FEARS are being held for dozens of people inside a Canadian mosque where three gunmen opened fire on Sunday night local time, killing five people.
The mosque, in Quebec City in Canada’s mostly French-speaking Quebec province, was attacked during evening prayers shortly after 8pm.
Witnesses said they heard gunshots fired from inside the mosque. Police responded, surrounding the centre and arresting two men. They erected a security perimeter and declined to comment to reporters about the incident.
Quebec Police, however, confirmed on social media that five people had been killed. They did not rule out the possibility of a third suspect who had fled the scene.
The gunmen are believed to have been wearing ski masks when they entered the Grand Mosque and opened fire.
One man who was inside when the shooting started said a bullet whizzed over his head. He said the gunmen targeted those who were praying, The Toronto Star reported.
The Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center, located in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood, posted a video on Facebook in the moments after the shooting.