Should I buy a pool?

So I’m considering getting a pool whilst the kids are still young, but wanted to get opinions off people that have a pool first?

So to set the scene, I live in Melbourne about 1 km from the beach and have a big North facing back yard with lots of lawn, so am looking at getting a 10m x 4m fiberglass pool. I’m expecting cost will be around $70k+.

So before I invest all this money, can I get people’s opinions on the following.

• Maintenance cost per annum?
  • Maintenance effort?
  • Melbourne weather and whether you get use out of the pool?

Is there anything else that I should consider before buying one?

I don’t own a pool but yes you should.

5 Likes

End of discussion, go to the beach instead

9 Likes

Go for a nice spa instead! Less earthworks, kids enjoy it, can have evening beers with the partner and overall less maintenence! As your kids get older, a spa might appeal more too. In the m3an time make friends with pool neighbours!!

5 Likes

We’ve got a pool at our holiday house about 7 years ago. Kids lost interest after a while so we got a spa which they use all the time.

We are currently trying to sell the house and the pool is a major hindrance.

In saying that if I had one at home that also functioned as a lap pool I would consider it. Would have been heaven during lockdown.

The other thing is do you like your neighbours? Cos they will be knocking on your door all the time.

2 Likes

:thinking: I give up. Should you?

1 Like

Dan won’t let us.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll bring beer’s.

1 Like

Thanks. I actually would only consider getting a pool because with my bad knees I could do some laps to keep fit.

Interesting that the pool is hindering the sale of the house. I guess people either really want pools or really don’t.

The only pool you’ll ever need.

10 Likes

Alright, everybody in the pool!

4 Likes

Not true. My dogs keep chewing them up.

70 grand?

That’s a lifetime of pool passes at your local council pool and no maintenance.

Get the kids a trampoline or something and spend the money on a new bathroom/kitchen/extension or upgrade the car.

3 Likes

You see, the pool will pay itself off.

3 Likes

Spa with turbo jet to swim against. :+1:

Just one type, there’s many,… but this one you can take with you if you want.

download

People generally like a Spa when it comes to resale, . Pools are expensive to build, run and heat and high maintenance etc.

3 Likes

Yeah, but I don’t want to drive to get to the pool. I want to strip down and jump straight in.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/fill-n-fun-sea-pool/3134312

I charge $69,993 in consulting fees :joy:

3 Likes

Not much pro pools going on in this place!

You just saved me $69,993 :rofl:

1 Like

You could get Vanders over to build it.

Would be worth 70K do sit and drink beers and listen to him tell story’s.

3 Likes