Season 2020. Crash and burn, or win a final?

I’m making an emotional investment totalling zero emotions.

You could say that I’m divesting from E-sports. “E” meaning “Essendon” and “sports” meaning “sports played by Essendon”.

“Divesting” meaning “not giving a flying fark”.

Consider this my Nietzschean phase.

2 Likes

Yes, I concur.

1 Like

Last year’s.

You said you were “out” last year.
Why should anyone believe you this time?

I was, for a time.

From memory I don’t believe I watched the six games following that statement.

I watched the latter part of the season and gave a small number of farks, hopefully something similar happens this year.

I don’t understand how following the former #9 for Melbourne will help you.

4 Likes

Based on recent history 12 wins at basically 100%, finishing somewhere from 7th-11th. It’s not that hard to look at our best games and imagine a better season, but nor is it that hard to look at our worst games and imagine a worse season. So to summarise: no idea, probably the same as usual.

1 Like

How so? For the starting 22, you could say there was nothing done to make it more competitive except for the fringe players (as it always is, anyway), and depth is probably better but not by much. I’m not sure how the list is in a worse shape this year.

Devon Smith coming back fit will make the starting 22 better.

1 Like

It would also be good if Fantasia could also play a full season without serious injury. Which I don’t think he’s ever done.

1 Like

I think more players have gone backwards than are likely to have gone forwards. JD, Fanta, Hooker, Bellcho, Begley, Ridley, arguably Hurley, etc.
And if we think we need Townsend and Hibberd, my read is we don’t think many of them are going to turn it around that quickly.

We have a top 6 list. The talent is there. For mine it pretty much depends on 3 things

How we go with injuries

The mentality of the playing group

Just how much say Caracella and rutten are given in things. If worsfold is still the main man and the one making the decisions we are screwed and it will end up being another wasted season

4 Likes

Yes… same here. I just can’t reconcile my memory of this game to us suddenly becoming a top 4 to 6 side. And I’ve got some fears around our first quarter of the year given our existing injury list.
Would very much like to be proven wrong though!

Without considering the draw and assuming even injuries to all teams, I think the 6th, 7th and 8th spots will be between Brisbane, Bulldogs, us, Melbourne, Hawthorn or Port Adelaide.
Anywhere between 6th and 11th is about right.

Good run with injuries and we’re 5-8.

1 Like

Anything below 8 shut the club up and walk away.

6 Likes

It’s an excellent exercise in assessing likely performance with different glasses on.

We hold, or go up if…

Smith’s return impacts as expected
Injuries are less of an issue
We turn up at the start of the season for a change
Our ruck stocks are even remotely better than last year
The below 25s take the next step like Redman last year
Daniher and Stewart can get on the park
An inside midfielder of worth appears from the new list

We go down and maybe substantially down if…

There is any sulking
Catastrophes like the Bulldogs game reappear
No new avenue to goals is found in the front half

Who know!

My 5c

2 Likes

Did you miss the bit about where they want the EFC horizon to incorporate being the most successful club in the AFL on the field?

How do you get distressed when the plan revolves around being the most successful club on the field and to achieve it the club needs to be in the top 4 to make it happen.
That’s the ladder group where most flags are won.

Pity they can’t achieve top 4