Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Sam Hunt

1 Like

Jarrod (?) Atkinson and Joel Reynolds came to mind straight away seeing the title, no idea why.

I always thought Joel Reynolds showed something, bad run with injuries and didn't cut it, thought if he got a few breaks he might have made it.

On your own there I think Jimmy. At no point did I think Reynolds could make it, excepting Sheedy being pig-headed. Good bloke though, and a good Bomber.

Like you Caliban l thought Reynolds the younger never showed any real promise. 

Teddy

larry Watson & paul thomas

Cupes, hands mother ■■■■■■■ down

There's a lot of guys mentioned here that I thought got a lot more games than they really warranted.

I like to remember those who were top class but had bad luck, rather than those others (like Kyle Reimers) who dropped out for other reasons.

In recent years Rioli is a standout in this category, an absolute gamebreaker who barely made 100 games because of injury, which at least was more than Neale Daniher before him. If you want nostalgia you can add Bobby Greenwood (thank you Mr Noonan) who totalled 62 games from 1967, and Geoff Blethyn, who was amazing during that era. Both had leg injuries of course.

Tell you what - who remembers John Ellis? One great season (his second) as a centreman, a leg injury, and never the same again.

John Ellis was one I meant to mention. Started in the magoos at 15 IIRC, had a good 1968 (very clever but slowish centreman), then in Round 1 1969, Roger Dean stood on his knee and ground his boot...career over. He kept playing but was too slow by then. It was the day Ken Fletcher cut open Billy Barrot's eye with an errant boot, and had it stitched on the boundary...no interchange in those days.

I worked with his nephew Danny because around 2000 and he said his whole family thought it was Sheeds who wrecked him. I thought it was Dean.

Someone already mentioned him, but Ben Haynes should really have been a 150+ game player for us.  Silky smooth half-fwd flnaker, read play well and moved in a way which reminded me of Mark Mercuri.  Really thought we'd snaffled one from under Richmond's nose there.  Sadly it seems he just didn't have the work ethic required.

Someone already mentioned him, but Ben Haynes should really have been a 150+ game player for us.  Silky smooth half-fwd flnaker, read play well and moved in a way which reminded me of Mark Mercuri.  Really thought we'd snaffled one from under Richmond's nose there.  Sadly it seems he just didn't have the work ethic required.

Yep - good call on Haynes. Silky skills.

Just looking back through this thread makes me wonder whether any ex-EFC players are now Blitzers. I don't know why I got to thinking that ... I suppose there's some sort of possibility.

On a similar note - and sorry for the digression but this doesn't fit in any other thread - does anyone remember the "Peter Bennett fraudster" from the early 80s? This guy was going round passing himself off as Peter Bennett (ex Essendon and Hawthorn footballer) and using his fake identity to somehow defraud people. Before the cops got on to him he actually approached me at Princes Bridge railway station after a game and asked how the Dons went. He told me he used to play for us, then told me he was Peter Bennett. He looked a bit like Bennett so I believed him and we chatted for a while. Strange little episode.

Didn't Johns kick 20 goals in half a vfl game in 2003.

Four goals in a quarter, 10 marks (yes, i counted), much of that with the fifty metres cleared of everyone but him and his two opponents. 'Twas awesome, and there were only about 6 people behind his goals, myself included.

We were way behind at half-time, and Alessio kicked the last-minute goal for us to beat Werribee.

Yep - good call on Haynes. Silky skills.

Haynes' problem was that he had one of the best, and most often used, short steps in history. All skill, no ticker, was Ben.

Alwyn Davey must be one of the shortest in my time of watching. was Willie ■■■■ Shorter perhaps?

He was a bit stiff not to get a few more games.

Barry Young.  In 1999 I thought he'd become an important player for us after missing most of the previous 2 seasons.  He was never a highly skilled player but seemed a real heart & soul player (bit like Heath Hocking).  Then after his best year for us he walked out on the club & into the PSD.  I was dissapointed but in hindsight I'm not sure who's spot he could have possibly taken for many games in 2000.

1 Like

Barry Young.  In 1999 I thought he'd become an important player for us after missing most of the previous 2 seasons.  He was never a highly skilled player but seemed a real heart & soul player (bit like Heath Hocking).  Then after his best year for us he walked out on the club & into the PSD.  I was dissapointed but in hindsight I'm not sure who's spot he could have possibly taken for many games in 2000.

Barry leaving had absolutely zero to do with football I'm afraid.

not happy

was barry

with someone he

was sposed to marry.

not happy

was barry

with someone he

was sposed to marry.

Ah, I'm remembering now, something about Bazza's mrs but can't recall who else.

not happy
was barry
with someone he
was sposed to marry.

Got Calthorped

not happy
was barry
with someone he
was sposed to marry.

Got Calthorpedoed

fixed

Am I out of line saying James Hird? It seemed to come and go so quick. Then those long injuries in between.