1 – Caleb Serong
2 – Andrew Brayshaw
3 – Luke Ryan
4 – Luke Jackson
5 – Hayden Young

2023 Rising Star Noms

Jye Amiss (Rnd 11)
Matthew Johnson (Rnd 23)

Ins – Jack Delean, Odin Jones, Oscar McDonald, Ollie Murphy, Cooper Simpson, Jeremy Sharp

Outs – Eric Benning, Travis Colyer, Joel Hamling, Liam Henry, Lachie Schultz, Nathan Wilson

My Prediction

This year’s coach in the gun is the wunderkind of two years ago. The media spent 2022 talking him up and how great he was before he achieved anything. Even last year they made excuses for the under performance, but you have to believe they will be coming for him this year when the inevitable rough performances come. They have lost depth from their list which was already pretty thin.

The backline was the 2nd best performed in the competition two years and was 11th last year. They had some injury issues but mostly they suffered from poor structure and lack of support from their midfield. Cox and Pearce are a good 1-2 punch, their smalls seem predictable with Chapman, Ryan and Clark. There is not a lot of set up coming from back there.

The midfield is elite at the top end, Brayshaw and Serong are very good players. It gets thin after that. O’Meara was very good in patches last year and then you have Will Brodie who looked like the all time bargain recruit the year before but turned back into a potato last year. The rest of the midfield lack consistency and impact leaving the job to too few too often.

The forward line is not their greatest concern. Fyfe takes a great mark (unfortunately has a set shot that rivals Ty Zantuck). Amiss looks a great recruit and his impact last year probably should have seen him win the Rising Star. Luke Jackson found his way as the year went on and started to justify the stupid price they paid for him. Small forwards look like being Walters (who must be 40 this year) and Frederick who is great fun to watch. There is a the making of a very good forward line there but again depth does not exist.

The rucks are as good as anyone in the competition. Darcy and Jackson give them solid tap work and both are capable of making an impact up forward. The coach is a concern, after coming on strong, he has lost players to the eastern states and now leads a team with minimal depth and probably in need of a rebuild but the pressure for success will not allow it.

This feels like the same Freo we have know for all but a couple of years around the Ross Lyon period. They are soft front runners who rarely pressure their opposition at a high enough level. I don’t want to suggest there are built in their coaches image but… I remember him as a player. I think they arer a chance to drop even further this year. 14-17 for mine.

7 Likes

I know another club that has similar attributes.

6 Likes

Longmuir won’t last the year.

Zero hanger best 23

FB: Luke Ryan, Alex Pearce, Heath Chapman
HB: Brandon Walker, Brennan Cox, Jordan Clark
C: Matthew Johnson, Hayden Young, Michael Frederick
HF: Sam Switkowski, Luke Jackson, Nat Fyfe
FF: Matt Taberner, Jye Amiss, Michael Walters
FO: Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Caleb Serong
I/C: Jaeger O’Meara, James Aish, Ethan Hughes, Neil Erasmus
SUB: Nathan O’Driscoll

Also in the mix: Josh Treacy, Jeremy Sharp, Sam Sturt, Corey Wagner, Will Brodie, Tom Emmett, Bailey Banfield

Every AFL team’s best 23 for the 2024 season: Fremantle Dockers - AFL News - Zero Hanger - Page 4

freo: - we beat them last year, and srprised they finished below us.

like some of their young talent - Brayshaw, Serong, Clark, Jackosn, Erasmus, Amiss etc
Still relying on Walters for small forwad duties and Fyfe to an extent.

O’Meara felt was cooked at hawks and has been servceable, but maybe they were better off with Brodie in the 22.

Defenders - solid back 6.
Midfield has some talent but developing
forwards: jackson and Walters need to carry the load.
rucks - Strong Darcy and jackson

feel like it will be a developing year.
maybe they overshot making finals and was on the back of Mundy brilliance.

prediction : 9-15th

Gives me massive Ben Rutten vibes, mainly because he’s got zero charisma and is as boring as batshit in the media. It’s amazing how many players that want out of this club year upon year. Again lose 2 fairly important senior players (Schultz and Henry), no massive ins. Balance of probabilities is they’ll hang around where they were last season. Be tough to beat at home, probably struggle away, finish between 7th-12th. If they miss the 8 again Longmuir is in trouble.

2 Likes

They keep losing two Best 22 players every year under Longmuir - previous year it was Lobb and Acres.

Something is clearly wrong with the coach/culture there.

2 Likes

Exactly this, plus his brand of football is ■■■■■■■ horrendous

For me it is simple. Freo lack 2 things.

1. Depth, all over the ground, except for the ruck.
  2. Relevance, they will always be that other WA team. That won’t change until they win a few flags, if ever.
1 Like

Look out for Voss in the Essendon jumper.

3 Likes

Move Jackson into the ruck and bring in VOSS for debut

1 Like

It probably will happen.
Will be really REALLY sad the week Voss plays (kicks a couple) and we cop an injury and Weed does his usual sub 10 touch 2 behind game…

1 Like

one year… a glowing endorsement. he is goneski

Clearly he’s a placeholder for someone else they have their eye on who might be out of contract at the end of 2025. Don’t know current coach contract statues but they probably have seen the landscape and are having an each-way bet. Either a) Freo comes good in 2024-25 and they retain him or b) they continue to tread water and he’s gone.

There was talk they wouldve gone after Bevo . Wnder if Chris Scott walked early before Geelong begin rebuilding, he was assistant there under Harvs

1 Like

Bevo has been talked about. I reckon Hinkley a decent chance too, likely won’t stay at Port past 2025…

Yze only got 2 years?

I thought I was in the VOSS thread for a moment, and was confused.

Even VOSS can’t drag this team to “good”.