Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Nick Walsh. That's a beauty Miccles!

Steve Copping's career wasn't long enough either.

2 Likes

Ty Zantuck - still makes me shudder that:
1. we would recruit him, and
2. he played 9 games including 8 in a row for us in 2005.
Simply horrible.

Stewart Crameri!

Neale Daniher Fantastic player, better than Terry and he was a champion. We never really got to see the best of Neale. Too many injuries far too soon. And now really sick. 

3 Likes

Neale Daniher Fantastic player, better than Terry and he was a champion. We never really got to see the best of Neale. Too many injuries far too soon. And now really sick. 

Spot on Scorpio.  Imagine if Daniher (and Coleman for that matter) had access to the level of reconstructive surgery available today. 

2 Likes

Spot on Scorpio.  Imagine if Daniher (and Coleman for that matter) had access to the level of reconstructive surgery available today.

I still say that Neale Daniher is the best Essendon player I have seen. It was a tragedy that he missed playing in 84 and 85. Who knows how much more success we would have enjoyed if he had been able to take his place as captain of our great club.
2 Likes

Who was the guy who debuted against North Melbourne at Arden St back in the Glendinning/Greig era and bagged 4 or 5 goals in his first quarter, then got no more goals for the game .... then drifted into obscurity?

That would be David Burke. In 1980 he kicked 5 vs NM in his first game and only played two more games for one goal. Career over, 3 games and 6 goals.

Was a fan of Wayne Otway in the early 80s. A rover, he kicked 5 on debut in 1982, but pulled the pin either during or at the end of '83 and went back home to WA. Probably good enough to have played in the 84-85 flags.

1 Like

S Milne showed glimpses in London

Somewhat provincial but "Mugavin will help us win!".

No he didn't.

DA-MI-AN

CUPIDO

DA-MI-AN

CUPIDO

1 Like

I like to remember those who were top class but had bad luck, rather than those others (like Kyle Reimers) who dropped out for other reasons.

In recent years Rioli is a standout in this category, an absolute gamebreaker who barely made 100 games because of injury, which at least was more than Neale Daniher before him. If you want nostalgia you can add Bobby Greenwood (thank you Mr Noonan) who totalled 62 games from 1967, and Geoff Blethyn, who was amazing during that era. Both had leg injuries of course.

Tell you what - who remembers John Ellis? One great season (his second) as a centreman, a leg injury, and never the same again.

A Courtney Johns / Scott Gumbleton forward pairing.

DA-MI-AN
CUPIDO
DA-MI-AN
CUPIDO

I don't think we saw the full potential of the guy in your pic Stallion.  Mark Mercuri was a Rolls-Royce.  He had all the skills, coupled with time and vision few others possessed.  Runner-up in the Brownlow in '99......The club signed him on a 4 or 5 yr deal, but a tragedy in the family took away his drive and passion for the game, and he retired way too soon - right at the time he should have been mesmerising us.

Who was the guy who debuted against North Melbourne at Arden St back in the Glendinning/Greig era and bagged 4 or 5 goals in his first quarter, then got no more goals for the game .... then drifted into obscurity?

That would be David Burke. In 1980 he kicked 5 vs NM in his first game and only played two more games for one goal. Career over, 3 games and 6 goals.
That's him!! I was at that game, standing in the outer with my dad. Five goals in his first quarter of footy - we thought we were witnessing the next Coleman. Truly bizarre.

Was mentioned before but Graeme Moss was a champion.

Only at Essendon for three years for one Brownlow and three best and fairest. Not a bad effort! A stand out player in an ordinary team.

He was fantastic to watch and as a ruckman just controlled the game and moved so well around the ground.

Apparently his wife wanted to go home to WA and that was that.

1 Like

The real messiah- Courtney Johns!

Didn’t Johns kick 20 goals in half a vfl game in 2003.

Dean Rioli. Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. He could read the game beautifully.

I heard it was in the first 10 minutes. God like skills.