, to being good at being a senior coach.

2 Likes

Dan Nicholson, who coaches the local club here, reckoned Neeld was a bell-end. He said Dean Bailey was easily the best coach he had at the Dees.

And who gives a flying ■■■■ about Mick Malthouse’s opinion? Not me, for starters.

2 Likes

Jordie Gysberts (had one huge game in his 2nd or 3rd game under Bailey, broke down and never got back in under Neeld) says similar.

That’s why it’s interesting that Malthouse was so, so, so effusive in his praise. Happy to be rid of him?

Malthouse is a contrarian…and too many people think his mouth only spouts wisdom. I think he’s a ■■■■.

I think also their style at developing youngsters who are eager to learn and improve- might not translate that well to senior pro’s who have been there and done that. Look at Warren Joyce at Melbourne. Came in with massive wraps at developing young talent but put all the experienced offside with his management style

AN10. You’re going to have stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think