Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Muscles Marigliani.

Jarrod (?) Atkinson and Joel Reynolds came to mind straight away seeing the title, no idea why.

Who was the guy who debuted against North Melbourne at Arden St back in the Glendinning/Greig era and bagged 4 or 5 goals in his first quarter, then got no more goals for the game .... then drifted into obscurity?

That would be David Burke. In 1980 he kicked 5 vs NM in his first game and only played two more games for one goal. Career over, 3 games and 6 goals.
That's him!! I was at that game, standing in the outer with my dad. Five goals in his first quarter of footy - we thought we were witnessing the next Coleman. Truly bizarre.
Same here, dad and I stood in the pocket near where the gasometer stood every time we went to Arden Street. He looked good that game and then before you knew it his career was over. Two other debutants that year were Peter Light and Greg Flanagan.

Jarrod (?) Atkinson and Joel Reynolds came to mind straight away seeing the title, no idea why.

I always thought Joel Reynolds showed something, bad run with injuries and didn't cut it, thought if he got a few breaks he might have made it.

I always thought Joel Reynolds showed something, bad run with injuries and didn't cut it, thought if he got a few breaks he might have made it.

On your own there I think Jimmy. At no point did I think Reynolds could make it, excepting Sheedy being pig-headed. Good bloke though, and a good Bomber.

I came in a little late, and can agree with many of the posts already.

But what about this one?

Brian Brown.

If he had only played another 98 games for us, we could have had his son Jonathan as our CHF for the last decade, And could have won the 2001 GF.

On your own there I think Jimmy. At no point did I think Reynolds could make it, excepting Sheedy being pig-headed. Good bloke though, and a good Bomber.

Yep.

I reckon he never recovered from the rousy M Voss gave him on debut.

That was a vicious tackle.

Alwyn Davey must be one of the shortest in my time of watching. was Willie ■■■■ Shorter perhaps?

But what about this one?
Brian Brown.
If he had only played another 98 games for us, we could have had his son Jonathan as our CHF for the last decade, And could have won the 2001 GF.

When Jonathan Brown got picked up by Brisbane the father/son qualification was at 50 games (Brian Brown played 53 for Fitzroy) so he only needed another 48 for EFC.

I thought Marc Bullen was going to be a really good player, I loved Paul Hills and was a fan of Tony Delaney.  I think we perhaps pulled the trigger a bit too soon on Ben Jolley too.  One of my earliest favourite players was Tony Buhagiar (sp?). 

EDIT: We missed the best of Mark Alvey he would have been an Essendon player the year before he eventually did make it, but the fax machine didn't work.  He is a mate of my younger brother and I believe Alvey broke his leg in the last year or two back playing for the local club he started out at before he became an AFL footballer (Wentworth).   I umpired his first senior game of local footy, he was 16.  His first kick was from outside 50 and he got bumped as he kicked it, it landed in the goalsquare and bounced through for a goal.

Dustin Fletcher

J. Neagle… I just kept on hoping he could turn it around…

Barry Capuano

The guy who got the wrong end of the stick from Sheedy was definitely Paul Thomas in 2005. Played some cracking games but for some reason wasn’t a favorite with Sheeds.

2 Likes

Agreed.

But what about this one?
Brian Brown.

When Jonathan Brown got picked up by Brisbane the father/son qualification was at 50 games (Brian Brown played 53 for Fitzroy) so he only needed another 48 for EFC.

Even worse, then.

Richard Cole... what a waste of time.....

you can thank caros mole for that one.

(and thats mole not moll before i get banned again)

Richard Cole... what a waste of time.....

you can thank caros mole for that one.

(and thats mole not moll before i get banned again)

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Albert_Thurgood/media/Molls2.jpg.html]Molls2.jpg[/URL]

Terry Cahill
Bob Greenwood
Neale Daniher
Graeme Moss
Wayne Beddison
Rama

All had supreme talent

Bob greenwood was super talented , was doing bananas etc way back then