Simon Madden - Open Mike on Monday 25th May

Been meaning to post about him for a while. I went to a lunch with him a few months back. He was asked about the Sorry Saga and his opinion basically mirrored everything that's been said in the Sorry Saga thread.

Say what you like, we copped our wack. BIG TIME.
No-one is investigating the AFL and their actions
No-one is investigating the ASADA and their actions
No positive tests.
James Hird doesn’t run the footy club.
Go look at the corporate governance and actually learn a thing or two about it before you crucify one man for a systematic failure
Some of the leaks were appalling.

It almost brought a tear to my eye.

Hoping Sheehan asks him about the saga.

Except that Sheehan will keep talking over the top and putting forth his position that we are drug cheats and there’s no question about it.

He always talks like he’s about to Vom

Been meaning to post about him for a while. I went to a lunch with him a few months back. He was asked about the Sorry Saga and his opinion basically mirrored everything that's been said in the Sorry Saga thread.

No positive tests.
Go look at the corporate governance and actually learn a thing or two about it before you crucify one man for a systematic failure

even before i read this excellent post I was hoping Madden would answer questions along the lines of, "Let me tell you about 1983, it was exactly 20 years before AFL and ASADA unfairly raped our club for p;olitical reasons and here's why..."

No positive tests.

That did not come across in the interview with Bomba. I thought Sheehan thought Hird shouldn’t be coaching.

No positive tests.

Might be part of the plan to let Simon off the leash here. He’s the only bloke that ever said “We know what the players were given”.

Now, he’ll have a forum with a wider audience to say it again … & perhaps more, in. Keep chipping away at the bullshit EFC.

No positive tests.

That did not come across in the interview with Bomba. I thought Sheehan thought Hird shouldn’t be coaching.

Pretty sure Peeto was quoting what Madden said at a lunch, not Sheehan.

No positive tests.

If you don’t understand the struggle, you don’t understand the success.

PEANUTS

Even if Sheahan lets Madden rip into Asada/the AFL/Media et al, it’s just as likely the producer will simply leave it all on the editing floor. I believe they generally shoot about an hour’s worth of vision and cut it down into the half hour show.

I remember meeting him a few times back in the day.
he was never too busy to stop and chat to a young kid who was a supporter.
True gentleman

I remember Donald McDonald tried to rough him up behind play at windy hill,I reckon Donald regrets his decision.i know Simon is no fighter but in a stand up grapple lasting about five minutes(I kid you not),he was far too strong throwing a million close range uppercuts.i was rapt because initially Simon wasn’t interested but McDonald gave him no choice.eventually madden ‘released’ him and he staggered away never to return,he was clearly disorientated and I was rapt.i also believe madden was a slightly better ruck than mcdonald

I remember Donald McDonald tried to rough him up behind play at windy hill,I reckon Donald regrets his decision.i know Simon is no fighter but in a stand up grapple lasting about five minutes(I kid you not),he was far too strong throwing a million close range uppercuts.i was rapt because initially Simon wasn't interested but McDonald gave him no choice.eventually madden 'released' him and he staggered away never to return,he was clearly disorientated and I was rapt.i also believe madden was a slightly better ruck than mcdonald

Understatement

I can remember one of the first games I went to as a kid was to watch us play at Moorrabin. I have 3 destinct memories of this.

1. saints supporters going around the boundary with their only flag being used to catch donations being thrown from the crowd.
  2. Their banner was made from newspaper
  3. I could only just see over the fence and in a close game they had a shot on goal and I can remember seeing the ball heading towards goal until some long arms and number 27 jumper leaped up and marked it on the goal line and the sound the ball made hitting his hands followed by the enormous groans of the saints faithful.

One other thing is in white shorts vs the saints in slop like that prick of a ground made it pretty hard to work out who was who

Did anybody catch this last night? Anything interesting said?

Went to a bomber night in gippsland in the 90’s as a 19 yr old. Simon was a speaker and after having a few cold ales went to get a picture with the great man. Wanting something different l asked if l could get a pic taking a big grab on his shoulders. He said no probs and grabbed me a chair and took 3 or 4 pics in different poses. He could have taken it as being disrespectful but he didn’t and joked around with a few of us for a while instead. Very down to earth and good man.

I remember Sheeds bringing the '84 Premiership side over to Collie in W.A. over the 1985 pre-season for a scratch match against Swan Districts who had come off a three-peat in the WAFL.

Got all the players and Sheeds autographs and always remember Simon making a huge impression on a 14yo self as he was just so friendly and seemed just like a big kid himself.

He also was the guest speaker at the very first meeting of the WA Bombers Supporter Group at Tony Buhagiar’s pub, The Leopold Hotel in Bicton, in the early nineties. He was very well received by the faithful that night.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching him on the show last night when Sh!te Mike wasn’t talking over the top and interrupting him.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2015-05-26/btv-simon-madden-on-open-mike

Legend.

Would dominate the taps + bag a couple of majors per game. Would kill for that output right now. He’d probably be the highest paid player in the game if he was available today.

I still rate Tim Watson ahead of Simon, just on his performances in big games. Simon had quite a few shockers in finals.

But it’s a clear top 3 with Hird, Watson and Madden.