Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Calthoropedoed. Awesome boot!

“hey calthorpe you fat pig, you belong on a spit” was one of the great all time calls from the outer. The fact that calthorpe and mercs heard it, and mercs laughed his ■■■ off made it all the more hilarious.

1 Like

Someone already mentioned him, but Ben Haynes should really have been a 150+ game player for us.  Silky smooth half-fwd flnaker, read play well and moved in a way which reminded me of Mark Mercuri.  Really thought we'd snaffled one from under Richmond's nose there.  Sadly it seems he just didn't have the work ethic required.

Yep - good call on Haynes. Silky skills.

Haynes' problem was that he had one of the best, and most often used, short steps in history. All skill, no ticker, was Ben.

I thought he was one of the biggest squibs I've ever seen. I don't like guys who put in short steps, but I can understand it. I can't stand guys who just get out of the way like I saw him do one day in the 2s. And the guy challenging him was not big.

Barry Young.  In 1999 I thought he'd become an important player for us after missing most of the previous 2 seasons.  He was never a highly skilled player but seemed a real heart & soul player (bit like Heath Hocking).  Then after his best year for us he walked out on the club & into the PSD.  I was dissapointed but in hindsight I'm not sure who's spot he could have possibly taken for many games in 2000.

We needed his spot for JJ, who'd been injured through 1999. BY asked for big bikkies and priced himself out of  a job.

Someone already mentioned him, but Ben Haynes should really have been a 150+ game player for us.  Silky smooth half-fwd flnaker, read play well and moved in a way which reminded me of Mark Mercuri.  Really thought we'd snaffled one from under Richmond's nose there.  Sadly it seems he just didn't have the work ethic required.

Yep - good call on Haynes. Silky skills.

Haynes' problem was that he had one of the best, and most often used, short steps in history. All skill, no ticker, was Ben.

I thought he was one of the biggest squibs I've ever seen. I don't like guys who put in short steps, but I can understand it. I can't stand guys who just get out of the way like I saw him do one day in the 2s. And the guy challenging him was not big.

I liked his skills, so I was trying to be polite AN.

Adam Ramanauskas. He played 130-odd games for us, but we were robbed of his absolute best football years.

Most of the names in this thread are of players who had short careers because they were no good at senior level.  Ramanauskas is an exception: he was sensational in his first year and for the next few, and had he not then been struck down by illness, he might still be playing.  Coleman was another cut down in his prime, but by injury, not illness.  Baker was with us for only a few years, but they were great ones.  From the same team, Paul Weston, whom Sheedy named in his "best I have coached" team as full back ahead of Fletcher, but came to us late in his career and was here only a few years.  

Adam Ramanauskas. He played 130-odd games for us, but we were robbed of his absolute best football years.

Most of the names in this thread are of players who had short careers because they were no good at senior level.  Ramanauskas is an exception: he was sensational in his first year and for the next few, and had he not then been struck down by illness, he might still be playing.  Coleman was another cut down in his prime, but by injury, not illness.  Baker was with us for only a few years, but they were great ones.  From the same team, Paul Weston, whom Sheedy named in his "best I have coached" team as full back ahead of Fletcher, but came to us late in his career and was here only a few years.  

one football bio actually worth reading.

Rama ? Hands equal of Greg williams

Rama ? Hands equal of Greg williams

Better overhead, better and faster on the run, longer kick and probably kicked more goals per game.

Apologies here… Milne.

One of the best ever on our rookie list. Prior to any knowledge of character of course.

Aaron Keating for Adelaide, 6 games including 2 premierships!

Kepler Bradley

What about Wanganeen? Probably would’ve won 99 & 01 with him in the side

Thought Greg Anderson was asked to do too much in 91 and 92 which I suspect had something to do with him leaving.

Ripping player around then.

Thought Greg Anderson was asked to do too much in 91 and 92 which I suspect had something to do with him leaving.
Ripping player around then.

Should've asked him to do a bit more with his hair, woeful

Glenn Kilpatrick was handy and then he went to Geelong and blossomed.

What about Wanganeen? Probably would've won 99 & 01 with him in the side

Yeah but imagine the salary cap issues.

brown visy bags worked well in the 90s

Geoff Blethyn came and went very quickly.
He kicked 100 goals I think in about 1972, Tuddenham’s first year as captain coach.
Went to wA for work. There was an article in the HS about him recently.

Geoff Blethyn came and went very quickly.
He kicked 100 goals I think in about 1972, Tuddenham's first year as captain coach.
Went to wA for work. There was an article in the HS about him recently.

Blethyn was a ripper. We wanted to pay the guy peanuts and he left. Fair enough.

Barry Day,came over with a huge rep,played a handfull of games than dissapeared.

Lewfatt another who vanished, can anyone shed any light why?