Top 5 Best and Fairest

1 – Tom Stewart
2 – Tom Atkins
3 – Gryan Miers
4 – Zach Guthrie
5 – Jeremy Cameron

2023 Rising Star Noms

Nil

Ins – Mitchell Edwards, Joe Furphy, Lawson Humphries, Emerson Jeka, Shaun Mannagh, Connor O’Sullivan, George Stevens, Oliver Wiltshire

Outs – Jonathon Ceglar, Flynn Kroeger, Sam Menegola, Esava Ratugolea, Osca Riccardi, Sam Simpson, Isaac Smith, Cooper Whyte

My Prediction

After their premiership, everyone thought it was the start of a dynasty. They traded well and brought in young talent and hit the draft. Then the wheels fell off. Their senior players lost some of their intensity and quicker than you could say premiership hangover, they dropped out of the eight and missed the finals.

Their backline reads really nice on paper. De Koning and Stewart are a handy couple of pillars to set your defence around. They will miss Esava from a depth perspective although he has a much bigger reputation than he has even had in production. Zac Guthrie had a career best year last year down back and Bews was handy. It really will come down to injuries and if their depth gets tested.

The midfield looks shallow and weak. Holmes is another one who needs a season to match his reputation, Cam Guthrie was average last year, Dangerfield looks to be flirting with being cooked, (currently medium to well done but a little longer and he will be done). Mitch Duncan needs to step up this year as well. It isn’t the midfield it once was and they need young talent to step up.

The forward line is great, Hawkins never ages and they missed Cameron who struggled with his body last season. Stengle wasn’t the same standard as their premiership year but the talent is still there. Miers became more of a facilitator last year and performed well in that role, Close brings some toughness and Ollie Henry gave a little bit.

Rhys Stanley is one of the worst first choice rucks in the AFL. He won a premiership though which makes you wonder just how important a quality ruck is. The coach has proven his worth, he will be frustrated that he couldn’t turn it around last year and it will be interesting to see what they bring this year.

I don’t want to write Geelong off. I think they may have another surge in them, they look weak in the middle but both ends of the field look strong. I don’t think they are a contender this year but I think they can challenge for finals. I expect them to finish in the 6-9 range.

1 Like

A bit harsh given that he only played six games all year due to injury.

4 Likes

They’ll be raring to go knowing who theyve got to play in the pre season

Fkn dad army hicks

3 Likes

I can’t wait until McKay sends Hawkins into a mid season retirement !

1 Like

Outside the 8 but will still flog us by 70 points

1 Like

The same culprits in Hawkins and Dangerfield who destroy us every time and we continue to let it happen.

Hopefully they both retire this season and then we might be a chance of beating them.

1 Like

Fair assessment AB

I feel though that this may just be the year that they taper off as some of their stars will be in their last year.

Injuries will obviously play a big part with where they finish on the ladder.

8-11 for mine

1 Like

4 Likes

And injure Jayden laverde in the process

Just ■■■■ off Geelong

Simultaneously the most overrated and important position on the ground.
Overrated in that chasing a #1 ruck with big coin is an insane thing to do, yet without someone that can break even you’ll get pantsed (especially with the 6-6-6 rule).

1 Like

When they close the books on the 21st century Geelong will be most remembered for being the club that traded away Nate Caddy for a packet of twisties.

1 Like

Was surprised they passed on Caddy with Cameron not having much left and Hawkins most likely gone after this year drafting Caddy would have made a good replacement hope it back fires on them big time.

1 Like

I have learnt for many years in my 50 year spins, NEVER right off Geelong…But yeah ■■■■ em

1 Like

He was a big out for them. A news report says Stewart is being touted as a midfielder this coming season, to partner Dangermouse and lighten the load on him.

1 Like

I cant see Stewart playing midfield.

Gee i hope we get the win in the preseason, been cats bunnies for over a decade.

Cats best 23 from Zero hangar

FB: Tom Stewart, Sam De Koning, Jake Kolodjashnij
HB: Jed Bews, Jack Henry, Zach Guthrie
C: Max Holmes, Patrick Dangerfield, Cameron Guthrie
HF: Gryan Miers, Jeremy Cameron, Gary Rohan
FF: Tyson Stengle, Tom Hawkins, Brad Close
FO: Rhys Stanley, Tom Atkins, Mark Blicavs
I/C: Mitch Duncan, Ollie Henry, Tanner Bruhn, Jack Bowes
SUB: Shaun Mannagh

Also in the mix: Mark O’Connor, Zach Tuohy, Toby Conway, Connor O’Sullivan, Jhye Clark, Brandan Parfitt, Mitch Knevitt, Oliver Dempsey, Shannon Neale

Prediction 5-14th

Cats could finish bottom
end of the 8 or wheels
fall off and they will be after another high draft pick.

I just think them bucking the system is catching up to them.

They’ve done really well using this strategy for 20 plus years but its finally catching up to them they need top end talent and only way to get that is by spending some time near the bottom of the ladder.

They also won’t be blessed with F/S like the previous generation.

They are full of top end talent and possibly the best AFL culture club

A lot of their young talent they drafted are picks in the 20’s and beyond