Season 2023 - Sydney

AFL will need to send out a confidential briefing to the umpiring department to give them a bigger boost than usual in coming weeks.

2 Likes

I’ll admit I hadn’t thought of it before seeing the P McCartin incident but as soon as I did I thought… why is he playing without a helmet? Surely with his history you just accept that he needs to take every precaution. Caleb Daniel plays in one every week.

If decisions are made with the consultation of independent neurologists (note: plural), and he’s given an all clear by them to continue playing, can the AFL legally stop him from playing?

McCartin was cleared by doctors to play. Sydney took him on good faith and moved him behind the footy as well.

It’s not up to them to contradict medical advice. But as soon as he looked like he had a concussion, they took him straight off.

your right he’s got issues that means he probably shouldn’t play anymore, but I was a huge fan on giving him another go if doctors said it was fine.

1 Like

Helmets make no real difference. In fact there is studies that say they make it worse.

3 Likes

They are best at preventing head wounds

1 Like

This must be the end of his career.
ANNOUNCE!

how tf is sam reid still on their list?

2 Likes

For a team so often praised for their recruiting and list management he is the exception.

I’m just glad he never ended up on our list.

Actually reckon it is up to the AFL who plays or not. It will not be long before they will rule that if you have say three or four concussion injuries that you can no longer play.

swans probably still paying him due to taking a pay cut to get buddy in ten years ago.
They had tippett on the list 2 years after he retired to spread out his match payments for salary cap.

Yeah your right and im sure all the legal framework will be put in for something like that.

But right now it would probably be something like a restraint of trade if they are passed medically fit.(unless the afl/club pay out the contract or basically pay to not play) as much as they must have a week off when concussed.(assume players still get paid…not sure what happens with match payments, trigger clauses etc etc)

You would think medica advice would still dictate what goes on. That includes not playing as much as playing.

In the past in these type of matters, they ask you to sign a waver so that you take all responsibility personally, but that does not fly any longer. As well as being unethical, the ground manager (or their insurer) is still responsible even if there are wavers in place.

When we had the last big drought in Victoria about 12 or so years ago, our Shire did ground inspections every Saturday during footy season to check ground hardness. Matches were abandoned or moved because of it, but our legal advice was also that we should stop anyone using the ground at all as we had a duty of care. When Councillors were told that we could be also found to be personally responsible, it was unanimous to close the gates.

3 Likes

I know many people discredit Dr Peter Larkins for some reason, but apparently he was at a brain injury/concussion conference in Europe as an observer late last year.
Don’t shoot the messenger, or believe that its the last word on this but the current thinking is apparently that repeated concussions seem to increase the brains sensitivity to them, and gradually even a mild impact can cause serious symptoms . That appears to be what happened to Mc Cartin, He could hardly coordinate his legs as they helped him to the bench.

I had 2? serious concussions in my life. Some guy hit me on the head with a bottle. But which impact did the damage, the bottle or my head hitting the ground, because I was out like a light after the first hit. Immediately afterwards, I did not even know my own name. But a day or 2 later I was fine, no long term effects

5 Likes

He’s no Brendan Major.

2 Likes

I think this was the conference Larkins went to. But its a crowded field, with many conferences going on.

October 27 — 29, 2022: # 6th International Consensus Conference on Concussion in Sport,
Amsterdam, the Netherlands,

“defensive options missing from Sydney’s 22, with former Bomber Aaron Francis injured at training last week”

An awesome trade by the bombers. Glad he’s doing well elsewhere.

They have no backline options whatsoever this week…

Braeden Campbell, Robbie Fox, Harry Cunningham
Oliver Florent, Jake Lloyd, Nick Blakey

Lucky for them, it’s looking like wet weather footy and Richmond don’t have talls to expose them.

You must of missed his performances last year. Reid was critically important for Sydney’s team balance, so much so that they rushed him back into the GF side despite him not being fit. 2022 was his best season in a decade.

1 Like

Was very important to their finals run last year.