3. Hugh McCluggage
  4. Josh Dunkley
    =5. Brandon Starcevich
    =5. Cam Rayner

2023 Rising Star Noms

Wil Ashcroft (Rnd 2)
Darcy Wilmott (Rnd 14)
Jaspa Fletcher (Rnd 19)

Ins – Tom Doedee, Luke Lloyd, Logan Morris, Bruce Reville, Brandon Ryan, Reece Torrent, Zane Zakostelsky

Outs – Marcus Adams, Nakia Cockatoo, Blake Coleman, Tom Fullarton, Jack Gunston, The Barometer, Daniel Rich, Darryl McDowell-White Jnr

My Prediction

The Lions were so cose to having a grateful nation behind them last year but they couldn’t stop the Pies on that fateful day. They timed their run and had everything they needed to give it a red hot go. I am not sure their list is weaker this year and they have a little more experience. They should be able to load up and go again,

The backline looked good last year and they add Doedee (although not til mid season) and he will give them another intercepting option. Losing Adams looked bad last year but they found a good one in Payne and Harris got a good run reminding everyone why he was the prototype. Starcvich and Lester are good defenders and they get run from McKenna and maybe the best disposal off half back with Coleman.

The Jaspa Fletcher story probably flew under the radar due to Ashcroft but he came along very nicely last year. I would think he sees more midfield minutes alongside Berry and the out of contract McCluggage. Dunkley and Neale right in the guts are a very good twosome and win a lot of ball. Then you have Zorko and Rayner who are both capable and will get stints through the middle from the forward line.

The forward line has multiple options but didn’t seem to gel as often as they would like. Joe is coming off a couple of very good years and if his highly rated stable pony, Hipwood would live up to his potential then they would be on to something. I felt like Cameron didn’t have his usual impact although they still have Bailey, Zorko, Rayner and McCarthy as multiple options to goal.

McInerny is an ok ruck. He is hard to get excited about. With the midfield they have, being an ok ruck is enough. If he can break even often enough he gives them a chance. The coach has a good record but I could coach this team to 16 wins. He needs a premiership to justify his existence in the AFL coaching landscape.

I like the Lions list, it is well shaped and has youth and experience, they have top end talent on every line. I don’t see a world where they tumble but I do see world where they come back hungrier and angrier and win the lot. I think they would be my favourites this year. Will finish top 2.

2 Likes

Is it 4 years of top 4 now with nothing to show for it?
Eventually that sort of record breaks teams. Will that happen to Brisbane this year or can they back it up again?

3 Likes

My flag fave. Strong on all lines and no doubt hungry to go one better on last year.

The best list, well coached and will get plenty of home ground advantage from the Gabba.

Very unlucky last year. Despite that, I’m not sure they’ll be able to go one better. They timed their best footy for finals - what’s the chance of doing that twice in a row? With another young player taking a step up to the next level, maybe they can do it, but I’m sceptical.

2nd-4th

1 Like

Top 3 for mine with Collingwood and GWS.

Toss of a coin between them (well, multiple tosses I guess) as to who wins it all I reckon.

Highly unlikely as it is, I’d love to see these turds crash and burn.

5 Likes

Best 23 per Footy hanger

FB: Tom Doedee, Jack Payne, Darcy Wilmot
HB: Keidean Coleman, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich
C: Hugh McCluggage, Will Ashcroft, Deven Robertson
HF: Cam Rayner, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey
FF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy
FO: Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley
I/C: Jarrod Berry, Jaspa Fletcher, Dayne Zorko, Conor McKenna
SUB: Callum Ahe Chee

Also in the mix: Brandon Ryan, Darcy Gardiner, Ryan Lester, Kai Lohmann, Darcy Fort, Jaxon Prior, James Tunstill

Less Depth this year with Rich and Gunston gone. Will gain Doedee mid year as a free hit which should help cover any injuries at the time.

Backline looks good.
Midfield looks good,
Forwardline looks good, balanced 2 stars Cameron and Daniher
Rucks are average

On balance they should be top 4 again unless the wheels fall off, they have a good mix of youth and experience. And there’s really only Zorko who will likely finish up this year.

Prediction : 1-4 Like last year, just look like they will be in the mix again. Could actually go one step further, with greater experience and hunger.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I like the confidence that they are not playing a final there.

1 Like

Brissy have all the ingredients they need to win the flag this year. Whether or not they can achieve the ultimate goal will depend largely on how Hipwood performs. He went missing in the GF, but if he fires he can be the difference this season. The other player who had a shocked in the GF was Berry, but he is a solid contributor and l expect him to bounce back strongly.

Everything you hear from him and the club is that he’s going to be back far sooner than that. They reckon he’s on track to return about the round 3 mark.

That is absolutely horrible for him, geez.

We’re not privy to any information obviously but purely from the outside it looked as though they were kind of fast tracking his return too. Given that he tore it in June last year and was about to return in late March.

1 Like

incredibly sad . they did a story here on the news on him last night pumping up for selection this week .he was saying how.glad he was to get through his first reserves game last week

“What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”

What happened? I’m not listening to that twerps voice

Can someone take one for the team and take a listen

4 Likes

Is inferred (not on 3AW but elsewhere) that a group of Brissy boys had some fun with some Las Vegas ladies of the night and stuff posted in a “private” Whats App group ended up being read by the players partners

4 Likes

he got though his first VFL game last week.

i just assumed mid year return as most are closer to 12 months from injury.
also being his second would imagine they would be conservative

The rumours floating around is that Neale mentioned it to the partners, and Andrews partner passed on photos etc to the other wives/girlfriends.