Season 2023 - Sydney

Good in the Grand Final too I thought

1 Like

Paddy McCartin going down has shown a real lack of depth in their Key Defensive stock.

The team they’ve listed this week it kind of looks like Francis may have to go back on Hogan or Himmelberg

Francis looked a bit lost as a forward last week, but did a couple of nice things late in the game when thrown down back.

He’s not going to get a better opportunity than this. If he can produce some good footy as a defender, there is likely a spot in the Sydney best 22 for him (replacing P. McCartin).

1 Like

Agreed

This is his big now or never moment for his career.

With the talk of Mitch McGovern possibly being pushed out of the blues due to salary cap, and Dane Rampe seemingly coming to the end the swans could be a good fit

After last minute “efforts” against Port & GWS both at the Paddington end, Callum Mills really needs to stay away from that goal square

This booing stuff is some whacked out sh¡t.

Tom Harley getting on radio and repeatedly describe it as “boorish behaviour” and that it lacks intellect.

Um hello?? Have you sat in the outer at the footy and seen some of the reptiles that go to games?

Do they honestly expect to have a crowd of 60-80k people muttering “tut tut laddie” under their breath?

And of course, despite the fact that players have been booed for decades, it suddenly gets spun to being about race when it happens to be a player of colour, rather than a bunch of hooligans booing a gun player to try to put them off or make life hard for them. Or in some cases it’s because of something they did in game to one of your players or it could be because they left your club on bad terms. The JHF stuff in non North games, yeah no idea there, that’s weird.

Look personally, I prefer to watch games a bit more analytically and focus on our own players rather than getting riled up about the opposition. I’m not a booer. Probably haven’t booed at a game since I was 7 or 8 years old. But gee people take things far too seriously these days. According to Harley, Franklin wasn’t even bothered by it.

And I would not be surprised if this does nothing but have the opposite effect. I dare say if the commentators, media and coaches didn’t make a big deal out of it then it probably fizzles out either next week or in the coming weeks.

Players should give a wry smile, embrace the theatre of it all and wear it as a badge of honour. Or if you’re brave enough and have a thick skin give it back to the crowd and rile them up even more. We’re an entertainment business and they are expecting people to become drones. Strange times.

8 Likes

I’m staggered that Sydney would publicly whinge about it. It’s just going to make other supporters do it when their team face Sydney now.

People saying that players shouldn’t be booed in their place of work is one of the weakest excuses I have ever heard

Game has gone soft

6 Likes

Haven’t seen it stated in the media but on twitter a Pies fan had noted Buddy was being booed for dropping elbow in on Murphy when he was on the ground

So a dirty cheap shot, which he has form on

Haven’t seen footage of such yet though.

If it is so, how it’s turned into a poor Buddy hard done by situation rather silly. And those that have made it into a racial thing turned it into much bigger issue than it should be.

1 Like

Yep. So now they (AFL) are trying to say stop booing of players, in particular “champions”.

I acknowledge buddy will go down as a great. But please, fans have a right to boo and cheer. They pay their money to attend games.

Buddy had an ordinary night and is well down on form. Fans booed Lloydy, Dunstall and co back in the day.

Stop trying to make it all racial.

1 Like

Are they taking a stand on this now for failing to properly stand up for goodes in the past?

1 Like

Yep. All the snowflake, wokety-woke types like your Andy Mahers, Whateley, RoCo, etc are like a pig in ■■■■ over all this. Who gives a ■■■■ if you get booed? I highly doubt there is a racial angle towards it, but I suppose if an Indigenous player gets booed it must be racist right? Now I don’t know if there was an in-game incident that raised the ire of Pies fans (have heard he may have hit Daicos off the ball but didn’t watch the entire game), but that’s been doing the rounds on social media so if that did occur then fair game IMO. And in any event, if they’re booing him to put him off his game or simply because they don’t like him, then WGAF? It’s somewhat hypocritical from Collingwood supporters who were whinging at Ginnivan being booed last year, but seriously people need to harden up.

5 Likes

Whilst I agree with your post (and a few further up), I think there is a bit more sensitivity around it because of the way the Goodes thing built up. It could have been stopped earlier, but it was let to run.
I have no problems raising awareness around booing for the right reasons (dirty acts). As long as people don’t jump into the ‘pack’ with their racist slant towards it.

I’m not sure what the context around this situation is. Hopefully it’s not similar to what Eddie Betts or JUH have gone through.

they are trying to make it racial cos that sells stories and clicks. it’s forcing a news cycle cos boo’ing cos you’re racist is gonna sell more than team boo him cos yet again he (potentially) gave yet another cheap shot that he will get away with cos of the tag “champion of the game”.

i’m no collingwood or ginnie fan, but were was the outrage from the same media when he was almost extensively trying to get boo’ed out of the game last year ? you know a 19 yr old kid getting boo’ed when sitting on the bench injured (um yeah who was that again, was it sydney supporters ? no they wouldn’t boo right ?)

as you say, lloyd esp in later years cos it worked, constantly got boo’ed the longer he took to have a shot at goal.

it’s happened across the game i’d hazard a guess ever since it’s inception. instead of trying to turn it into a racial thing and making a story out of it which does nothing but wave a red flag infront of a bull type deal, just stop talking about it, and it’ll no doubt die it’s natural death, instead of prolonging the issue just to sell cheap clicks.

2 Likes

Collingwood made it racial by apologising

There is a pies fan claim on twitter that buddy landed a cheap shot and hence booed for that. Did the players targeting daicos also get booed all game? I didn’t watch, but the focus on the buydy boos suggests not…?

1 Like

Im not sure how many times AFL clubs, the AFL and the AFL media can fail to read the room before people stop bothering with it…

People boo.

This is not an Adam Goodes situation.

Youve just given it more attention by rabbiting on about it.

Get over it.

2 Likes

Not sure I agree. It’s definitely lazy journalism but it’s the same teams fans booing another aboriginal legend of the game. The story writes itself.

I don’t believe it’s racial for the most part but I do believe Collingwood at its core fan base still have a significant issue with players of colour.

Yeah cool so when they were booing Papley they were doing it because they hate white people.

Buddy is a champion of the game. Our own supporter base have booed champions of the game. I don’t necessarily love it but to take it down this path is symptomatic of how jumpy everyone is and how overly serious everyone is taking themselves rather than embracing the theatre. If people are yelling out racist stuff or messaging individuals racist stuff yeah, absolutely, deal with them. But this, this is just garbage.

3 Likes

It is lazy. I just dont understand what justifications the clubs have for coming out and claiming it was racially charged? In my mind they have made that association, not the fans. This is all on them.

2 Likes

In 10 years time the AFL will probably have messages on the big screen: “YOU MAY NOW CLAP”

4 Likes

However, Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd also shared his opinion that there is still a place in the game for players to be booed.

“I think we have to be careful we’re not getting that soft as a society there is still room for it,” Lloyd said on Channel 9’s Footy Classified.

“If there’s any tone towards racism, I understand that, but there are champion players of the game I remember growing up with, Carey, Ablett Senior, and Lockett, we’re decades on from that, but if you want to try and get under the skin of somebody, when I used to turn up to Adelaide Oval or Footy Park, there has to be room for it.

“Some would be booing Lance because he’s a champion. Average players don’t get booed.”

Well said Lloydy. Glad he’s speaking his mind rather then following the sheep in the media espousing the belief that booing is bad, and by extension booing of an indigenous player is racist.

5 Likes