Simon Madden - Open Mike on Monday 25th May

My dad and I used to do the statistics for Essendon in the Billy Stephen era (late 70s) and our seats were right in front of the opposition coach’s box. Barassi was coaching Norf one day and Madden was taking speckies all over the place - I think he kicked 5 or 6 - and my dad kept turning round and yelling out “What are you going to do about HIM Barassi, what are you going to do about HIM???” Imagine Barassi’s delight at being heckled by - of all people - the statisticians … I’m sure he just loved coming to Windy Hill.

Everyone who’s met Simon (off field) has had the same experience, the big jolly giant looking down on you, smiling and laughing and joking around. He occasionally came up to me in the rooms post-match and tousled my hair and smiled even when no other player would take any notice.

I still rate Tim Watson ahead of Simon, just on his performances in big games. Simon had quite a few shockers in finals.

But it’s a clear top 3 with Hird, Watson and Madden.

He was one of the only ones who had a crack in the 83 GF

I still rate Tim Watson ahead of Simon, just on his performances in big games. Simon had quite a few shockers in finals.

I had a crack at a Hawthorn supporter standing behind me.

“And that Humberto jnr, is how I met your mother.” :wink:

There was a GF in 1983?

That was a very difficult day for all of us HH. If only that magical evidence genie had been round to tell us what we had coming the next 2 years

Always thought he should have been in the afl team of the century as the resting ruckman. Never saw John Nicholls play but if he was better then Simon he must have been a freak. I just think when you hear from ruck experts, eg Sam Newman, a lot of them give Simon a huge wrap and say the best technical tap ruckman they have seen. Add to that his marking and that he almost kicked 600 goals, freak… for anyone to beat him to the 2nd ruckman spot behind Polly must have been beyond incredible.

There was a GF in 1983?
Yep and Alan Stoneham held up the premiership cup. I don't (want to) remember what happened after that.

There was a GF in 1983?
Yep and Alan Stoneham held up the premiership cup. I don't (want to) remember what happened after that.

Yep, likewise. We thrashed the filth, that’s all I remember.