Simmo picks some fights

Personally I’m ■■■■■■ because I believe you get one chance per generation to turn a club around.
McGuire did it with Collingwood
Lyon at Saints
Clarkson at the Hawks
Sheeds with us
Gale at Richmond.

Ours was with Hird and Bomber and we blew it. I’ve moved on from the point where the AFL screwed us because they’ll screw anyone who doesn’t have a backbone. But I haven’t moved on from the way the club screwed the fans.

But that’s a derail

Some of the stuff on this site is hard to read sometimes.
I get it’s an emotional game and some of the posters are genuinely young people who have no concept of filtering their thoughts.

The vitriol aimed at some of the players I find disgusting.
The majority of these players were not even drafted when the Saga happened.
Some were barely out of pre school when we won our last Flag.
Why do they have to carry the can for our childish impatience ?
They are simply forging their own careers as best they can, but because we haven’t tasted success for a while, the expectations on them get compounded…WHY ?

Life is way too short to be angry all the time.
If the Flag comes, it comes.
The uncertainty of them is what makes the feeling so great.
Like in 93, or Collingwood fans in 1990, or Richmond in 2017.

Regardless, I’m at a stage in life whereby I want to enjoy the wins.
It’s entertainment.
If you’re not getting enjoyment from it, then get a hobby and do something else.
There is a portion of people on this site that should definitely take this advice.

10 Likes

We beat the winless, bottom of the ladder team, who had their equivalent of our best two players benched with injury, by a couple of points.

I don’t have a problem with the way we played, I gave T-Bell votes, but he did fall way off in the last quarter which wasn’t exactly surprising.

Not taking another tall forward into that game was moronic, and I’m not sure whether that non -selection is arrogance or some sort deep self-defeating affliction.

But it was the difference between a solid win and only just barely getting over the line.
And I have no confidence that there will be any learnings from that.

So yay.
Kick the idiots who said we’d do poorly because we smashed it, apparently.

4 Likes

I think at this time mate, everyone is just dealing with their own stuff, and should be allowed to express their views/joys/frustrations however they see fit.

After sticking fat through the last 15 years, I don’t think anyone has the right to tell another supporter how they should and shouldn’t feel about the club.

If it annoys you to the point whereby it’s affecting your mental health, maybe take a step back and try not to pick fights with strangers on the internet.

At the end of the day, we’re on an Essendon supporter forum, clearly everyone here is passionate about this damn club.

5 Likes

I don’t buy that. At all.

Shoosh it up can ya!

1 Like

It’s a legit discussion that Simmo is trying to have and I fully support it.

There is a lot of negativity around here. And thats understandable to an extent, given how awful we have been for 15+ years, but it is completely over the top IMO.

The match day threads - I have never used these much in the past as I try to spend games with family or friends, but I’ve done more reading of them this year obviously. They are frankly a dead set disgrace. Every time someone turns it over, or picks a bad option there is a meltdown, and every time there is a goal against us it’s the end of the farking world. It’s not normal, it’s not healthy, and it’s completely divorced from reality. And when you consider what else is going on in the world at the moment, it’s also completely insignificant.

I’m not a clapper. I know that we suck. I get frustrated like everyone, sometimes really frustrated. But I also recognise this - it’s a leisure activity to watch a game. Not everything is going to go our way, nor can it. If we win, even if we play badly - that’s good. If we lose - well that’s disappointing and I hope we win next time. That’s what footy is supposed to be about and I reckon a lot of people in here have completely lost that perspective.

12 Likes

Nah this forum doesn’t affect my mental health. That all exists in a sphere that isn’t online. Well separated. Thanks for your concern though.

I worry about others. Expressing passion through negativity seems weird and unhealthy to me. But that’s me. I can’t make others think the way I do, but it doesn’t hurt to talk about it.

1 Like

I’m the first to tell people to Suck It, because it’s funny, but some of those quotes are genuine questions and opinions rather than people being nasty ■■■■■■■■■.

For instance you’ve got WOB there yet I had a bet with him, I bet we’d lose and he bet we’d win, so…? Now he’s getting a carton and a win so hardly rubbing it in.

Wob’s just super duper emotional. Most stupidly optimistic and stupidly pessimistic 5 minutes later. I don’t have an issue with that.

2 Likes

WOB is great. Passion is great when it flows both ways.

2 Likes

I can only speak for myself obviously. But in the real world I’m a bit more balanced in my negativity towards Essendon. At least I like to think I am.

On here it’s just fun to go full Bjork

3 Likes

Survivorship bias. A hundred other examples that were also blown. Port had Hinkley, Brisbane had Voss, Fremantle had Lyon, Carlton had Judd, etc etc etc

Also:

There’s now a proper, open ended ignore list with no time limits. There’s probably 3-4 posters who post the vast majority of the absolute idiotic drivel.

I dunno man. The game day threads are a cesspool. And it’s not just three or four people.

(Sorry I disagreed with you, please don’t ignore me)

1 Like

I stopped bothering with them a long while ago.

2 Likes

Any wonder his favourite player is McKernan.

He’s actually really not that pessimistic. Every game we chat about how we are going to win, even in 2016. Then about 5 minutes into the first quarter we want to burn everything to the ground… rinse and repeat.

It’s really the personal stuff against the club, staff and players that is out of line IMO. We’ve been horrendous for 15 years so the pessimism is expected, but no need for some of the comments towards Zaka, Bellchambers, Woosha etc. Unless it’s Kyle Reimers, because ■■■■ that guy.

9 Likes

Whoa, whoa. Lets not just forget this.

2 Likes

I try to use the match day threads to voice things that I would voice if I was at the football, which is mostly biased and probably incorrect complaints about the umpires.

1 Like

I’ve pretty much had to re-teach myself how to do this over the last couple of years. It’s not an easy thing to do but it’s worth doing.

A regular talking point I hear from pundits is people love to go to the footy and release their frustrations from the week by yelling at umpires or players or whatever. I personally don’t think that’s a healthy way of managing your emotions, like, at all.