Season 2020. Crash and burn, or win a final?

As if we’re going to listen to THAT bit of corporate mumbo jumbo.

Killer Mike is right in to it.
Passionate.

1 Like

I sincerely hope no one thought I was being serious.

As for 2020. I think we will finish 5th-8th, lose a final at the MCG to Collingwood in what will be JDs final game for the club.

The following year we will have moved to pick up a free agent key forward and I predict 2 finals wins from 5th and a prelim loss to West Coast in Perth. Hooker retires and Zerk-Thatcher emerges as a top shelf defender.

Two years for the price of one.

So you’re saying Joe will play another game for us?!

2 Likes

No but he probably could.

We have not had a decent coach since years, and if Clarko can get the maggots to pay us kicks (“Free kick, Hawthorn”-style) instead of stitching us up at every opportunity (Anzac Day style or Rampe King Kong Style), we would be at least top 4 for sure.

1 Like

We’re certain top 8 and winning a final for me.

Team chemistry
The top 25-30 hasn’t changed drastically. Majority of the team have now had a few preseasons together. Strengths and weaknesses are known to each other. On field communications should be coming quite naturally and we have some pretty good leaders across the ground especially behind the ball.
Experience
We have 10 players x100 games, 11x50 games, 4x40 games plus two best 22 Francis and Redman outside of that 25. We’ve finally got to a period where our team is experienced and has matured. There’s a handful of guys that I’d say are finally at that period where they know they belong have had a number of preseasons and ready to take that next step.
Injuries
Hopefully we can catch a break. Getting a fit Heppell, Smith, Fantasia and Daniher can seriously improve our output. If we can get some luck and have minimal injuries to our top caliber players that will go a long way.
Forward line
This is the biggest question mark and the area with the most improvement. Besides Walla no one has really been elite or even consistent for the past two years. Stringer hasn’t reached his potential with us, McKernan could be more dominant and injuries to Fantasia and Daniher have killed us. Those injuries hasn’t event resulted in us having a clear 6th forward option. Laverde or a small fwd has to cement their spot as the 6th forward, if not a contingency plan of a Smith, McGrath or Merrett to unselfishly hold down a flank/pocket.
I clearly remember going into 2017 and thinking we really need 200 goals between 6-7 players and I think it still holds true. We need 40-50 from one of Stringer, Fantasia or Walla while the other two have 25-30 each. A FF/CHF combo to kick 80 between them. Can Daniher kick 50? Can McKernan get beyond 30? Do we go with Hooker or even Bellchambers forward if Daniher’s unavailable?
Coaching changes
Rutten stepping up is hopefully a positive and not just the safest business decision to avoid controversy. Caracella seems like success follows him so looking forward to what he can bring. Getting the most of fringe players and ball movement are critical to our improvement and he seems to be able to bring that. I’m a bit worried about Harvey moving to the midfield but maybe he can bring something. Jordan is probably what I’m looking forward to the most and I think he can really galvanise the forward line.
Leadership
Heppell has total control of this group and if he can get out there at training he can lead us to the promise land. Using our failures as motivation I want to see hungriness to steamroll opponents and go for the kill. Not only have we endured 15 years of failure from our club I think there’s enough failure recently from a players perspective that with the growing maturity we’re ready to launch. Hopefully there is a take no prisoners attitude going into 2020 and beyond.

7 Likes

The difference between our best and worst is much too far apart to be considered a genuine premiership contender. If we can close that gap and bring a consistent effort every week then who knows, but as it stands right now it will be the usual few highlight wins to get everybody emotionally up and invested thinking we are onto something, and some shocking losses making us wonder why we continue to choose this life as an Essendon supporter.

1 Like

14th (but 1 game out of the 8). So not wonderful.
But this time next year we’ll be a lot more confident about the season ahead… I’m really looking forward to it strangely!

Get back to you after Rd 6.

For some reason the fact there is zero expectations this year gives me a bit more confidence. Essendon tend to do better when there are low expectations. Hoping its a Richmond going into the 2017 season type of situation, where most fans had given up any hope prior to the season starting and they finally delivered.

2 Likes

Want to care more, yet apathy is just peaking.

Won’t ever not want Efc to win matches, yet can’t firstly get emotionally invested these days or take the joke of a comp seriously.

It’s not a competition worthy of the interest levels and dollars it generates, and I would not complain if such continued to spiral downward.

5 Likes

It actually fits perfectly: Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed.

2 Likes

I would say 5th to 8th. Im a optimist.

I think JD will have little influence on our early season start.

We will start well Be in the top 4 around the middle of the season.
This place will be humming and building Caracella and Rutten up to the Weapon levels of hysteria. Giving Caracella nicknames like the mastermind, and Truck memes.

Then injurys will hit (probably our forwardline), but we will still be competitive and finish in the 8. JD and Hooker will win us a couple games of their own boot

And we will all be praying to the football gods to get through the final with a win and get the monkey off our back.

2 Likes

Essendon 2020 slogan :heavy_check_mark:

15 Likes

Has “Vision Statement” potential also.

6 Likes

I agree with this

I just watched the “highlights”

After 2.5 seasons of “learning” it appeared we have not learned how to give a stuff.
In days gone by, the leadership** would not have tolerated that and actually done something to try stop the Bulldogs, I mean start fights or lay some massive bumps, but to lie down and die while they kicked 21 straight What the actual???.

** coaches and on the field .

2 Likes

We might get to the position with Joe that we put him on ice like GWS did with Patton. We would want to ensure that Sydney offer him the biggest contract possible so we get the best compo

If I ever viewed Joey as a “messiah” , thats gone now. I am glad I got to see him at his best .
I am quite prepared for whatever happens, but its clear we need to find a way to kick goals without depending on him. Kicking long to packs at the top of the square will be a mugs game for us in 2020 .

1 Like