Sheeds - an absolute legend

Kevin Sheedy could return to Essendon next season alongside James Hird

Mark Robinson Herald Sun

KEVIN Sheedy has been sounded out about returning to Essendon, placing further pressure on Mark Thompson remaining at the club.

The Bombers are also close to finalising a deal with Mark Harvey who would replace Simon Goodwin as a senior assistant coach.

The Sheedy/Harvey package would further shore up James Hird’s position as senior coach despite him being on the cusp of being sacked a week ago.

The Sheedy chase appears to be a winnable one for the Bombers. Sheedy is currently a board member and a paid ambassador at Greater Western Sydney and would need to resign those positions before accepting any role with Essendon.

The Herald Sun has learned key people at Essendon have asked Sheedy to consider an ambassadorial and football role as part of the club rebuilding its standing.

The offer is the second to Sheedy from the embattled Bombers inside 12 months.

Last year the four-time premiership coach met acting chief executive Ray Gunston who offered Sheedy a role which did not allow him access to the football department, a role Sheedy felt insulted by and ultimately rejected. This new role would not place such restrictions.

Essendon chairman Paul Little was keen on Sheedy returning last year and is understood to support this latest push. He did not return calls yesterday.

Thompson remains at the crossroads.

Gold Coast has not listed Thompson as a candidate to replace Guy McKenna, who was sacked two weeks ago.

The former Geelong coach, who was caretaker coach at the Bombers during Hird’s 12-month ban, and who received a standing ovation at the club‘s recent best and fairest count, may not be at any football club next year.

Thompson’s declaration at the B&F two weeks ago that he would find it difficult to walk away from the top role, which effectively had him vying for Hird’s job, has put him at odds with the coach.

It’s believed Hird and Thompson have not spoken since Thompson left for the United States and Mexico a day after the best and fairest count.

Little said at the count he expected Thompson to remain at the club.

“Bomber has endeared himself to the football public and played a pivotal role in the development of our team for the future,’’ Little said. ''We hope to be in a position to announce exciting details about Bomber‘s future role in the next few days.”

The probable appointment of premiership-hero Harvey, who first met with Essendon people on the weekend of Round 23 about a role next season, also has the support of Little.

Kevin Sheedy has been sounded out for an official role at Essendon next season. Source: News Limited

Originally published as Sheedy poised for Bombers return

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/kevin-sheedy-could-return-to-essendon-next-season-alongside-james-hird/story-fndv8gad-1227089337560

1 Like

YES!  DO IT!!!

■■■■■■ brilliant idea.  Best ambassador the club could possibly have.  Exactly what we need to rebut the media's propaganda against us.

With all the astounding PR gaffes the club has made, the smartest thing the club could do is bring back Sheeds.

He would have had all this sorted out by now.

And he IS a legend - not just of our club but of Australian football. 

BRING HIM IN

Saw some comments under the coaches thread after I posted- sorry if this is doubling up mods… Feel free to fix if needed.

As an ambassador for the club- I believe this would guarantee we hit the 60,000 member mark, but importantly- give the opportunity for the club to be represented by someone not linked to the saga and linked to happier times for our club. That and Sheeds has been one of the leagues best ambassadors for a few decades now. A massive win for me if we can get him.

With all the astounding PR gaffes the club has made, the smartest thing the club could do is bring back Sheeds.

Perfectly put Albert!

Perfectly put Albert!

Agree.

If we get to see Sheeds back in the mighty red and black I confess I might just shed a tear or two.

Make it happen! Would really love Sheeds back at Essendon!

Sheeds. Stay well well weeeeeelllll away from this club until its all died down.

Do not come back now.

But by all means come back!

Sheeds is Essendon and we will need him to rebuild once the guillotine has fallen.

Sheeds and Harvey. Back to the Future.

Men on a mission.  Stand back......

Nah dog

572395-kevin-sheedy.jpg

Now getting Gwilt makes sense.

Sheeds is past coaching now,  just like Barassi,  Pagan, Parkin  et al.  

But Sheeds  is an Essendon hero, legend and clearly a very good media performer.   These days,  he gets "Ambassador " jobs .  This says something. He is potentially an an advocate for us,  a plain speaking person who is respected everywhere for his good sense and admired for that slightly wicked personality that makes him unique. 

We all love Sheeds and as long as he is still up to it,  I am sure a role could be found for him.

Sheeds. Stay well well weeeeeelllll away from this club until its all died down.

Do not come back now.

Sheeds is Essendon and we will need him to rebuild once the guillotine has fallen.

hed be good if say WE WERE GETTING A HEAP OF **** FROM THE MEDIA.

otherwise you're right. pointless

Do not come back now.

I hear you to some respect- but the fact is that Tim watson is the only person who has spoken as an essendon person positively about the club whilst Carrying respect in the eyes of the public IMHO. However, he works in the media.
So there has not been one voice from essendon that carries any weight for mine... Sheeds could be that voice through the final stages...

The perfect man to feed the "seagulls"

Do not come back now.

hed be good if say WE WHERE GETTING A HEAP OF **** FROM THE MEDIA.

otherwise you're right. pointless

Rebuilding the brand would probably take years and Sheeds would be an invaluable asset.  There is no-one in the AFL better qualified to do that.  No-one.

Considering Gwilt and apparently Cooney, I’d say he is back already